• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forbidden message board buzz words of 2004

Dogbrain

First Post
I propose the following four words be banned from use here:

Uutzquadge
Yarptacular
Bzznoit
Flarootkie

I like to pick battles I can win.

Gez

First Post
Dogbrain said:
I propose the following four words be banned from use here:

Uutzquadge
Yarptacular
Bzznoit
Flarootkie

I like to pick battles I can win.

Thanks for the new sig!

Dark Jezter

First Post
How about Mature Themes?

"Oooh, this book is going to be the greatest suppliment ever because it has an Elf Domanatrix prestige class as well as spells that prolong orgasm. Mature themes rock!"

DrZombie

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
DC Stupid
Lawful weird
inishnivit (initiative)
Doubts (instead of questions)
Incorrect use of their, there and they're
Once again, for those who missed it the first time:
their = possessive form of they.
there = a place
they're = they are
I'd like to see you write in dutch, or french, or in the most spoken language on the planet : chinese.

Just be happy that people from allover the world try to play together, although i must agree that sometimes it's a bit hard to know what they mean (and sometimes it's just plain hilarious)

Gez

First Post
DrZombie said:
I'd like to see you write in dutch, or french, or in the most spoken language on the planet : chinese.

I'd like to see you try to read a text with poor grammar and spelling in a language that is not yours. English is not my mother tongue. Reading fugly English (with chat abbreviations, phonetic confusions, and typos) is harder than reading proper English.

The they're/there/their confusions, notably, may slow down comprehension of a sentence, because the grammar error change the meaning of the sentence, and you have to reconstruct it. This effort is probably greater for people who are less used to phonetic (spoken and heard) English than native speakers.

Or, to get an example, for the people around here with some basic training in French, what do you find easier to understand:

Je prob c ke ce bouquin offre des sort EXTREMEMENT bourrins .... c vraiment un grios defaut
kunkun de mon club JdR la acheter, je pense l'utiliser pour donner un sort simpa si on ve pa donner d'ekip
ya des objets ki peuvent etre marrant ... g pa trop u le temps de bien le regarder encore ...
je te conseil de le feuilleter chez l'acheteur pour que tu voye bien de koi il retourne et ensuite a toi de te faire ton opppinion par rapport au gas ki jouent avec toi et kiki masterise et le reste ...

(Example taken from this messageboard.)

Or this:

Le problème, c'est que ce bouquin offre des sort extrêmement bourrins .... C'est vraiment un gros defaut.
Quelqu'un dans mon club de JdR l'a acheté, je pense l'utiliser pour donner un ou deux sort sympas quand je ne veux pas trop donner d'equipement magique.
Il y a des objets qui peuvent être marrants... Je n'ai pas encore trop eû le temps de bien le regarder...
Je te conseille de le feuilleter chez le vendeur pour que tu vois bien de quoi il retourne, et ensuite, à toi de te faire ton opinion par rapport aux joueurs et au MJ de ton groupe.

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Gez said:
I'd like to see you try to read a text with poor grammar and spelling in a language that is not yours. English is not my mother tongue. Reading fugly English (with chat abbreviations, phonetic confusions, and typos) is harder than reading proper English.

The they're/there/their confusions, notably, may slow down comprehension of a sentence, because the grammar error change the meaning of the sentence, and you have to reconstruct it. This effort is probably greater for people who are less used to phonetic (spoken and heard) English than native speakers.

Or, to get an example, for the people around here with some basic training in French, what do you find easier to understand:
We're probably the only two who can read both, although I had a hard time with the first one. I know what you mean, but there's a difference in making the occasional spelling or grammar mistake, and typeing in abbreviated roleplayspeak. Funny thing is that a lot of native english speakers are the worst offenders in using weird abbreviations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads