D&D 5E Forget about the treasure and pricing system of 5E!

ccs

41st lv DM
For some reason I feel the currency system is really only there for realism. Would save a lot of trouble if money was removed completely from the game. And treasure chests only contain better equip / magic items / spell ingredients instead.

Then my players would also stop trying to loot every single item just to be disappointed later that they can't do much for the gold.

That they can't do much with thier gold/$ is your failing as a DM.

Edit: I can't tell if the last part of the quote is in jest or is serious.
If in jest, then read my reply as such.
If serious, then so is my reply.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ah, finally home with my books, my precious precious books...

Well, if you want to build a large caste, that's half a million GP. And the daily expenses are are 400 gp, probably more if you want some really good retainers on hand to keep an eye on things. That's another 146 000 GP per year.

This is in the DMG. So there you go :)

1,000 gp: Create a 24-hour ward in an area against teleportation and planar travel. The ward can also be set to damage celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and/or undead that try to enter.

You probably would that for the vault.

Nevvur

Explorer
Ah, finally home with my books, my precious precious books...

Well, if you want to build a large caste, that's half a million GP. And the daily expenses are are 400 gp, probably more if you want some really good retainers on hand to keep an eye on things. That's another 146 000 GP per year.

This is in the DMG. So there you go :)

You probably would that for the vault.

Though one would assume a significant portion of the upkeep costs are covered by taxes. WotC fails for not including a tax system.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Though one would assume a significant portion of the upkeep costs are covered by taxes. WotC fails for not including a tax system.

You know the living cost, thus the earning, of various social strata. It's possible, with but a few minutes of work, to deduce the income of a certain area.

Yaarel

He Mage
View attachment 90168
Treasure is such a headache for me as a dungeon master with no time between sessions that I simply avoid awarding much of it. I rarely use published modules, but even when I do, I ignore the written treasure unless it is particularly interesting. I do however like to throw in weird stuff to puzzle and gratify the players.

As for gold, I just adjudicate whether a player can buy or pay for something according to an approximate wealth level. Hardscrabble beginners or a party down on its luck can hardly afford a night at an inn; successful adventurers do not worry about daily expenses or renting mules or buying mundane equipment; parties that receive notable rewards from the powers that be can live like lords.

No magic shoppes in my 5E game however since items are unnecessary for battlefield success.

Sounds good.

CapnZapp

Legend
Ya, there does seem to be some nostalgia behind the complaints. Every edition needs to be treated as its own system, even when the developers cast it as being inspired by various elements of its predecessors. A dynamic, wealth-based upgrade track didn't survive into this incarnation. As far as I'm concerned, that's a development choice, not a failure of the system.
At the risk of tedium, allow me to summarize the complaint as succinctly as I can:

1) official treasure tables yield hundreds of thousands of gold
2) official gold sinks only concern downtime
3) official adventures have next to zero downtime

Ergo, heroes sit on piles of gold they have no use for.

Note the distinct lack of old-edition references or nostalgia in this simple line of argument.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads