• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Front Page Really slow to load

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Iwas wondering if anyone else is noticing that ENWorld is really slow to load at first. I'm using IE 7 (I believe). No other websites I visitare slow, but when I want to come and visit ENWorld I can go make a pot of coffee before the page loads. [Not kidding] Just wondering if I'm the only one or not. If Iam the only one, an ideas why?

I should also say that once it does load it navigates fairly well. Perhaps a little slow, but nothing like the first page.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

NLF

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I have IE 7 and what you're describing has happened to me. Usually what happens is that the site takes a while to load at first but then it moves along fairly well after that.

However, if I step away from my PC for some reason and then come back to it, then I have a heck of a time getting it to load again.

It is almost like it gets stuck. I usually have to close my browser, reload it and then visit other sites for 15 to 20 minutes before I can get EN World to load again. I'm not sure what to make of it since it almost always comes back.

And note that this isn't always during the "heavy traffic" times of day. Well, not unless you consider 10pm to 1am MST to be a "heavy traffic" time period. ;)

It's frustrating.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
MySQL is getting overloaded and resetting itself on 4-6 hour intervals. Looking for a solution.
That would explain a lot. Let us know how this situation develops.

FYI...
For me, it's 3 a.m., and I'm definitely getting some lag. It is loading, and I can post but it takes a while, especially when posting on the blogs.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Darn. I just got on and it took no time to load. I came right here to tell about my victory and then the log-in page took forever. But, at least it was a different page to load slowly. :eek:

Sorry I couldn't give you all the good news and compliments I had hoped to give.

Merkuri

Explorer
I've gotten into the habit of having a sudoku window open in another tab. I click a page on EN World, wait a moment, and if it doesn't load immediately I switch to sudoku and wait. I'm not sure why my browser is willing to wait that long, but sometimes I think it can take 5 minutes or more for pages to load.

Michael Morris

First Post
Things seem better. I upped the max connections from 100 to 1000 and the keepalive timeout from 2 seconds to 4. I had lowered them because I thought they where bogging the machine down.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Things seem better. I upped the max connections from 100 to 1000 and the keepalive timeout from 2 seconds to 4. I had lowered them because I thought they where bogging the machine down.
It seems to be working a little bit better. I lost one post to the lag and had to reload my browser once while trying to switch between pages in one thread, but it seems to be running better, so far.

I'm going to punish the blogs a bit next and then check out the front page of the site. I haven't checked it in a while because of the lag.

Cheers!

KF72

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads