D&D General For the Love of Greyhawk: Why People Still Fight to Preserve Greyhawk

Zardnaar

Legend
That's more than fair -and actually mirrors my opinion.

Clearly it's a labor of love with an attempt to do the original material justice. But the actual adventure - why is it so hard to write a good published adventure with the resources these guys have?

Adventure design is really hard.

No company can consistently make great Adventures.

Mortellan

Explorer
Just came on here to say great topic Snarf Zagyg! I've been beating the fandom drums with Greyhawk deep dives for a few editions now. So I love to see so many other people weighing in and discussing the setting. Keep it up guys!

I have always mentally defined "Sword and Sorcery" as "Like the Conan stories", but in the second definition listed here rather than the first. If a design goal of an entire campaign setting was even more pro-murder-hobo than base D&D....well....i'm not sure that's a good goal.

Murder-hobo seems like a pretty popular style of play. Why not make a setting in which murder-hoboing makes sense?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I would say that Theros (mythic play) is a counterpoint to that.
That is an expansion of the base rules in the PHB and it is optional. The issue, as I see it, is that gritty play involves a restriction on the options in the PHB.
To get gritty play as I see it, one would have to:
1) No ASI on level up. This makes lower level monsters more relevant for longer. I would allow feats though.
2) No long rests in the wilderness. Long rest needs a secure base in a town village or fortified camp guarded by hirelings.
This would be the minimum and I could see some as regarding it as not gritty enough.

For extra grit:
Characters start off as sidekicks and get promoted in to classed characters. Add in a lingering wounds system, like every time a character fails a death save they pick up a lingering wound.
For lack of low level magic, make the full casters multiclass to at least 3 levels in another class.

None of this, is stuff that I could see WoTC as ever officially supporting. If you have a different view of what is gritty play I am interested in hearing about it.

Of course for a real old skool feel make 'em roll 3d6 in order ;). I, of was a generous DM back in the day. I allowed roll 3d6, 7 times, pick the best 6 and if the ability mods added up to less than 2, I allowed a reroll.

You’d also want to severely limit classes to reduce the amount of magic in the players’ hands (fighters, rogues, non-magical rangers, non-magical paladins, divine sorce (for limited healing) and other sorc (for limited magic)), and I really don’t see that going well.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You’d also want to severely limit classes to reduce the amount of magic in the players’ hands (fighters, rogues, non-magical rangers, non-magical paladins, divine sorce (for limited healing) and other sorc (for limited magic)), and I really don’t see that going well.
I don't think you need to go that far, although I also don't think a rebooted Greyhawk should be "Sword & Sorcery" in the vein of Conan, either. (I said it earlier, but I think Black Company, First Law, and the Witcher are better literary inspirations.)I think the important thing is to give PC magic classes a sense of gravity and place. A wizard PC should be an apprentice to a wizard who apprenticed to Mordenkainen. If they meet an NPC wizard, there should be a recognition of each other, because there aren't that many wizards in the world and they all know each by sight and/or reputation.

I think the important thing is to give PC magic classes a sense of gravity and place. A wizard PC should be an apprentice to a wizard who apprenticed to Mordenkainen. If they meet an NPC wizard, there should be a recognition of each other, because there aren't that many wizards in the world and they all know each by sight and/or reputation.
I get your point, but low magic settings in D&D tend to inflate the importance of casters vs. non-casters. Low magic tends to mean fewer magical items, which are a way to give non-casters extraordinary abilities outside combat, and it also means fewer countermeasures against casters, which also benefits them.

Again, while I understand why you’d want to ensure the feel that there are few spellcasters andthey sll know each other, given that half the classes are at least part-casters, I find that would be difficult to do while maintaining verisimilitude. A typical 1st level party could consist of a paladin, ranger, wizard, cleric and hexblade warlock, after all.

jasper

Rotten DM
@Urriak Uruk.. However, if you make Greyhawk too vague, it seems more like a kitchen sink (using your words) that can be planted in any "generic default fantasy."….

It is NOT Kitchen Sink. It is Kitchen Chef. Where you have a well known menu aka the modules. But enough blank spots, and permission for the chef (DM) to make it their own.

Remove ads