Forked Thread: PS3 v. X-Box 360 - How Loud is Too Loud?"

Felon

First Post
Ah, the internet. When even the tiniest bit of hyperbole is present, the literalists come out in force. Shame on all of us, I guess.

Don't get me wrong. If you feel the need to defend one of the more prominent flaws of the 360 because it makes you feel better, then by all means. I just don't see why a widespread problem has to be ignored and swept under the rug.
How coy. So, exaggerating the issue with hyperbole should just be regarded as good, clean, internet fun, but should someone else take issue with the exaggeration, then label that guy as a literalist with a personal agenda trying to sweep the matter under the rug. The thing is, that all comes from someone who seems to crop in just about any thread where there's even a hint of an opportunity to side against the 360. So, while we're tracking agendas, when do you project that your heavily-biased axe will be sufficiently grinded (ground? grinded? whatever)?

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
How coy. So, exaggerating the issue with hyperbole should just be regarded as good, clean, internet fun, but should someone else take issue with the exaggeration, then label that guy as a literalist with a personal agenda trying to sweep the matter under the rug.
Heh. Well, not really. The "shame on all of us" comment was putting blame on both sides. I just hate the Internet Literalists more than the Internet Hyperbolists - the way I worded it was just my bias showing!

The thing is, that all comes from someone who seems to crop in just about any thread where there's even a hint of an opportunity to side against the 360. So, while we're tracking agendas, when do you project that your heavily-biased axe will be sufficiently grinded (ground? grinded? whatever)?
*shrug* Just noting my experience with my 360 (which I do own, BTW), "cropping into threads" when it's slow at the office. I'm not one for console wars. Whatever, d00d - love your 360 'til you're blue in the face. Don't let me stop you.

Banshee16

First Post
I just checked the power connector and the voltage on the back. It is, 16,5A.

Chart says:

12V Current Rating------------------------- Xbox 360 Revision
16,5A..........................................................Zephyr
14,2A..........................................................Falcon
12,1A..........................................................Jasper

That would suggest the model is in fact, a Zephyr - not a Falcon. A Zephyr build uses the same die size for the CPU and GPU that the release model uses. That would not be good and, as you suggest, would fit the fact that is is very loud.

Problem is, the power connector on the console itself is missing the black square block in the middle, which suggests the unit is a Falcon, not a Zephyr.

identifying_sm.jpg

The mftr date of Spetember 29/07, being after August 24/07 suggests that it is a Falcon as well.

I expect what is really going on here is explained by a build date of within about 5 weeks of when the Falcon's first started coming on to the market, At that time, there were parts shortages and a mix of parts in the mftr plant. Or perhaps better said, plantS. (i.e., they were assembling these in more than one mftring location at the time).

They were using the parts they had in inventory at the time, and were using up old stock when they could, newer parts when they had run out of old parts.

I got a new power connector as they had run out of old ones. The way Micrsoft's power connector design works is that a new power bar cannot be used to power an older design, but an older power bar can always be used to power a newer design. So. They may simply have run out of old power connectors at the time and I got a new Falcon one, but that, in itself, means nothing.

So I think it's fair to say that I really don't know what model my "newish" 360 is. What we do know is that it's really, really loud on idle.

I have read up on the Jasper and, given the price point on a new Arcade model, this seems like sensible advice.

Keep the used hard 120 GB drive, bring back the rest. Apply refund to purchase of new Jasper model Arcade version of a 360 - assuming I can find one to buy. That gives me a reduced die fab on both the CPU and the GPU and should result in significant noice reduction.

Currently, both the Jasper and the Falcon models are in the distro chain for the Xbox Arcade bundle. There are ways to check if it is a Zephyr or a Falcon from the info near the bar code, (so the article says), but I can tell you from my own odd experience in checking the above discussed "loud Flacon", that at least some of the info in this article which presents itself as certainty could well be wrong.

Anyways, the Jasper route + used hard drive seems to be good advice. It gives the added bonus of a new warranty, too. I think I'll go that route instead of an XB-01.

Try looking for units with a lot number higher than 843, I believe.....and manufactured in the second half of October 2008 or later. I think that increases your chances of finding a Jasper. I've looked at Future Shop, but every time I try, the bloody sales guy walks over and starts harrassing me about whether he can assist. And no, I'm not damaging the boxes looking for the power rating (which forces you to peel back the cardboard on the left side of that little window at the top of the box.

Supposedly Canada will get shipments a lot later than the U.S. and U.K.

Banshee

Aus_Snow

First Post
The only 360 I tend to come into contact with these days is a Premium (65nm Falcon, I believe) and, to my ears, it's fairly quiet. Granted, my PC isn't silent either, but it's hardly a chainsaw or the like. Actually, on the quiet end for a decent games machine, thanks to a sturdy & good quality case, excellent power supply, non-reference-cooling 4800-series graphics card, and quiet fans. And yeah, said PC is what I tend to judge other machines by. Including consoles.

Haven't heard one of the roaring beasts, but I'm willing to believe that they exist. Even the old PS2 wasn't all that quiet, IIRC.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Ah, the internet. When even the tiniest bit of hyperbole is present, the literalists come out in force. Shame on all of us, I guess.

The "literalist" comes out when some one goes from "this thing is as loud as a chainsaw!" to claiming that it is Truth, by such means as "does indeed" or other means. Hyperbole is exaggerating for effect, not claiming that it's the truth, as it were.

How is it being "blown out of proportion"? Are you denying the problem exists?

Or, alternately:
Don't get me wrong. If you feel the need to defend one of the more prominent flaws of the 360 because it makes you feel better, then by all means. I just don't see why a widespread problem has to be ignored and swept under the rug.

What I'm saying it, it's subjective, depending on location of box, phase of the moon, tolerance of the hearer, and 3,000 other things. And it's not so much sweeping a problem under the rug, this thread was forked from a dead thread to raise the subject.

"The 360 makes a lot of noise!"
"Yes, we know, so?"

None of us are new posters that are raising an issue we just became aware of. :)

Steel_Wind

Legend
**Update** Res Evil 5 Elite - Limited Edition

To update on the initial post, there have been some developments since January...

I've gone on quite a tear of buying PS3 games since - and several 360 games too. But most of all - I've been trying to get a satisfactory 360 to play these 360 games on.

Attempt No 1: I bought a Falcon 360 system in January - and it was noisier than my release system. Turns out it had its fans modded to full blast by my local game shop. That wouldn't do.

Attempt No. 2: I bought a used Falcon to repair off of eBay - and the seller lied to me. It wasn't just broken; it was outright missing parts. A hopeless mess of not even usable spare parts. *sigh*

Attempt No. 3: I bought a suposedly brand new Jasper Arcade off of eBay - and it turns out the seller lied to me and ripped me off. It was not a Jasper - it was a Falcon. Seeing as there were no Japsers to get in Canada at the time... I took the risk of eBay and got hosed on it. *sigh*

Attempt No. 4: All of that went by the wayside today as I picked up a brand new Resident Evil 5 Elite Limited Edition of the Xbox 360. This new Elite 360 uses the new Jasper motherboard/ 65nm GPU.

The results? In a word: Fan-frakkin-tastic.

When idling, my Elite system can barely be heard. It is actually at a noise level equal to my PS3.

I would not have believed it possible that a 360 could be that quiet. But, finally, Miocrosoft has delivered me hardware that almost can't be heard when it is on.

True, that illusion is shattered as a game spins up on the DVD drive - but I can install to hard drive to remove that issue - and I will.

If I was to actually use my 360 to stream media, I could reasonably do so. (I expect I will continue to use my PS3 for that purpose). Still - AMAZING.

Noise level on the Res Evil Elite 360 is a knock-it-out-of-the-park homerun for Microsoft as far as I am concerned.

I've avoided the RROD so far in my 360 experience. I hope that continues.

As for Res Evil 5 itself? I couldn't tell you. The machine won't read the disc. It reads the rest of my discs - so it's not the machine - it's the Res Evil 5 disc. A little shadow on an otherwise sunny out of box experience, but I'll live with it until Monday when I'll get a working copy from my FLGS.

Right now, I've got more than enough games to keep me busy! Game on!

Simplicity

Explorer
To update on the initial post, there have been some developments since January...

I've gone on quite a tear of buying PS3 games since - and several 360 games too. But most of all - I've been trying to get a satisfactory 360 to play these 360 games on.

Attempt No 1: I bought a Falcon 360 system in January - and it was noisier than my release system. Turns out it had its fans modded to full blast by my local game shop. That wouldn't do.

Attempt No. 2: I bought a used Falcon to repair off of eBay - and the seller lied to me. It wasn't just broken; it was outright missing parts. A hopeless mess of not even usable spare parts. *sigh*

Attempt No. 3: I bought a suposedly brand new Jasper Arcade off of eBay - and it turns out the seller lied to me and ripped me off. It was not a Jasper - it was a Falcon. Seeing as there were no Japsers to get in Canada at the time... I took the risk of eBay and got hosed on it. *sigh*

Attempt No. 4: All of that went by the wayside today as I picked up a brand new Resident Evil 5 Elite Limited Edition of the Xbox 360. This new Elite 360 uses the new Jasper motherboard/ 65nm GPU.

The results? In a word: Fan-frakkin-tastic.

When idling, my Elite system can barely be heard. It is actually at a noise level equal to my PS3.

I would not have believed it possible that a 360 could be that quiet. But, finally, Miocrosoft has delivered me hardware that almost can't be heard when it is on.

True, that illusion is shattered as a game spins up on the DVD drive - but I can install to hard drive to remove that issue - and I will.

If I was to actually use my 360 to stream media, I could reasonably do so. (I expect I will continue to use my PS3 for that purpose). Still - AMAZING.

Noise level on the Res Evil Elite 360 is a knock-it-out-of-the-park homerun for Microsoft as far as I am concerned.

I've avoided the RROD so far in my 360 experience. I hope that continues.

As for Res Evil 5 itself? I couldn't tell you. The machine won't read the disc. It reads the rest of my discs - so it's not the machine - it's the Res Evil 5 disc. A little shadow on an otherwise sunny out of box experience, but I'll live with it until Monday when I'll get a working copy from my FLGS.

Right now, I've got more than enough games to keep me busy! Game on!

What an annoying amount of effort. Glad it finally worked out for you.

Redrobes

First Post
I bought an Elite about year and half ago - god knows what type it is and its not quiet with the CD running but its pretty quiet - not silent - but not at all loud. So I am glad its not just me. If you install the game to the HDD then its sat there about as quiet as my PC. I have mine on a small UPS too in case of dodgy mains causing RROD - so far I have been spared.

Oh yeah, an Ebay is the pit of doooom - dont go there man.

Remove ads