D&D 4E For the post 4E world, what will your game be?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
So we know that 4E is ending, and by next year at this time we'll likely be looking at 5E's launch.

I like 4E, and I've been playing it since launch. I'm assuming that most of the folks in this forum think likewise (for the most part anyway...) so I thought I'd ask what are your plans for a post 4E system.

Here's where I am: I like 4E, and the campaign I'm in is at mid paragon, and will be going to low to mid epic before it's done. So we're going to be playing 4E for a while, definitely including after it's no longer the official edition. After that? I would probably play another campaign of it, but if all of the online tools disappear, that will make things more difficult for me (certainly not impossible).

The core of 5E does not interest my group. Now it's a given that we have seen very little of 5E, but it is looking like more of a retro-clone than something new, and no one in my group wants that (otherwise we would be playing it already... there are dozens of them out there, it seems).

So we're starting to look at systems to switch to after 4E and our 4E campaign ends. The problem is, there aren't many game systems out there that give us what 4E does, so we have a dilemma.

What makes 4E a great system is the depth of character options, along side the relative balance of play, and the interesting play. I find 4E combat to be the most fun and interesting that I've seen in an RPG in a long time.

So where from here? I like a lot of what I've seen from 13th Age (which is surprising, since it's not a tactical-battle mat game) but what I like is how the different characters really seem to have depth and options to them. I'm also a big indie gamer, so the FATE-like aspects interest me.

I've also seem Arcanis, which has detailed and balanced characters, and has an interesting combat mechanic.

And there's always HERO, which has a great power system, and is supremely flexible.

So that was a long way of saying "what do you think you'd move to as a system after 4E, provided that you want to move on," and "do you have any suggestions for a system that is similar to some aspects of 4E that I might have missed?"

Any thoughts are welcomed!

Still 4e.

One of my biggest complaints about 4e is the bloat, which will be ending. So it's not a tragedy. I'd like to see some adventures though, and not Fourthcore format.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, my face-to-face will be staying 4E, I am pretty sure, but my online play might go 5E. Right now my online play is sometimes Labyrinth Lord (1E) or 3.5, so 5E might have a place there.

For online, i want a simpler system than 4E.

Pour

First Post
Well I'm continuing 4e for at least the remainder of my current game (another year or so, I imagine). From there I think we're going to playtest various systems (13th Age, 5e, and my 4e heartbreaker chief among them). Then we'll make a judgement call. My gut tells me it's going to end up some rendition of 4e, but who can say.

For in-person games, though, I think we will be sticking to 4e. The guys really know the rules, really like the rules, and we've a ton of material yet to even scratch, so it just feels right staying.

And I plan to continue my (slow) work at fourthparty, along with whoever else is willing. So it should be at least one of the systems I actively play.

Truename

First Post
I'm going to wrap up our WotBS game (currently at level 18; goes to 30) and then we'll probably either take a break or give 5e a serious try. I figure we've got 12-18 months left in our WotBS game, so the timing's good.

My main desire for running 5e is a adventure path on calibar with [MENTION=63]RangerWickett[/MENTION]'s stuff. I'd love to run Zeitgeist, but there's enough little things that bug me about 4e--mostly verisimilitude and combat speed--that I think I'd rather switch to 5e than spend another 3-4 years on another full campaign.

It all depends on what the rest of my group wants, though. They really like 4e. And Zeitgeist looks good enough to delay switching for. :) But only if the Compendium and Character Builder stay up. I wouldn't want to run 4e without the online tools.

You could probably run Z in 5e. Depending on the license restrictions, we might do conversion notes, but I don't think we'd do a full conversion.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Well I'm going to be moving shortly, so I'll be looking for a 4e group or starting one of my own. Specifically, the Complete 4th clone I've been enjoying for about a year now. Haven't been using DDI anyway, so I won't miss it. :cool:

There's a good chance I'll be introduced to PF within the next month, 'cause I'm friendly with a Paizo fan where I'm headed. But I know enough about PF that C4 will remain my go-to choice as a DM.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depends on the DM. We have one guy who runs 4Ed- everyone else runs 3.5Ed. Occasionally, we play another RPG or genre altogether.

Remove ads