D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I'm under the impression that the Unearthed Arcana columns are just being put out there essentially as optional rules, in much the same way that the races from the DMG were. Where did you see that they're "highly volatile" and would be released officially at some point? I'd love to see that, but I just don't expect it to happen in the next two years or so. I could see the release of all of the Unearthed Arcana columns as an official book when there are enough of them, but that would be a long way out.

That said, I think it would be sweet to include them in the builder. (I think I'll be switching over to a Storm Sorcerer, and the Eberron stuff is great (yay, Warforged).)

As always, thank you for such a wonderful builder.

FYI, below is the section relating to UA and being draft material. I completely agree with the material being in draft form and probably changing (possibly significantly) in future official revisions or not being officially released at all. To implement something that is in draft can be painful to change in future versions of the tool and prefer to wait until more official updates are available. Great stuff to playtest and have some fun with though, providing feedback and recommendations to improve these materials is the best bet if players want official rules on what is presented in UA.

UA Eberron.png

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
This sheet is amazing. I love it.

I have only one small suggestion package:

1) A box to check if you have the Background/Class inventory.
2) On a related note: Packs. The ability to select something like the Explorer's Pack and have all the related gear appear.
3) some form of drop down to select gear like you have with weapons.

I again say this is an amazing work. Thank you so much! I intend to donate to your beer fund next payday.

Thanks for the feedback, implementing the options above are certainly possible.

Option 1 I'm not 100% sure on what you mean. Do you mean starting equipment? More detail required.
Implementing option 2 would require a macro, something I am avoiding though to maintain compatibility with other Excel versions across different platforms.
Implementing option 3, the list would only be a drop down and not automatically populate the weight. It would be just as fast for most items to type in by hand, but still useful for touch based devices and for convenience

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil, thanks for a great work, you have helped me manage my group char creation! You are the best!

Only a question, you think that maybe in the future you will traslate your sheet to other languages?

Thanks!

Thank for the feedback. Other languages is possible, but requires a fair amount of work. One of the challenges I know difficult is the design space. Text cells are a fixed size and the translated text must fit into the cell size and displays correctly. Some of the formatting of text will also be lost once the cell is a formula e.g. =VLOOKUP(Language,LanguageTable,LanguageColumn,FALSE)

I think starting with Character Sheet I as a test might be okay. What language are you interested in?

madrivi

First Post
Thank for the feedback. Other languages is possible, but requires a fair amount of work. One of the challenges I know difficult is the design space. Text cells are a fixed size and the translated text must fit into the cell size and displays correctly. Some of the formatting of text will also be lost once the cell is a formula e.g. =VLOOKUP(Language,LanguageTable,LanguageColumn,FALSE)

I think starting with Character Sheet I as a test might be okay. What language are you interested in?

Well, thanks for your time ForgedAnvil! It could be superb if the Character sheet were traslated to Spanish, my friends read English with more or less success, but for some of them a Spanish traslated Character sheet...well it coul be like Christmass time :)

Thank you!

These sheets are awesome! The only thing that prevents me from using them regularly is the small size of the print on things like spells, racial traits/abilities, etc. My eyesight is not great, and the text is hard to read when printed on paper, even with my bifocals. Is there a way to auto-scale the print size based on the available space in the field?

Sorry if this question has been asked elsewhere. Again, thanks for all your work on this amazing project!

Taed

First Post
OOOOOOOOOHHHHH that would be awesome. My old eyes would really appreciate something like this.

Totally agree! I take off my glasses and hold the printed sheet close to my face anytime I have to look at anything that is not a large number. On the other hand, I appreciate the layout and small number of sheets, so just auto-sizing to the allocated field would be wonderful.

ratdebois

Villager
Perhaps I'm missing something, but for the life of me, I cannot find the sub-races. I read the release notes for 1.45, but I am simply unable to make a High Elf. Just an Elf, without a subrace. Can someone point me in the right direction, because I'm sure I am just overlooking something.

Other than that, this tool has been amazing. Makes life A LOT easier.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Perhaps I'm missing something, but for the life of me, I cannot find the sub-races. I read the release notes for 1.45, but I am simply unable to make a High Elf. Just an Elf, without a subrace. Can someone point me in the right direction, because I'm sure I am just overlooking something.

Other than that, this tool has been amazing. Makes life A LOT easier.

What version of Excel are you using? The subrace cell is directly below the race cell, the text only appears if you have a race that has a subrace (this functions correctly with Excel 2010-2016).

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Totally agree! I take off my glasses and hold the printed sheet close to my face anytime I have to look at anything that is not a large number. On the other hand, I appreciate the layout and small number of sheets, so just auto-sizing to the allocated field would be wonderful.

Most text is already at maximum scale to fit the cell size (slightly large in a lot in cases, e.g. font sizes of 10.5). working on making the Race, Background, Class and Feats sections larger and using Arial, not Arial narrow).

For Character Sheet III recommend to print on two pages, there is a detailed description on how to do this using Excel in this thread

Remove ads