Fury over Black Hermione Granger

Status
Not open for further replies.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
This is a prime example. Nick Fury played by Sam Jackson irritates me. I still see the Avengers, though, because his role is small and I like the rest of the movies, but I would not see a Nick Fury movie with Sam Jackson cast as Fury. I think the movie would do well, though. If Nick Fury had originally been black, I would be similarly irritated if he was played by a white guy.

The thing is, the Nick Fury of the MCU is not at all the Nick Fury of the original comics (though he clearly is the Nick Fury of the Ultimates).

Ryujin

Legend
The thing is, the Nick Fury of the MCU is not at all the Nick Fury of the original comics (though he clearly is the Nick Fury of the Ultimates).

True. If he was the old Nick Fury then he'd have been leading The Howling Commandos in "Captain America: The First Avenger", instead of Captain America. I think that they also missed a bet with Gabe in that movie, likely for fear of comments about racism, since he was supposed to have been a jazz musician turned company bugler. The way that they portrayed him in the old comics was almost like a Scottish Regimental Piper; one of the first over the sandbags, bugle to lips.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Yes. Many heroes have evolved over the years. To my knowledge, though, none have changed skin color without being a completely different person who has the same name.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You could always point to Jesus on that one.

Saint Nicholas underwent a similar radical revision over time.

Also, Harvey Dent/Two-Face in the Batman movies.

Ditto Catwoman in the original Batman TV show.

Last edited:

There was nothing good to be brought to that playing in the shallow pool role, as written.

There is always something a good actor suited to the role can bring. I have seen ton of bad
y written shows or movies where the actor still managed to impress. The writing is one half of the equation but the acting is the other and a clooney just didn't work as batman (it could have been the first film in the franchise and he would have been just as awful as that character.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ditto Catwoman in the original Batman TV show.

excellent example there. Eartha Kitt did an awesome job as Catwoman and the change between her and Julie Newmar wasn't at all jarring

True. If he was the old Nick Fury then he'd have been leading The Howling Commandos in "Captain America: The First Avenger", instead of Captain America.

the latest retcon actually has the Samuel L Jackson version being the son of the original under the name Nick Fury Jr.

Unless I'm missing something, Jesus was born, lived, died, came back, and ascended to heaven all as a middle eastern Jewish man.

or was he a blue eyed, blondhaired catholic baby?

Ryujin

Legend
the latest retcon actually has the Samuel L Jackson version being the son of the original under the name Nick Fury Jr.

I supposed they'd have to do something, since it would stretch credulity to have a 100-something year old Nick Fury look the way that Jackson does. I'd have gone with Fury receiving a watered-down version of the Super Soldier Serum, which extends his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads