WotC Forbes’ Brett Knight visits Wizards of the Coast.

Brett Knight sits down with Cynthia Williams and talks about the future of the company with Dungeons and Dragons. As Cynthia Williams settles into her chair atop a bearskin rug, three dragons stand watchful guard over her shoulder—each no more than a foot or so tall but no less fearsome, with plastic flames pouring from one’s mouth. The glass cases lining the room are filled with more...

Brett Knight sits down with Cynthia Williams and talks about the future of the company with Dungeons and Dragons.

As Cynthia Williams settles into her chair atop a bearskin rug, three dragons stand watchful guard over her shoulder—each no more than a foot or so tall but no less fearsome, with plastic flames pouring from one’s mouth. The glass cases lining the room are filled with more horrible creatures, shrunken down in plastic miniature: ogres and devils and hobgoblins. Drawers pull out to reveal hundreds of polyhedral dice, with 10, 12 or 20 sides. Where a jumble of letters adorns the wall outside, the push of a button illuminates a hidden message: “Those granted entry shall be rewarded.”

1665528398153.png

Brett Knight mentions several things we already know, that D&D sales are growing rapidly among a younger audience.

Arpiné Kocharyan, a UBS analyst, estimates that D&D is now responsible for $100 million to $150 million in annual revenue ... around 40% of D&D players are now female ... 24% of D&D players are between 20 and 24 years old ... revenue up a reported 35% in 2020 from 2019 and more introductory D&D products sold in 2021 than when they were released in 2014 ...

They discuss the opportunity to grow via the VTT and DnDBeyond and marketing and selling digital things, about doing movies and TV, etc. Brett includes some history and quotes from the D&D historian Petersen, from Tim Kask, and the Hasbro CEO, Chris Cox.

I'm not sure how much is new in it, it does seem rather light for folks that have been reading about D&D and Wizards, but it's nice to see Cynthia Williams get some press. Here's hoping to hearing more from her.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Also, its (pretty) official, read it and rejoice!

"in what would equate to a sixth edition"
Since when are editorial opinions of experts published in a accredited site/magazine not a source for a conversation?

This seems odd like people are tryin to discredit it because they don’t like it.
TerraDave refers to the statements as being (pretty) official.

But it's not. It's nothing like an official statement. It's not someone who writes regularly about D&D, nor gaming, nor general busines.
Knight is a sports writer, a good one. He didn't get a source to say that it's sixth edition and nothing that he's written for Forbes indicates that this is a topic on which he's should be considered an expert - it's his first non-sports credit there.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah but not like this. We are already seeing 2 of the 3 classes getting a rewrite. Almost every feat. The base rules (feats no longer optional)
The revisions are compatible, however: all existing Bard, Ranger, and Rogue Subclasses will work with what we've seen already, and that will only improve as they nail stuff down. I'm not saying it isn't a revision, because obvious it is: but Monopoly, Settlers of Catan, and other evergreen games go through big revisions, roo (Monopoly was on it's 9th Edition, last I recall hearing). Doesn't mean the 5E evergreen strategy isn't still working.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Since when are editorial opinions of experts published in a accredited site/magazine not a source for a conversation?

This seems odd like people are tryin to discredit it because they don’t like it.
...? I didn't say I didn't like it (for what it's worth, I consider the 2014 "5E" to be somewhere between the 8th-17th Edition of D&D), just pointing out that an explanatory aside from a random journalist (no more expert than anyone here) isn't some sort of "official" statement.

JEB

Legend
Since the article isn't directly citing Wizards for that statement, I wouldn't count it as official acknowledgment that 1D&D is a 6E. Just the author's assessment.

The most official statement we have thus far on 1D&D being a new edition is in the One D&D FAQ:
Is One D&D introducing a new edition of D&D?

It’s bigger than that. One D&D will usher in the next generation of D&D with new and more comprehensive versions of the core rulebooks that millions of players have enjoyed for the past decade. The rules will be backward compatible with fifth edition adventures and supplements and offer players and Dungeon Masters new options and opportunities for adventure. The evolution of fifth edition has shown us it’s less important to create new editions of the game and more important to grow and expand the game you love with each new product.

Which never directly answers the stated question, but does make it clear that they see 1D&D as both an upgrade of "fifth edition" and distinct from it. This impression is reinforced by other answers in the FAQ. It'd certainly be reasonable to conclude that 1D&D would "equate to a new edition" as the author states, even if Wizards never uses the 'E' word.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Since the article isn't directly citing Wizards for that statement, I wouldn't count it as official acknowledgment that 1D&D is a 6E. Just the author's assessment.

The most official statement we have thus far on 1D&D being a new edition is in the One D&D FAQ:

Which never directly answers the stated question, but does make it clear that they see 1D&D as both an upgrade of "fifth edition" and distinct from it. This impression is reinforced by other answers in the FAQ. It'd certainly be reasonable to conclude that 1D&D would "equate to a new edition" as the author states, even if Wizards never uses the 'E' word.
The same company that brought a "half-edition" to the market and people still call a whole Edition 3.5...

The same company that brought a "half-edition" to the market and people still call a whole Edition 3.5...

20 years ago...

I am not sure what we dig up when we look at other companies or what you or I did 20 years ago...
For me it is half a life ago. For some of the designers and people in charge it is several generations ago.
Most gamers who play now don't even know what happened 20 years ago, and surely can't remember, because they have not been born yet.

So what is the purpose of such a statement?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
20 years ago...

I am not sure what we dig up when we look at other companies or what you or I did 20 years ago...
For me it is half a life ago. For some of the designers and people in charge it is several generations ago.
Most gamers who play now don't even know what happened 20 years ago, and surely can't remember, because they have not been born yet.

So what is the purpose of such a statement?
To point out that arguing about what a "real" Wdition is, is BS.TSR and WotC have both historically abused the term for marketing BS, which h us why WotC is now avoiding using the term for their marketing even if it is accurate. Is OneD&D "really 6E"? No, there have been way, way more than six Editions of D&D. The argument is silly.

You are entitled to that opinion, and you may be correct.
thank you for giving me permission to have an opinion?
What is this?!?! of course we all have our own opinions?!?!
As @Parmandur just posted, it comes off as editorializing to me.
editorialization from a trusted educated source.
The news business these days is not about the truth or being 100% correct, it is about selling thing (papers, airtime, advertising, etc.) and making money. It is also in many cases about making very complex and intricate issues into very simple stories without much nuance, because simple is easy to explain and it sells.
okay please give this conspiracy theory were stating it is 6e even if they don't call it that makes them more sales/money? I want to see this connection.
Some may claim I am being too cynical here, and perhaps I am. There certainly are good journalists out there who do great work, and the vast majority of journalists, even the ones I have issues with about their editorializing, do not set out to mislead or create false narratives. But in most cases they simply do not have the expertise and knowledge (education as you put it) to fully understand what they are reporting on/writing about.
no one is selling more papers/subscriptions/ads based on calling 1D&D a new edition or not.

TerraDave refers to the statements as being (pretty) official.

But it's not. It's nothing like an official statement. It's not someone who writes regularly about D&D, nor gaming, nor general busines.
Knight is a sports writer, a good one. He didn't get a source to say that it's sixth edition and nothing that he's written for Forbes indicates that this is a topic on which he's should be considered an expert - it's his first non-sports credit there.
he is a reporter. He has talked to people and has (at least) as much info as anyone here does (most likely more since I doubt even 1 in 10 enworld posters talked to anyone at WotC)

and no one has claimed it an official WotC decleration (that wouldn't even make sense with the wording)

See this "oh it's different but not a new edition" dance is just a line for advertising.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads