Free RPG Day 2022 – The Offerings

Free RPG Day (North America) is coming this Saturday, June 25, 2022! Friendly Local Game Stores (FLGS) across the United States and Canada are offering RPG products including quickstarts, one-shots, samples, miniatures, dice, and more. It’s a great time to get out to your FLGS to play an tabletop roleplaying game. Before you make the trek to your store, here’s a quick guide to the available RPG products. While there are miniatures, dice, cards, and pin offerings from Foam Brain Games, mantic, Dave Taylor Miniatures, Q Workshop, and WizKids, this article focuses on the tabletop roleplaying quickstarts and adventures.

NOTE: If you’re an RPG fan outside of North America, then save this information for Saturday, July 23, 2022 as that is Free RPG Day (International).

R Talsorian Games FreeRPGDay.jpg

The cover says it all: Cyberpunk Red: EASY MODE, “An Introduction To The Dark Future.” From R. TALSORIAN GAMES, this offering lets players sample the latest edition of THE cyberpunk tabletop roleplaying game. For a free offering, this is a lot of good. Core rules to enjoy a Friday Night Firefight plus your first job in Night City with five pre-gen characters. You’ll quickly jump into the game and have time to make use of the bonus battle map when the shooting starts. If you’re a fan of Cyberpunk 2020, 2077, or just the genre, this freebie gives you everything you’ll need to know if you want to upgrade to the Jumpstart Kit Boxed Set or the full rulebook.

9th Level Games FreeRPGDay.jpg

If you love indie games, 9TH LEVEL GAMES has exactly what you need: level 1: volume 3 | 2022 “The Free RPG Day Indie RPG Anthology.” This anthology of unique RPGs provide full rules ford short games. Equally as important, this RPG allows you to experience new concepts, mechanics, and creators like Gabrielle Rabinowitz, Steffie de Vaan, Monica Valentinelli, Jim Dagg, and many more. As the third volume in this free series, you’ll find unique gameplay worthy of any pick up game.

Darrington Press FreeRPGDay.jpg

DARRINGTON PRESS, Critical Role’s publishing wing, offers a new one page RPG, A Familiar Problem. Created by Marisha Ray (Critical Role) and designed by Grant Howitt (Honey Heist), you play as familiars left behind when their spellcasters went on an adventure without them. In an effort to not be overlooked again, you’ll go on an adventure without the wizards to prove your readiness to run with the pack. If you’re a Critical Role fan, or into unique RPGs, this one pager is a good item to pick up.

Magpie Games FreeRPGDay.jpg

MAGPIE GAMES offers a new ROOT RPG titled, Talon Hill Quickstart. This Powered by the Apocalypse RPG booklet contains basic rules, pre-gen characters, and a full setting, called a clearing, to adventure through. As vagabonds, you’ve arrived at Talon Hill where your actions will have consequences for the entire Woodland. This product is good if you want to try out the ROOT RPG or a Powered by the Apocalypse anthropomorphic fantasy.

Modiphius Entertainment FreeRPGDay.jpg

The pictures for MODIPHIUS ENTERTAINMENT’s Homeworld: Revelations 2d20 RPG make it a must have. First, the product is a starter rule set introducing the 2d20 system. The booklet is an adventure complete with character sheets. Second, the production design for this looks incredible. The multiple grades of blue on the character sheets and booklet give this project a distinct visual appeal. In addition, this is a worthwhile project because it brings one of Modiphius’ strengths – their amazing IP library – to Free RPG Day. If you’re a fan of Homeworld, the 2d20 system, or great layouts and designs, this book is worth checking out.

paizo-freerpgday-2022-1.jpg

PAIZO, a stalwart of Free RPG Day, presents two adventures, one for Pathfinder 2nd Edition and the other for Starfinder. Pathfinder: A Fistful of Flowers offers a 3rd level adventure for a group of leshy (sentient plants) heroes. The party leaves the forest to attend a fancy tea party where adventure will ensue. Starfinder: Skitter Warp comes with four pre-gens for a quick sci-fi adventure. For both of these, you’ll need the core rulebooks or an experience GM.

Renegade Game Folders Covers.jpg

RENEGADE GAME STUDIOS offers up four individual folders for school kids featuring covers, interior artwork, quick dice rules, and a QR code that takes the scanner to information on Power Rangers Roleplaying Game, GIJoe Roleplaying Game, Transformers Roleplaying Game, and Hunter: The Reckoning Fifth Edition. It’s exciting to see some freebies and previews of their Essence20 RPG system Dice Shift Ladder as well as how the HtR dice work. As a keepsake, these are cool offerings and something that fans of these RPGs will want to add to their collections.

Loke Battle Mats FreeRPGDay.jpg

LOKE BATTLE MATS gives fans a Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition adventure, maps, tokens, and more in Curse of the Dread Marsh Crew. Loke Battle Mats is known for their maps and gaming accessories so this promises to be a great sampling of what they do best. In addition, they’re going to the extra mile with an adventure, tokens for characters, enemies, and even terrain, plus a quick guide to 5e, some pre-gens, and enemy stat blocks. This is a great kit for getting the full 5e RPG experience.

Privateer Press FreeRPGDay.jpg

PRIVATEER PRESS brings a Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition adventure for their Iron Kingdoms setting entitled, A Strange Light Breaks. Designed to showoff Iron Kingdoms’ paranormal investigators, this adventure gives you five 1st level characters to face grymkin, undead, and more dangers. If you’re a fan of Iron Kingdoms, 5e, or paranormal encounters, this is worth checking out. For this adventure, you’ll need the core 5e ruleset.

goodman-games.jpg

GOODMAN GAMES provides two distinct gaming options, a Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition adventure and a Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC) offering. The Three-Wizard Conundrum gives 1st level 5e characters a challenge in which your party picks one of the wizards and works to retrieve a fabled ring from the place where magic almost died. Yet, there are aspects of this journey the employing wizard is not aware of, which means your party is going in without a complete picture of what to expect. For DCC fans, you get Danger in the Air, which provides a zero level adventure. Something huge and golden drifts in the air above the village, will you retrieve its treasure? For DCC or 5e fans, these adventures are likely to be memorable.

SFG FreeRPGDay.jpg

SFG comes with a Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition adventure, Epic Encounters: Chasm of the Duergar Cult. Another cooling sounding 5e adventure, this one is set in the underworld. Expect Duergar Cults attempting to summon a demonic force, something you should stop. This is likely to prove a great showcase for SFG’s Epic Encounters brand.

Oni Press FreeRPGDay.jpg

Need a mix of RPG comics and magazine for Free RPG Day? ONI PRESS brings a best of from their Rolled & Told vaults. Look for adventures, comics, and articles curated from issues zero to six of the series. If you need some magazine style RPG content this Saturday, check out Rolled & Told.

As mentioned at the start of the roundup, there are free RPG accessories such as miniatures, dice, cards, and more from Foam Brain Games, mantic, Dave Taylor Miniatures, Q Workshop, and WizKids. These offerings give gamers a little something extra to enjoy their games. In addition, many local creators come out to run games at their FLGS. It’s a chance to game with designers and see their wares.

To learn more, check out Free RPG Day’s Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates. To find out if you’re FLGS is participating in this promotion, search this link. Keep in mind that each FLGS Free RPG Day participation and policies vary and that these products are not free to the store, so please support your local store.
UPDATE: Dragons vs Biplanes from Homebrew and Hacking is free at DriveThruRPG for Free RPG Day (International). This is from the publishing company of PJ Coffey, co-host of Morrus' Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk.

Special thanks to Tyche's Games in Athens, Georgia. They helped with the previews and some of the photos for these products. I tour as many FLGS as I can and I can state that Tyche Games is one of the best tabletop RPG stores I’ve been in. Not to knock other stores, but Tyche is RPG heaven offering floor to ceiling shelves of RPGs. That compares favorably with other stores that have a few shelves or racks of RPGs. Tyche is an RPG store, packed with endless roleplaying games both new and old. If you’re in Athens, Georgia and looking for an RPG, Tyche Games is worth checking out.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Last edited:

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Birmy

Adventurer
I haven’t seen this before. Anyone see it before? I dint think it’s part of free rpg day proper.

This was released as a promo item to coincide with the release of the Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set for Magic: The Gathering last year; it reprints the first chapter of the Essentials Kit. Presumably this was meant to lure some non-RPG-playing Magic players to try D&D out--I grabbed one from a big stack at my LGS at the time.

Agametorememberbooks

Explorer
Publisher
A few pictures of the packed Level-Up Games in Duluth from Saturday; large groups of people were going in and out the entire time Hannah and I were in there showing our book to RPG groups.

Attachments

• 42A9D358-7948-4B57-887E-6C0AF12140C6.jpeg
    42A9D358-7948-4B57-887E-6C0AF12140C6.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 64
  • B99A94BD-54F1-4CE0-9F03-7329B0EFF5F3.jpeg
    B99A94BD-54F1-4CE0-9F03-7329B0EFF5F3.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 73
  • BFDEBDC1-E576-463C-9DF5-8F40EC18DDAD.jpeg
    BFDEBDC1-E576-463C-9DF5-8F40EC18DDAD.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 69
  • 9C988135-3B0D-4A26-A5B1-5E586DE773DF.jpeg
    9C988135-3B0D-4A26-A5B1-5E586DE773DF.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 68

Wow. Looks like Level Up really leveled up the space since last time we were there a couple years ago before the pandemic. Challenges doing FreeRPG day next Saturday… closer for us.
Level Up Games moved to a larger space and they are making the most of it!
You said "Challenges", do you mean Challenge Comics & Games in North Dekalb Mall or another location? (Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.)

Lazvon

Adventurer
On the map looked like the same place for Level Up, just painted and cleaned up from the couple of times we were there pre-pandemic. Nice!

Pretty sure it is Challenges (per Google search), but yes, North DeKalb mall. They’re using the outside entrance now. First time I have been in a store in a couple years.

On the map looked like the same place for Level Up, just painted and cleaned up from the couple of times we were there pre-pandemic. Nice!

Pretty sure it is Challenges (per Google search), but yes, North DeKalb mall. They’re using the outside entrance now. First time I have been in a store in a couple years.
You are right, my mistake. ;-)

That's awesome! Always glad for more gamers in Georgia! I hope it's a great day of gaming! :)

Agametorememberbooks

Explorer
Publisher
Wow. Looks like Level Up really leveled up the space since last time we were there a couple years ago before the pandemic. Challenges doing FreeRPG day next Saturday… closer for us.
They moved catty-corner within the same shopping complex and ended up right next door to Wasteland…which didn’t bode well for Wasteland. On a map, they’d appear to be in the same spot, but now they’re in a massive corner space with tons of natural light and plenty of space. They’re always moving stock around and arranging the store for optimal spacing.

darjr

I crit!
Here are two of my tables. Missing one person from the first table.

I ran two games of the Darrington Press game. Loved the random adventure generation and the ad-lib I had to do.
Ran DCC adventure for the second and many zero level characters died that day.
Finally at the end of the day I ran chapter two of Rolled and Told, the airship battle. Two new players that only ever played at home joined us. They said the adventure we had would now be cannon in their home game and that won them my copy of the book, may they have many great adventures.
A73C74DD-A95D-4B07-BE56-25E632F8AAE8.jpeg
B1939A73-B34B-4D52-B8F9-C1590D9F77FB.jpeg

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases