• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forbidden message board buzz words of 2004

Ian the Mad said:
Well, yes, the various scandanavian borrowings were more of a "You got your Old Norse in my Anglo-Frisian!" "You got your Anglo-Frisian in my Old Norse!" "Two great tastes that taste great together!" case than anything else. And yes, there wasn't a lot of direct borrowing from Latin outside of religious terms, at least in the Old English period, but it's fun to blame it for everything, anyways.

To conclude, we should all just learn Proto-Indo-European and be done with it.
Ah, a man after my own heart, I see. We should start up competing P-I-E boards; I bet it would catch on like nobody's business.

Malk

First Post
(Malk's fiance responding) I agree with Gez. I've known French for about eight years so I've some fluency, and reading the second passage was considerably more easy. It's mainly because those who learn a second language usually learn it through text and writing. I'm more familiar with written french. If I were to read each passage out loud they would sound similar, but I wouldn't recognize every word unless I saw it written well.
For example with the "u" in the first passage and "eu" in the second. I would pronounce both virtually the same, but didn't recognize "u" as the french word for had until I saw it spelled correctly. That's just one example.
Oh yeah, and the they're their there mix-up that seems to get most people drives me absolutely insane as a native English speaker.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads