Freedom League Unlimited

hero4hire

Explorer
The Lighthouse: 22,300 miles above Earth.

lighthouse.jpg

[sblock=Lighthouse]The Lighthouse is the Freedom League’s main headquarters, a self-contained satellite in high Earth orbit, accessible by either spaceplane or dedicated “teleportals” on Earth. This provides the Lighthouse with considerable security in addition to making it Earth’s first line of defense against any danger from outer space.
The Lighthouse was designed by Daedalus, based on designs the Star Knights use for their deep space and orbital facilities, and supplemented with alien technologies Daedalus studied during his years in space. The Freedom League funded and built it using their resources (including the personal fortunes of Daedalus, Raven, and Bowman). The League applied for and received permission from the United Nations and UNISON to operate the Lighthouse in Earth orbit, although the approval of the world’s nations was by no means unanimous.
The cylindrical satellite has several decks, including a hangar deck for the Pegasus spaceplanes, an observation deck (with a spectacular view of Earth), dormitories for League members staying on board, a mess hall, gymnasium, laboratories, and an infirmary. The main control center includes monitoring facilities keeping watch over the Earth.
The Lighthouse has a fusion power core supplemented by solar collectors on its exterior surface. Its systems are maintained by a sophisticated computer mainframe, containing the Freedom League’s extensive case files. The command deck has a teleportal, able to instantly transport passengers to any other portal on Earth. The League has teleportals in the world capitols and major cities. The Freedom City teleportal is located in Freedom Hall, which is used as the League’s local “embassy” and outpost in the city. [/sblock]

You may be sparring in the Satellite’s “Wreck Room” or enjoying lunch in the mess hall, or even enjoying the spectacular view on the observation deck. But no matter your location each of you receives a telepathic summons from Core League Member Pseudo.
There is an emergency in Freedom City. Please report to the Command Deck ASAP.

OOC: Okay here is your chance to intro your character as they make their way to the Command Deck. What exactly does s/he do while at the Lighthouse? How do they feel about the jarring telepathic summons? Do they stay at the Lighthouse dorms or just visit?

Jemal

Adventurer
John opened his eyes and stood quickly, dressing. He was no stranger to telepathic communication, nor to sudden interuptions of downtime, and was ready to go within moments. Exiting the dorm where he'd been catching a nap after his workout, he was instantly alert and awake, not stretching or yawning as most would do after such a short rest. He was by no means fully rested, but as a soldier one got used to it.

Despite his lack of 'super-movement' powers or speed, John - or Psyker, as was his code-name, was among the first to arrive at the Command deck. He recognized a few of the others from passing conversations, but hadn't yet had time to form any special bonds with them. Standing at ease once he arrived, John nodded to the other Freedom League members present to ensure his presence was registered, but avoided asking why they were here. They'd be told when it was time.

[sblock=ooc]
I think I'm gonna start off by going for the proffessional military appearance, and let him chill out a bit more as he gets to know his team-mates.[/sblock]

Bialaska

First Post
Bored, bored, bored... Just the right word to describe Wendy aboard the Lighthouse. The Supreme Girl was not exactly the sharpest katana in the batch and her time in the Lighthouse had been rather uneventful, at least compared to her normal everyday-life. Sure selling car accessories may be boring, especially when you don't know much about them, but at least you get to spend time with other people and experience new things.

Wendy could be found in the gymnasium doing aerobics, though she did not do it as much for the training, but instead because of the shirtless cute actor-slash-model who was in the instructional video. Yes, perhaps Wendy could achieve more if she really put an effort into it, but she just hadn't really felt the need to lift more than she already could, because when you can lift jumbo jets without putting any effort into it, there is little need to do much more training, right?

But upon receiving the summon, Wendy turned off the video and then the air-head hurried to the command deck.

DM_Matt

First Post
John opened his eyes and stood quickly, dressing. He was no stranger to telepathic communication, nor to sudden interuptions of downtime, and was ready to go within moments. Exiting the dorm where he'd been catching a nap after his workout, he was instantly alert and awake, not stretching or yawning as most would do after such a short rest. He was by no means fully rested, but as a soldier one got used to it.

Despite his lack of 'super-movement' powers or speed, John - or Psyker, as was his code-name, was among the first to arrive at the Command deck. He recognized a few of the others from passing conversations, but hadn't yet had time to form any special bonds with them. Standing at ease once he arrived, John nodded to the other Freedom League members present to ensure his presence was registered, but avoided asking why they were here. They'd be told when it was time.

[sblock=ooc]
I think I'm gonna start off by going for the proffessional military appearance, and let him chill out a bit more as he gets to know his team-mates.[/sblock]

Max sits in a hoverchair on the observation deck, watching the world turn and talking business in his normal identity "Look, I don't care if Grant offers twice that, I wouldn't license that crook my recipe for egg salad, let alone our experimental regeneration technology...yes, I know my egg salad sucks, thats the point....No Bob, I DON'T care that Johnson & Sons has a smaller and slightly less efficient production capacity...How much will it cost us when our factory gets blown up by a superhero, huh Bob? Or bad publicity when we find supervillains using our tech?...Ok, good. Now make the deal -- but up our cut by another 5% or so...make 'em think we COULD go with Grant. I'm getting another call, Bob, I've gotta go."

Max is used to telepathic contact. He interfaces with his suit telepathically, so the Grue's ability is not especially jarring. In fact, in developing the technology, MaxCorp incorporated insights from research into Grue biology.

Max doesn't spend that much time up here compared to other heroes, but it has its advantages. The view and facilities are excellent, though not as luxurious as his own home. Still, its a space station full of superheroes and there is something inherently cool about that.

Max suits up and heads to the command deck.

"So what's the trouble?"

Elric

First Post
Dragon Fist

David worked the light, round punching bag anchored to the floor and ceiling. It was a nice gym, and he certainly needed the practice. The girl over there—Superior Girl, Superb Girl, Super Girl—something like that—could lift a jumbo jet effortlessly, from what he’d heard. And you’re out of practice he told himself. You’re not going to be of much use fighting the Crime League if you can’t land a punch on a moving target, while a teammate of yours can’t be hurt by tank shells and could probably pick up a tank and throw it 100 feet to boot.

He hadn’t talked to Leon recently. He wondered how he was doing a few weeks into joining The Protectors. Darkhorse and Dragon Fist. It had a nice ring to it—he missed working with Leon. They’d have to see how their new superhero duties worked out.

David received the mental summons. It was a bit unusual, but that didn’t trouble him.

As he left the gym, David saw that girl—Supreme Girl, that’s right—leaving as well. He goes up to her. “Supreme Girl, right? David Reed, a.k.a. Dragon Fist. Being based out of New York, I’ve heard a lot about you.”

Last edited:

Bialaska

First Post
"Huh?" the girl in question exclaims in confusion as David talks to her, turning her head to face him.

"Oh, yeah, that's my other identity, Supreme Girl, the girl with supreme powers and stuff," the young airhead then finally confirms with a nod of her head. "But I'm also known as Wendy to my friends. And uhm, you're..." She considers for a few seconds, trying to remember him. "You're that guy, yeah? The one who, uhm, did that cool stuff, right?" It is rather obvious that the rather attractive young girl has absolutely no idea who David is.

Then she suddenly seems to remember that she was on the way to a meeting and walks in the direction of the command deck, though at a pace that allows David to follow and continue their conversation.

Elric

First Post
I hope she's a little more with it when the going gets tough

"I was part of Darkhorse and Dragon Fist, Heroes for Hire, office on Park Avenue. I guess we never had exploits as suited for making the front pages of daily newspapers as you did. We didn't really make it 'big time' until just recently. A girl who can lift 747s tends to get more news coverage than old-fashioned martial arts."

Bialaska

First Post
"Oh! Yeah, now I remember you. I think I heard about you in the news at some point or something like that." SG exclaims with a smile.

"And I'm not really that much of a famous hero or anything. Sure I've helped a bit when I could, but I mean, compared to the Freedom League? They're like glo... uhm... you know, covering the world! And I only covered New York, or well, mostly it was only a few of the neighborhoods. But I think it's so awesome that we are here now, don't you think?!? Us, in the Freedom League, it's like a dream coming true or something."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
John Stone leaned against the window, forehead against the cool surface, watching the Earth below slowly slide out of view as the Lighthouse rotated along its axis.

What the hell am I doing up here? he asked himself. I should be down there. Get a hair cut and a shave. Go back to the job. Assuming I haven't burned all the bridges back into the Bureau.

When the Earth was no longer visible through the window, Stone turned away, leaned back, ankles crossed, and untucked the book from beneath his arm. He ran a finger across the ponderous title: The Posse Comitatus Act and the Super-Hero: The Legal Ramifications of Formal Cooperation.

Stone sighed. Why can't case law and legal theory be more interesting to read? No wonder so many lawyers are pedantic jack-asses.

Then, the telepathic summons raced through Stone's brain.

"Sheesh," he whispered. "That's gonna get old."

A few minutes later, Stone walked out of the elevator onto the Command Deck. Several of the other new recruits were already present: that ditz Supreme Girl, Dragon Fist, Psyker, and the corporate bigshot. Stone sighed again and put on his best game face.

"What's up?"

G

Guest 11456

Pink Lightning

As she gets the telepathic summons, Paula has just begun her daily 5000 mile jog in the gym. Estimating that it will take the others a while to assemble she decides to finish her jog. As a result she is the last of the team to arrive causing a few raised eyebrows from those on the Command Deck.

Remove ads