Foundation Series (Apple+)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Changing the language doesn't change the fact of the matter - it does, however, tend to lead to worrying more about whether you can do a thing than if you should to that thing.
Guess we'll find out when we see it! I hope to get chance to watch the first episode tonight.

Changing the language doesn't change the fact of the matter - it does, however, tend to lead to worrying more about whether you can do a thing than if you should to that thing.
"Can you do it" is a more interesting question. You can certainly write a book about ideas rather than characters. You can do it in computer games too. Can you do it in TV or film? If not, why not?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Can you do it" is a more interesting question.

If you are a student of film and TV, it is interesting.

If you are a fan of Asimov's work, maybe not so much, as your attempt to answer the technical question may yield a monstrosity, like it did for Frankenstein.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Beautiful production values. Good to great writing and acting. But it is a thinker, so we'll see if the masses like it. I've read the books twice, and unlike many, I don't think things based on a book need to be like the book at all.....and often should not, frankly. The most obvious difference is that women get to actually do something......

Mallus

Legend
It's... interesting. The acting, effects and art design is what you'd expect given the moon-sized sphere full of money Apple threw into the production. Some of the choices made seem really smart (like the clone Emperors), other less so.

For example. The first episode had amazing scenes. But I didn't like the way they were ordered. It would be stronger to open with with Gaal leaving her homeworld and arriving on Trantor (I'd also pare the dialogue down to almost none). Don't begin by suggesting this is a Abrams-esque mystery box show.

The second episode has this spectacular public execution sequence which avoided feeling gratuitous. But in ends with a twist that certainly felt so (even though the reasoning behind it might not so bad).

Right now it feels as much Dune as Foundation (with more than a dash of GoT). I'm okay with that.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Were there robots in the books? I don't recall. Also, IIRC, the clones are a new idea, which is really, really, well written?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
First episode watched!

Wow. I loved it. It's slow and cerebral, and utterly gorgeous.

My wife, on the other hand, didn't like it and says it's "up its own arse".

I did read the books years ago but don't remember them, so I can't compare them to the show.

Space elevator falling! Wraps itself round the whole planet and kills hundreds of millions.

Remove ads