Free League is Demiplane’s Latest Nexus

Following its recent Pathfinder 2E and World of Darkness announcements, new tabletop tools platform Demiplane has revealed that Free League’s array of games will be joining them. Demiplane’s Adam Bradford (co-founder of D&D Begind) about the new endeavor and shows a trailer. https://www.enworld.org/threads/pathfinder-nexus-is-the-official-toolset-for-pf2e.683549/ With D&D Beyond’s owner...

Following its recent Pathfinder 2E and World of Darkness announcements, new tabletop tools platform Demiplane has revealed that Free League’s array of games will be joining them.

78A063DA-FC0E-4D41-BC9D-6228422BD922.jpeg

Demiplane’s Adam Bradford (co-founder of D&D Begind) about the new endeavor and shows a trailer.

With D&D Beyond’s owner Fandom working hard on its acquisition Cortex Prime, along with various licensed properties for use with tabletop RPGs, such as Tales of Xadia, Demiplane looks to be setting itself up as a competitor by powering everything except D&D.

12E81524-4297-4CBE-B3C9-FE9E1D566902.jpeg

Retreater

Legend
No it isn’t. The practicality of it has not changed. The point I keep stating and you keep running right past is that the makeup of the industries physical products has remained largely unchanged.
I suppose I'm seeing a fundamental shift in how many people play TTRPGs, transitioning from in-person as the predominate game space to online. I think it's going to grow more prevalent in the coming years.
And this is the equivalent of playing at your FLGS, but they don't sell you the books. You pay full price to use them at their store, then rent the table space each game. Then if the store closes, you move away, they stop letting you play that game system, change their prices, etc, there is nothing you can do because you are renting the books.
I am talking only about subscription services, not buying physical books or PDFs. Subscription services are renting a car on Hertz. Buying a book or PDF is owning your car.

dirtypool

Explorer
I suppose I'm seeing a fundamental shift in how many people play TTRPGs, transitioning from in-person as the predominate game space to online.
I think it's going to grow more prevalent in the coming years.
It may, 5e was a rising tide that is still lifting boats. The total size of the player base has grown dramatically. The problem comes when you use that observation to argue that print books and accessories WILL (your word and emphasis) go away without actual evidence to back it up.

The problem compounds when you use one type of gameplay tool to argue against another to prove the point about print supplies. You’re using an apple to prove the existence of oranges to someone who was talking about key lime pie.

And this is the equivalent of playing at your FLGS, but they don't sell you the books. You pay full price to use them at their store, then rent the table space each game.
No it isn’t. Stop with the disingenuous analogies. Netflix doesn’t charge by the episode, playing Pathfinder does not take away your access to 5e content, and Roll20 will not recode its web based program to not work on compatible browsers.
I am talking only about subscription services, not buying physical books or PDFs. Subscription services are renting a car on Hertz. Buying a book or PDF is owning your car.
That is where you planted your goalpost ultimately, but you started by trying to dismantle my original post about physical books and PDFs still remaining available despite your doom and gloom view that tools like Demiplane are going to destroy the hobby.

The sands have shifted too much for me, I’m gonna go crack a book and fill out a character sheet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
FWIW, I find the idea that 4E is a "dead system" somewhat incredulous. It undoubtedly dropped drastically in popularity since 5e D&D; however, on Roll20's latest report 4E D&D is 0.17% of all games. That may sound like a small amount, but AD&D (1&2E) is 0.19% and there are bunch of games and systems below 4E that no one would reasonably consider "dead games."
The maths probably doesn't work at all, but if there are 50M global players of D&D and it is 50% of Roll20, if that were a representative sample of global players (which obviously it isn't) that would mean there are 190K global players of 4E. Which many current games would kill for.

Marc Radle

Legend
I suppose I'm seeing a fundamental shift in how many people play TTRPGs, transitioning from in-person as the predominate game space to online. I think it's going to grow more prevalent in the coming years.
And this is the equivalent of playing at your FLGS, but they don't sell you the books. You pay full price to use them at their store, then rent the table space each game. Then if the store closes, you move away, they stop letting you play that game system, change their prices, etc, there is nothing you can do because you are renting the books.

The reality is that print books dominate over e-books, PDFs, etc. by several orders of magnitude.

Online gaming in one form or another (due in large part to the pandemic) has certainly increased in popularity, but there is PLENTY of in person gaming going on.

I am pretty confidant that in person gaming WILL continue to increase once (if?) the pandemic is under control.

As others have said, while your personal experiences are absolutely valid, they are certainly not the norm.

Last edited:

dirtypool

Explorer
Completely agree that calling 4e a dead system is reductive. A lot was thrown at the wall to act as a proof that once the digital tools are gone the game is gone, I could have better countered the 4e statement by looking for those Roll20 numbers or referencing Matt Colville’s streaming 4e campaign. I just don’t think doing so would have made much headway against the belief that the game is fundamentally unplayable without DDI.

The game is absolutely playable without digital tools, and the Roll20 numbers are proof that any game can be played even online without dedicated VTT being created for it with an active license.

Retreater

Legend
Completely agree that calling 4e a dead system is reductive. A lot was thrown at the wall to act as a proof that once the digital tools are gone the game is gone, I could have better countered the 4e statement by looking for those Roll20 numbers or referencing Matt Colville’s streaming 4e campaign. I just don’t think doing so would have made much headway against the belief that the game is fundamentally unplayable without DDI.

The game is absolutely playable without digital tools, and the Roll20 numbers are proof that any game can be played even online without dedicated VTT being created for it with an active license.
Matt Colville, himself, says that you can no longer play 4e on Fantasy Grounds. He said in the video was lucky enough to download everything before the tools were taken down, so you can no longer have a setup like he has. He has said this in video.

dirtypool

Explorer
Matt Colville, himself, says that you can no longer play 4e on Fantasy Grounds. He said in the video was lucky enough to download everything before the tools were taken down, so you can no longer have a setup like he has. He has said this in video.
No actually; Matt Colville said you can’t easily play 4e on Fantasy Grounds without having to do some customization to make it work.

People play the game on Roll20, for which tools were never created in the first place.

There is no absolute “can’t” in this conversation.

You have an opinion, cool. You expressed it, but stop behaving as if your opinion is absolute full stop truth of reality.

Retreater

Legend
While, I appreciate the discourse we've been having, I think it's already taken too much focus from the big news of Free League and Demiplane partnering, and I'm sorry for that. I'm also sorry for being so negative in my posts. It's been a rough time for us here this week, and I'm sure that's coming through in my attitude - still no excuse for it though.
So I'm going to leave this thread with best wishes for Demiplane and their users - and hopes that whatever games you're playing, in-person or online, are a good time.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads