• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Dhomochevsky

First Post
Beautiful sheet, but without UA support its kinda doomed to uselessness as there's very little mechanical content for players coming out for 5e "officially".

Dannyboy7702

First Post
Beautiful sheet, but without UA support its kinda doomed to uselessness as there's very little mechanical content for players coming out for 5e "officially".

The Unearthed Arcana is "playtest material" which makes it "unofficial". Until Wizards publishes any of the UA material in any of the rpg books (i.e., supplement, accessory or adventure), Forged has stated he will not add them to his CS.

Forge's CS is in my opinion is a "GREAT CS" & is not doomed or useless. If you want to use any of the of the UA material, you can just print off blank pages of the CS and manually enter (i.e. write in) the info.

wilcoxon

Explorer
The Unearthed Arcana is "playtest material" which makes it "unofficial". Until Wizards publishes any of the UA material in any of the rpg books (i.e., supplement, accessory or adventure), Forged has stated he will not add them to his CS.

Forge's CS is in my opinion is a "GREAT CS" & is not doomed or useless. If you want to use any of the of the UA material, you can just print off blank pages of the CS and manually enter (i.e. write in) the info.

I recognize Forged can do anything he wants with his sheet. I doubt it is doomed without UA content. However, he is losing users because he does not have UA (or allow people to add UA by unlocking all tabs and having instructions). I used to use Forged sheet all the time but all of the non-AL local games I've been in the last 6 months or so allow UA material so I've switched to using MPMB's PDF generator as it does support UA material (including for my AL characters so I only have to remember the quirks of one generator). I truly wish Forged and his users all the best but, unfortunately, I can't use his sheet any longer.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
I recognize Forged can do anything he wants with his sheet. I doubt it is doomed without UA content. However, he is losing users because he does not have UA (or allow people to add UA by unlocking all tabs and having instructions). I used to use Forged sheet all the time but all of the non-AL local games I've been in the last 6 months or so allow UA material so I've switched to using MPMB's PDF generator as it does support UA material (including for my AL characters so I only have to remember the quirks of one generator). I truly wish Forged and his users all the best but, unfortunately, I can't use his sheet any longer.

First off, I am not going to debate you or argue with you on who has the better CS. It would just be a waste of time. Second, to say that... "Forged is losing users because he does not have UA (or allow people to add UA by unlocking all tabs and having instructions)" is conjecture. Have you asked everyone single person that follows Forge and uses his CS? The answer is no. You may not like the way Forge does his CS and that is your opinion which is fine, but don't say his CS is "doomed to uselessness". If there is something you don't like about the CS that is fine, just don't go bashing it and say another builder's CS is better, because it has something you want in it. Finally, third, don't say in one post that the CS is "doomed to uselessness" and then say in another post that "I doubt it is doomed without UA content". You are just contradicting yourself.

I thrown in my $.03 worth opinion. Have a good day.

Dhomochevsky

First Post
Finally, third, don't say in one post that the CS is "doomed to uselessness" and then say in another post that "I doubt it is doomed without UA content". You are just contradicting yourself.

Two different posters. Also, I tend to agree that while it is not literally doomed, it is quickly becoming irrelevant to the kinds of hardcore players that use these sheets often. That was my intent.

talosilus

First Post
Two different posters. Also, I tend to agree that while it is not literally doomed, it is quickly becoming irrelevant to the kinds of hardcore players that use these sheets often. That was my intent.

And again, you are only speaking from your viewpoint and do not speak for all of the so called "hardcore players" for which I am one of them and I know alot more like me as well. So from your viewpoint, you think it is becoming irrelevant, but from my viewpoint it is the total opposite.

wilcoxon

Explorer
First off, I am not going to debate you or argue with you on who has the better CS. It would just be a waste of time. Second, to say that... "Forged is losing users because he does not have UA (or allow people to add UA by unlocking all tabs and having instructions)" is conjecture. Have you asked everyone single person that follows Forge and uses his CS? The answer is no. You may not like the way Forge does his CS and that is your opinion which is fine, but don't say his CS is "doomed to uselessness". If there is something you don't like about the CS that is fine, just don't go bashing it and say another builder's CS is better, because it has something you want in it. Finally, third, don't say in one post that the CS is "doomed to uselessness" and then say in another post that "I doubt it is doomed without UA content". You are just contradicting yourself.

I thrown in my $.03 worth opinion. Have a good day.

You might want to actually read posts before you respond to them.
* You are conflating two completely different posters - I never said anything about Forged being "doomed to uselessness". Particularly telling since you just recently questioned Forged on how he could have Beta 11 (eg you didn't read that post very well either).
* I never debated anything about which character generator was better. Personally, I think Forged is better than MPMB (if nothing else, I prefer Excel to PDF) but it is no longer fit-for-purpose for the games I play in so I can't use it.
* Reading these forums, it is obvious that he's losing users because he does not support UA (multiple people have said so). Nobody except Forged could likely say if he's losing more users than he's gaining. All I asserted is that he's losing users because he does not support UA (which is provably true).

talosilus

First Post
Remember that you can used named fields in the overrides area. So, if you want something have your Wisdom as the attack stat, you can override the Attack Bonus to be "=ProfBonus+WISMod", and it will automatically update when your Proficiency bonus or Wisdom modifier changes. Overriding damage to use Wisdom, you'd have to do something like "=Concatenate("1d8+",WISMod)"

Spending a little time with learning the various bonus/mod names (or just taking a guess and scrolling through Excel autocomplete) really shows just home customizable this tool can be. And just how amazing ForgedAnvil is with spreadsheet coding. :)

Thanks for the formulas. As I was trying to use them I also looking to see how you would add the Bonus Value (The field right under Weapon in the Attacks Columns) from a Magic Weapon or Item to the Attack and Damage amounts. I found the Attack1bonus but that covers the whole amount including Profiency Bonus & Attribute Bonus. I just want the field that stores the value from the Bonus Field only.

jrowland

First Post
[MENTION=8184]wilcoxon[/MENTION]

For what its worth,

A free character sheet doesn't really have to worry about the number of users. He offers it for free. I, for one, am grateful.

Adolann

First Post
Sounds like you are looking for StartAttacksAttack1Bonus (fill in the number for the appropriate attack).

<Edit> This is in reply to the post about the Bonus value for attacks that would be added to a weapon (like a magic +1 weapon). For whatever reason, I forgot to include the post I was replying to. </Edit>

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads