• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forbidden message board buzz words of 2004

babomb

First Post
Mystery Man said:
Verisimilitude - I can barely type it, let alone say it.

It's a darn useful word. The only other good choice is <i>realism</i>, and if you use that, you'll get people saying "It's a fantasy game. It's not supposed to be realistic. :rolleyes:".

As for pronunciation: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?verisi02.wav=verisimilitude

Mystery Man said:
Ubiquitous(sp?) - again, WTF? use omnipresent for freaks sake!

I don't see the advantage of using <i>omnipresent</i>, apart from it being slightly easier to spell. (You have <i>ubiquitous</i> spelled correctly by the way.) In many cases, the connotation of <i>ubiquitous</i> is more appropriate. In the same way, <i>enormous</i>, <i>huge</i>, and <i>immense</i> are synonyms, but they don't mean <b>exactly</b> the same thing.

<b>Edit:</b> typoes.

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
I've got one: "fluff" used as a pejorative.

You know, the old "rules vs. fluff" chestnut. One is essential, the other is lightweight, airy...who'd notice if it were to simply blow away?

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I would like to see 2004 become the Year of the Apostrophe or, more specifically, the Year of the Proper Use of the Apostrophe on Messageboards.

Yes, let's use the apostrophe correctly. "It's" means "it is", it is not the possessive form of "it" which is simply, "its". The plural form of nouns that end in the letter "s" do not require an apostrophe before the magic "s".

Of course, I would like to see 2005 be the Global Year of the Return to Real English Not the Bastardised American Version but I'm sure this will place me in an even smaller minority.

Cheers
D

Ferox4

First Post
Derulbaskul said:
Of course, I would like to see 2005 be the Global Year of the Return to Real English Not the Bastardised American Version but I'm sure this will place me in an even smaller minority.

789603.1.jpg

Last edited:

Malk

First Post
oh yes, real english...as opposed to what it evolved from. Or as opposed to what <i> that </i> evolved from. It drives me crazy when someone says that there is one "real" way to speak and/or write a language. Why dont we speak the language of Dickens, or the language of Shakespeare, or the language of Chaucer? Because language evolves, its a beautiful ever changing creature.

oh yeah did i mention i dislike grammer....and to think i wanted to be an english/lit major.

Remove ads