• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Forgotten Realms] The Wall of the Faithless

Myrkul is back, though. That makes at least some of the events in NWN2 MotB (the part where he is basically deleted from existence) rather non canon. VGs are canon only if they don't contradict other FR products.

You don't have to erase Myrkul's soul in that game. You can just leave him be or do it in a way that makes it so that he can come back anyway. Plus there was an artifact revealed called the Crown of Thorns that he created that contained a part of his soul. As long as the Crow existed he could never truly fade. So even if you eat his soul in MotB the Crown is still around with a part of his soul in it. So no matter what you do to his soul there. You will always miss a piece.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
His backup plan being a horrible soul-eating curse rather than a crown is a much better thing, and it ironically turning on him to consume him is the better ending still

It should be canon, I tells ya.

His backup plan being a horrible soul-eating curse rather than a crown is a much better thing, and it ironically turning on him to consume him is the better ending still

It should be canon, I tells ya.

Both were his backup plans. The Curse was created before the Crown. He put his soul into the Crown just hours before his death. To not have ore then one backup is foolhardy.

Hussar

Legend
I would have a major problem with a player who, on one hand, wants to play a Faithless character, denying the gods are worthy of worship, but on the other hand sidles up to the cleric every time he has a boo boo.

It's basically trying to eat your cake and have it too. "Hey the gods are a buncha bastards and nogoodniks. Now, make with the raise dead so I can keep playing this character." It's ludicrous.

If you want to deny the gods, fair enough. But that choice carries consequences. I'd pretty much write off that player as not really being interested in actually playing the character he claims to want to play.

Mirtek

Hero
Myrkul is back, though. That makes at least some of the events in NWN2 MotB (the part where he is basically deleted from existence) rather non canon. VGs are canon only if they don't contradict other FR products.
While you're right about the canon status of FR video games in General, note that erasing Mrykul in this game is not a problem for canon.

Slain deities often leave multiple complete imprints of themselves behind at the moment of their destruction.

Each thinking it's the one and only true remnant of the deity and not even knowing that there are other out there.

So Myrkul hat one piece of himself in the Crown of Horns and another in his astral corpse. Both with his full personality and memories, but seperate from each other noth believing to be the only what's if him.

Mirtek

Hero
.I kind of like the idea of a crossover, where the Gods of Greyhawk get wind of what's going on over in the Realms and pay a visit to the Realms to kick a little butt.
Why would the neutral and evil deities of Greyhak care? Incabolous might already be lobbying for them to do the same, as he finds the idea of the wall delightful.

Even if they attacked, they'd outmatched, Planescape lauds the faerunian Pantheon for it's staggering number if greater powers.

MG.0

First Post
Why would the neutral and evil deities of Greyhak care? Incabolous might already be lobbying for them to do the same, as he finds the idea of the wall delightful.

Even if they attacked, they'd outmatched, Planescape lauds the faerunian Pantheon for it's staggering number if greater powers.

Maybe they heard how the FR deities are funnelling souls and depriving the more general planes of the normal flow (again, it could be a long game move by the Far Realm secretly directed by AO). Maybe one of a billion different reasons. Use your imagination.

As for being outmatched, numbers aren't everything. Who's to say the relative strength of gods from different worlds?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I would have a major problem with a player who, on one hand, wants to play a Faithless character, denying the gods are worthy of worship, but on the other hand sidles up to the cleric every time he has a boo boo.

It's basically trying to eat your cake and have it too. "Hey the gods are a buncha bastards and nogoodniks. Now, make with the raise dead so I can keep playing this character." It's ludicrous.

If you want to deny the gods, fair enough. But that choice carries consequences. I'd pretty much write off that player as not really being interested in actually playing the character he claims to want to play.

It's a bit hypocritical, but people are very often hypocritical.

One of the main themes of my long-running campaign is that the gods are simply higher forms of being. They have great power and influence the world significantly, but they did not create the cosmos, nor the mortal races.

Some of the PCs in my campaign have become very aware of this, and they behave accordingly. We have a few different groups of PCs of various level. The highest level PCs are aware of the true nature of the Powers. They're also becoming increasingly powerful themselves, and are beginning to deal directly with beings of great power, such as Demon Princes and Lorda of Hell and Proxies of the Powers themselves.

They respect the Powers, but they generally no longer worship them. One of the PCs is a dwarven cleric of Moradin. He venerates Moradin as the patron of dwarves, but he is no longer under the illusion that Moradin created the dwarves. That doesn't mean that Moradin does not act on their behalf and is therefore worthy of honoring. So he honors Moradin and because he is a champion of the causes that Moradin supports, he receives spells, and uses those to help his allies.

As with so much of this debate, it's up to the individual DM/group to decide how all of this works. I personally can agree with a lot of the criticism of the whole Faerunian afterlife and the Wall of the Faithless in particular. If the gods are to be viewed as actual shapers of the cosmos and the creators of mortal life, then the Wall simply serves to show their imperfection, and therefore undermines their claim to authority.

I think it's an interesting concept and opens up tons of ideas and potential stories. But I can't really see such stories going any other way than to rebel against the idea of the Wall. Who would support such a clearly flawed system?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads