• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frontline Rogue?

Destil

Explorer
I'd encourage the Artifactor to either get you some pre-combat buffs or suck up the Arcane Spell Failure (only affects any arcane scrolls he makes), strap on a breastplate and wade into the front. It's a very flexible class.

mcgeedis

First Post
Imre said:
If you take that route, the TWF feat (in PHB2) which lets you attack once with each weapon as a standard action is clutch, since your later attacks probably won't be hitting much anyway. There are also feats which combine all of these which aren't bad: Tumbling Feint, etc. And of course any melee rogue needs Elusive Target (CW).

Can anyone elaborate upon the feats bolded in the quote above? I don't think I'm familiar with the TWF feat that he is referencing.

DarkJester

First Post
I hate to sound like another one of the chorus but I'll also mention Warshaper as incredibly good for a changeling melee character, it is almost to good, even with just a one or two level dip (though preferably 4). You mentioned it in your first post, and I really think this is the best option. Growing natural weapons, +4 str and con and reach will make you put out a lot more sneak attack dice will having more hp and reach to migrate some damage.

A rogue will not really be able to fill the role of a meat shield, but you WILL be taking more hits without one present. I suggest you try to invest heavily in some constitution enhancing items asap, or make sure the rest of the party is forthcoming with the bear's endurances.

Another expensive alternative to increasing your survivability is to invest in a ring or wand of blink or a cloak or wand of displacement. Both are better than trying to increase your AC as a rogue, since in most cases the AC lag to attack bonus is just to great.

Last edited:

RigaMortus2

First Post
Nifft said:
I'd like to quote this for truth with extreme prejudice.

If you're allowed to rebuild, my suggestions is to drop the Fighter levels; pick up Barbarian instead. More hit points, +10 ft. speed is awesome for a flanker who tumbles a lot, and Rage can save your life if used judiciously.

Barb 2 / Rogue 3 / Warshaper 4 / Rogue +10 would be ideal IMHO.

Cheers, -- N

Don't you need some sort of shape changing spell or ability in order to qualify for Warshaper? How does a Barb 2/Rogue 3 qualify?

javcs

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Don't you need some sort of shape changing spell or ability in order to qualify for Warshaper? How does a Barb 2/Rogue 3 qualify?
It's a changeling, thus, he qualifies due to his racial abilities.

Darklone

mcgeedis said:
Can anyone elaborate upon the feats bolded in the quote above? I don't think I'm familiar with the TWF feat that he is referencing.
I think he means Two Weapon Pounce: One attack with each weapon on a charge.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The main thing you need to be able to do is avoid getting hit. After a certain point AC isn't nearly as useful as concealment, so the ideal thing would be to get some concealment for combat. The best bets are Minor Cloak of Displacement, or even better Ring of Blinking. The latter, for 27,000gp, is fantastic for a front line fighting rogue. 50% of attacks (and spells!) aimed at you will miss because of the blinking, you always get your sneak attack against sneak attackable foes (unless they can see invisible), it doesn't wear off like invisibility and it is brilliant for scouting through doors.

If you can't get hold of that for some reason, plan to get hold of it asap(!) and in the meantime, you could consider the rather flavourful feat Cloak Dance from the PsiHB

CLOAK DANCE [GENERAL]
You are skilled at using optical tricks to make yourself seem to be where you are not.

Prerequisites: Hide 10 ranks, Perform (dance) 2 ranks.

Benefit: You can take a move action to obscure your exact position. Until your next turn, you have concealment. Alternatively, you can take a full-round action to entirely obscure your exact position. Until your next action, you have total concealment.

It doesn't play well with your desired full attacks, but can give you very useful concealment (miss chance) at any time you want to take a single attack, or otherwise have a move action free.

Cheers

Krafen

First Post
The problem with a ring of blinking is it gives you a 20% miss chance as well. Ghost touch weapons should address this problem, however.

Technik4

First Post
I would advise the wizard/cleric to start focusing on summoning spells. Nothing you do will replace a fighter/juggernaut, and it doesn't sound like your group is necessarily appreciating what you're willing to do to succeed. I think your party needs to sit down and figure out some new combat configurations, and possibly your DM needs to ease off a bit until you guys find a new rhythm.

shilsen

Adventurer
Krafen said:
The problem with a ring of blinking is it gives you a 20% miss chance as well. Ghost touch weapons should address this problem, however.
Nope. Ghost touch works vs. incorporeal creatures. When Blinking, you're going ethereal. They're quite different.

Remove ads