D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil,

While I was playing around with the Custom Races, I noticed a few things. 1- For Custom Races, it doesn't include Speed/Size/Vision as part of the Race details on the "Start" tab, but it does for all of the pre-configured races. 2- When setting up the 3rd Custom Race (I left the other two there to sort of provide guidance), I notice that there isn't a way to denote "+1 to two other stats" so that it shows up in the Race Details, like it does for Half-Elf. 3- If you have a defined stat bonus (let's say +2 to Strength) and then you have a variable stat bonus (let's say +1 to one other stat), in the Race Details where it stat bonus bullet, it lists the defined stat bonus and then puts a comma behind it and nothing else. But, looking at the 2nd Custom Race you already input (Minotaur), it has a defined bonus (Str) and then a variable bonus (str/con/int), but it doesn't put a comma after the +1 Str in the Race Details section.

Thanks for the great feedback, good to find these issues.

1. Fixed for version 1.56, custom races will include speed, size and if vision is not "normal" this will also be added to the details.
2. I'll look into seeing what can be done here for showing +1 to one or more stats [UPDATE] Added feature to v1.56
3. I'll look at adding text on point 2 if the custom race has a variable bonus [UPDATE] Added feature to v1.56

Last edited:

Mergon

First Post
ForgedAnvil:

YAR (Yet Another Request). Again for 1.56 or later.

On the Custom tab of course; any chance of another description line below 'Languages'? It would be for equipment granted by the Background. At the moment I am just adding that information to the bottom of the Feature description text field.

Also, in reference to someone else's request for Passive (Investigation) fields/boxes. At first I also thought this was something only granted by the Observant feat. However, I have since discovered that Passive can be used with other skills also. The reference to this in PHB is obsure, but has been confirmed by officials sources. I'll see if I track those references down again and add a link here.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2l69tp/ama_mike_mearls_codesigner_of_dd_5_head_of_dd_rd/

You can find the reference to Passives (by Mike Mearls) by doign a webpage search usign the 'Passive" keyword.

I will paste the relevant section here for you"

"
[–]mikemearlsHead of D&D R&D[S] 36 points 9 months ago
Any skill can be used passively - it's up the DM to apply that as needed.
For perception checks, you passive result is always in effect. If you could see something with a DC 10 check and your passive is 11, you see it without rolling.
Keep in mind, though, that a DM might rule otherwise. Passive checks are a tool that groups can use to speed up the game or move past die results that slow things down or lead to a grind."

In the PHB, p.175:

"A passive check is a special kind o f ability check that
doesn’t involve any die rolls. Such a check can represent
the average result for a task done repeatedly, such as
searching for secret doors over and over again, or can
be used when the DM wants to secretly determine
whether the characters succeed at something without
rolling dice, such as noticing a hidden monster."

At the very least, if you go with the idea that the only way to get Passive Investigation is through the feat, it would be nice to have Passive Perception show up with Passive Perception. :)

Mergon

First Post
ForgeAnvil:

I wanted to post these links here so other DM's could see it. I also think this would be a great addition, as great an addition as your latest Wildshape addition, but that is neither here nor there as it would involve major work and another tab being added as Wildshape did.

Anyways here are the links. They all are in reference to toe same materials:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2j6xbo/5e_guide_to_homebrewing_races/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit

These links all concern a point-buy system for creating races. The individual who created it based it on all the official races/subraces from official bases races and those from Unearthed Arcana races. From what I have read, this system works.

What I like is that it can be handled by excel with reasonable easy; if a fair bit of data entry work. :)

I am thinking about creating an Excel race builder myself, even though it would be unusable with your builder or MadBeard's auto-calc pdf character sheet.

Let me know what you think; if you haven't already seen it that is.

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgeAnvil:

I wanted to post these links here so other DM's could see it. I also think this would be a great addition, as great an addition as your latest Wildshape addition, but that is neither here nor there as it would involve major work and another tab being added as Wildshape did.

Anyways here are the links. They all are in reference to toe same materials:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2j6xbo/5e_guide_to_homebrewing_races/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit

These links all concern a point-buy system for creating races. The individual who created it based it on all the official races/subraces from official bases races and those from Unearthed Arcana races. From what I have read, this system works.

What I like is that it can be handled by excel with reasonable easy; if a fair bit of data entry work. :)

I am thinking about creating an Excel race builder myself, even though it would be unusable with your builder or MadBeard's auto-calc pdf character sheet.

Let me know what you think; if you haven't already seen it that is.

Thanks for sharing, an interesting read - it would be a massive task to implement this though. If you plan on doing it, good luck and have fun! Should be cool once you finish

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil:

YAR (Yet Another Request). Again for 1.56 or later.

On the Custom tab of course; any chance of another description line below 'Languages'? It would be for equipment granted by the Background. At the moment I am just adding that information to the bottom of the Feature description text field.

Also, in reference to someone else's request for Passive (Investigation) fields/boxes. At first I also thought this was something only granted by the Observant feat. However, I have since discovered that Passive can be used with other skills also. The reference to this in PHB is obsure, but has been confirmed by officials sources. I'll see if I track those references down again and add a link here.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2l69tp/ama_mike_mearls_codesigner_of_dd_5_head_of_dd_rd/

You can find the reference to Passives (by Mike Mearls) by doign a webpage search usign the 'Passive" keyword.

I will paste the relevant section here for you"

"
[–]mikemearlsHead of D&D R&D[S] 36 points 9 months ago
Any skill can be used passively - it's up the DM to apply that as needed.
For perception checks, you passive result is always in effect. If you could see something with a DC 10 check and your passive is 11, you see it without rolling.
Keep in mind, though, that a DM might rule otherwise. Passive checks are a tool that groups can use to speed up the game or move past die results that slow things down or lead to a grind."

In the PHB, p.175:

"A passive check is a special kind o f ability check that
doesn’t involve any die rolls. Such a check can represent
the average result for a task done repeatedly, such as
searching for secret doors over and over again, or can
be used when the DM wants to secretly determine
whether the characters succeed at something without
rolling dice, such as noticing a hidden monster."

At the very least, if you go with the idea that the only way to get Passive Investigation is through the feat, it would be nice to have Passive Perception show up with Passive Perception. :)

For the request, there is no starting equipment implement for any backgrounds. For custom races, I like the idea to add it to the last feature description - it works very nicely.

Agree that passive Perception is unique for passive skills and you are always listening and seeing and hence important enough to show on the character sheet as there is no roll required for this unless the character says specifically "I'm going to keep a look out for..." or "Can I see or hear...". It is used very often in the game. (I reference the same pages in my previous post on in reply to flwad)

I would say every other skill check require a character to prompt the DM e.g. for investigation a character may say "I'd like to examine the chest". If you have the time then use passive investigation to examine in detail over a long period of time (maybe with advantage, +5, if someone with proficiency in Investigation helps the character to investigate and if the character has the Observant feat then an additional +5 - this is shown in the feats section).

If anyone has further details on it I'm happy to read through the material but for now I think having passive investigation is not needed as passive ability score.

Last edited:

Mergon

First Post
ForgeAnvil:

Well, I've got the basic layout and some partial trait data entered so far for a D&D 5e Basic Race Builder. Like you might expect I'll have to play around with the layout more once I have the rest working.

If you like I can post a screen shot or 2. Once I have a functional beta complete, I'll have to post it and set up my own forum I guess so I don't clutter yours up. :)

JohnZSmith

First Post
Am I missing something, or is there currently no way to add a custom subrace or language to the sheet? If I missed it, could someone tell/show me how to do it? If not, is this something that could be added on a future update?

Thanks!

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Am I missing something, or is there currently no way to add a custom subrace or language to the sheet? If I missed it, could someone tell/show me how to do it? If not, is this something that could be added on a future update?

Thanks!

When using the custom sheet you design the full race including subrace, e.g. High Elf. At this stage there is no option to use an existing race and add a subrace to it. The Example Character Zenith has a few examples. Note you can use formula to enable things at certain levels as well e.g.

="Example Spells
- Know the light cantrip"&IF(CharacterLevel>=3,"
- Cast lesser restoration","")&IF(CharacterLevel>=5," and daylight as a 3rd level spell","")&IF(CharacterLevel>=3," once, regain this ability after a long rest","")&"
- Spell Ability (Cha) Save DC = "&8+ProfBonus+CHAMod

For custom languages, you can type any language you like into the Start sheet under languages and they will be displayed on Character Sheet I. Though you won't see an script used (even then some languages are not written)

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgeAnvil:

Well, I've got the basic layout and some partial trait data entered so far for a D&D 5e Basic Race Builder. Like you might expect I'll have to play around with the layout more once I have the rest working.

If you like I can post a screen shot or 2. Once I have a functional beta complete, I'll have to post it and set up my own forum I guess so I don't clutter yours up. :)

Sounds like a good start, yeah you'll need to create a forum section for your tool and upload / update as you see fit. I'll check it out once you've got a beta version up and running.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgeAnvil:

A requested feature for 1.56 or later. On the Character sheet II, any chance of changing the fields for the Location column to drop downs? This drop down would provide a list of containers and body slots. ie: neck, waist, body, backpack, pouch, component pouch, haversack, bag of holding, etc.

Btw, is your Beta 1.02 available for downloading anywhere.

This would be strictly a matter of convenience, so would not be a rush matter. It might be of use later on for further builder features though. :)

Had a quick look at locations, here is a basic list. Any other locations that you can think of (also any that should be removed)?

[UPDATE]

Arms / Wrists
Back
Backpack
Bag of Holding
Bandolier
Belt
Belt Pouch
Boot (Left)
Boot (Right)
Case, Crossbow Bolt
Case, Map or Scroll