• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forbidden message board buzz words of 2004

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
babomb said:
I don't see the advantage of using <i>omnipresent</i>, apart from it being slightly easier to spell. (You have <i>ubiquitous</i> spelled correctly by the way.) In many cases, the connotation of <i>ubiquitous</i> is more appropriate. In the same way, <i>enormous</i>, <i>huge</i>, and <i>immense</i> are synonyms, but they don't mean <b>exactly</b> the same thing.

Omnipresent and ubiquitous have slightly different shades of meaning, too... simply put, "omnipresent" refers to one object that is everywhere while "ubiquitous" refers to a type of object that is everywhere; i.e., one that is not always the exact same OBJECT but multiple OBJECTS that are identical.

Air is omnipresent. Telephones are ubiquitous.

For words like ubiquitous... and verisimilitude... there simply is no better word for the idea, and they are not "slang" (like "broken" or "nerfed") - they are words with concrete definitions appropriate for use in certain context, and with no good (or better) equivalents.

--The Sigil

Derulbaskul said:
I would like to see 2004 become the Year of the Apostrophe or, more specifically, the Year of the Proper Use of the Apostrophe on Messageboards.

Dang, I thought you meant the Zappa song.

Yes, let's use the apostrophe correctly. "It's" means "it is", it is not the possessive form of "it" which is simply, "its". The plural form of nouns that end in the letter "s" do not require an apostrophe before the magic "s".

Just so I know (because I'm not entirely sure), what happens to apostrophes (for the possessive form) when the word they are attached to words that end with an "s"?

Thanks in advance

AR

edit: grammer aaahahaha spelling.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
One more that annoys me: Using GRAMMER instead of GRAMMAR. The funny thing is, whenever I see the word "grammer" pop up, it's usually in a post correcting someone else's...

Edited for poor grammar... :p

Last edited:

Ferox4

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
Dang, I thought you meant the Zappa song.

Don't eat the yellow snow....

Just so I know (because I'm not entirely sure), what happens to apostrophes (for the possessive form) when the word they are attached too ends with an "s"?

Thanks in advance

AR

s' is the proper plural four nouns ending in "s"

Example:
Whose dog is that in the backyard?

Oh, it's the Jones' dog.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
eponymous
sacrosanct
sesquepedalian
enema
piehole
rouge
kewl
ad hominem
"for all intensive purposes" (for all intents and purposes)

and my absolute anathema...

munchkin power-gamey

Davelozzi

Explorer
Derulbaskul said:
- discussions about FR and Greyhawk are not allowed to degenerate into the infantile blatherings of unemployable nebbishes;

I thought we'd already left that behind, in 2002 if not even earlier. I haven't seen a Forgotten Realms vs. Greyhawk flame fest in quite some time.

Remove ads