D&D General Foundry VTT

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've been playing on Roll20 for a few weeks, and I'm not in love. I mean, sure, I'm posting YouTube videos on how to use the tool....and I may keep using it. But, I was looking at Foundry (and Astral) today, and I'm intrigued. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has used it. How is it? Do you use Beyond20? Do you use homebrew mostly or assets you bought (hardcopy or online)?

thanks in advance!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I've been playing in a campaign that uses Foundry and it's pretty cool, just seems like there's a very big learning curve for the DM. I know the DM for my games has taken to learning JavaScript to add some modules and such. Because it would take me more time than I'm willing to spend learning how to use Foundry, I will not be transitioning from Roll20 to that platform. But I'm proficient enough as a player to join games that use it.

Oofta

Legend
I've only used Roll20 a few times, but it is handy. Especially with the link to DndBeyond with the beyond 20 extension. I used it last weekend and ran all my monsters from DndBeyond.

I'm sure there's a ton of features but it's doing what I need.

What makes Foundry better?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've only used Roll20 a few times, but it is handy. Especially with the link to DndBeyond with the beyond 20 extension. I used it last weekend and ran all my monsters from DndBeyond.

I'm sure there's a ton of features but it's doing what I need.

What makes Foundry better?

That's pretty much my plan at this point also. But I'm not in love with the interface and more than a few other things. And, I've had technical issues, with stuff disappearing from the tokens.

Oofta

Legend
That's pretty much my plan at this point also. But I'm not in love with the interface and more than a few other things. And, I've had technical issues, with stuff disappearing from the tokens.

Yeah, my biggest issues were with getting the icons set up correctly the first time, the dynamic lighting is cool but buggy.

That and for anything but simple maps I've been doing it in a different tool - resizing is far more painful than it should be though.

So I have issues with Roll20 ... but on the other hand 10 years ago it wouldn't really have been an option. So, progress, I guess.

Remove ads