D&D 5E Forgotten Realms version?

ruleslawyer

I love the 1e grey box. I actually use it as my primary source (my 3e, iron heroes, and 4e FR campaigns all started in 1357 DR). Loads of adventure hooks and just enough detail to make places interesting without overwhelming the reader with data.

The 3e book is definitely comprehensive, which makes it a good option right there. However, it does incorporate a lot of rules content that is no longer applicable to 5e.

The previous edition materials should be available as PDFs on drivethrurpg or some such no?

pukunui

Legend
So far my secondhand copy of the 3r campaign guide has proven invaluable for my Legacy of the Crystal Shard campaign. One of the PCs contracted wererat lycanthropy, and the player wanted to know when the next full moon was. I determined it randomly, then later looked in the FRCs and was able to calculate it exactly using the info contained therein - only to discover that my random date was actually the right one! LOL.

Hello, from a first time poster. I have the original grey box with all its bits from back in the day. Having had a very long break I have been tempted back into the RPG fold again (combination of turning 40 and harking back to my youth, and the release of 5E). The 5E modules seem firmly FR-set, which is great for me, but how much am I missing from not having the 3.0 version? Does it add a lot? Is the 5E setting so very different from the Grey Box version? Thanks in advance.

Agamon

Adventurer
My opinion is that you can run any edition of FR with 5e, just ignore the crunchy rules and use the setting info. Heck, you could run an FR game using Dungeon World, GURPS, or most any other FRPG.

My currently 5e game is set in Silver Marches, using the excellent SM setting book along with the 3e FR book. But I could have just as easily used the 1e The North book with the 1e boxed set. Use whatever you like, own, or are most familiar with.

Irennan

Explorer
Hello, from a first time poster. I have the original grey box with all its bits from back in the day. Having had a very long break I have been tempted back into the RPG fold again (combination of turning 40 and harking back to my youth, and the release of 5E). The 5E modules seem firmly FR-set, which is great for me, but how much am I missing from not having the 3.0 version? Does it add a lot? Is the 5E setting so very different from the Grey Box version? Thanks in advance.

Hard to tell, since we don't have enough info on how the 5e FR will look like. However, from all their talking, it seems that the post-Sundering Realms will get a lot of their previous features and familiar faces back in addition to the overall ''feel'', to the point that the Grey Box could resemble the setting during the 1490s DR.

But really, as it has been said many times, use and customize Realmslore how you like. The setting is yours to use, after all.

Thanks - I'll confess my ignorance about the Sundering etc, due to my long absence and missing out (if that's the right phrase) on all the edition wars. I'm kind of hoping that Myth Drannor hasn't been wiped out in the 5E iteration!
But, then, (cue Malcolm in the Middle theme tune) as DM I can decide who, what, where and when, right? It's just been so long that I'm hoping I don't have to tweak too much to fit the "official" setting as I'm planning to run LMOP and then HOTDQ with my players. Assuming they don't end up as toothpicks for Tiamat and friends, I'm kinda hoping to incorporate the Dales in their continuing adventures (which is of course, in the great tradition of all best laid plans, when they decide they want to become pirates, invade Moonshae, or try their hands at the desert nomad lifestyle).
But then, I'd love that, too!
Haven't been this excited about a game in years.

Irennan

Explorer
Heh, the Shade flying enclave crashed on Myth Drannor as a result of the events in ''The Herald''. However -according to an article released on the WotC site- due to the spread layout of the City of Song, the damage has been contained and the place can still be rebuilt.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Hi!

Old returning gamer who has been lured back by some of my fellow wargamers to play roleplaying games again (some 12 years have passed since I DMed last time, almost 25 years since I sist DMed in Faerun). I were never a big fan of the more modern games like Pathfinder, D&D 3.5-4.0, and so forth but when I was able to get a copy of the new D&D 5 starter set when it was released I knew I was hooked. I preferred to create my own adventures back then, still do, but will buy anything that is released (and read it) including adventures.

My semi-noob question for you, seeing there is no Forgotten Realms setting book for 5th (yet), which book version should I get so I have some knowledge of the current version? There are some info in the Hoard and Rise adventures but since they almost feel you should have some knowledge of the realms, I am almost dumb struck where to begin. Should I get some D&D Forgotten Realms books (the parchment ones) or 4th ed. versions? The latter scares me as the Gods I knew (through all the computer games and some old novels like Streams of Silver) are gone and the world is more alien to me than the new 5th ed. version (though I like these new products).

One of the players is an avid Helm lover for some reason I might add.

'Elp!

Thanks! :)

(Or maybe I should wait for a 5th ed. if there will be one released?)

G'day!

It's a really interesting question and - as you've seen - there are a lot of different opinions on it. I'm not particularly fond of the 4E campaign setting book (too little information), nor indeed of the 3E setting book (too much information!), though the 3E book has one great advantage - it's available as a PDF ($15.99) from dndclassics.com

I am very much a fan of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, which I reviewed when it came out. I think it does a really good job of introducing a small, very interesting section of the world which has some relevance to a number of the recent adventures.

However, it's rather lacking on information on the gods and suchlike. We're at that stage where the best source for the Realms as it is now is still the 4E books, but the changes from the Sundering are rippling through the world making a lot of the 4E material obsolete. I'm pretty sure the fusing of the worlds has stopped (no extra continent), but it'll be a while before that properly gets reflected in a game product. And though the 1E-3E books are good, they really don't reflect the current state of the kingdoms in the realms.

Honestly, my suggestion is to just ask questions here about the Realms. Once we have more of a feel of what sort of things you need, then we can point you at the most appropriate books!

Cheers!

Thud.
"Head, is that you?"
"Yeah, hi Desk, don't mind me. Just trying to unlearn some news"
Thud.
"How's that working out for you?"
Thud.
Thud.
Thudthudthud.
"Nope, still in there"

Last edited:

HobbitFan

Explorer
To G Barrelhouse : I think your Grey Box would be just fine. The only 3E book that I can think really added alot lore-wise was Serpeant Kingdoms.

Use your 1E boxset as base and add to it what you think sounds cool.
If you plan on getting to Waterdeep, you probably can't go wrong with getting one of the Waterdeep sourcebooks from Waterdeep and the North (1st), Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, Waterdeep City of Spelnders box set (2nd editions stuff) to Waterdeep City of Splenders hardback (3E).
And so on. Look to see what's available for the areas you like and want more info on.

Push comes to shove, it's your version of the Realms that's important to you that really matters.
Maybe if we're lucky WOTC will catch on and actually start working on Realms stuff again and we can all play around in new stuff together.
Until then, we just have to do the best we can with what's out and hope that good stuff is coming!

My advice about 4E Realms, don't get it, don't read it and avoid internet discussion pro or con 4E as they can get heated and obnoxious.

Do you own thing until WOTC figures out what they are doing.

Have fun and I'll be glad to talk Realms with you anytime if you want!

Remove ads