• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fury over Black Hermione Granger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I only ask because apparently whitey is the devil in everyones eyes.

You have adequately illustrated one of the common barriers to equality. You equated people asking for equal treatment with accusations of devilry. Asking for equal treatment is not an attack.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've changed the thread tag to politics so that folks know to avoid it if they want to keep clear of such subjects.

MechaPilot

Explorer
If the white man suddenly vanished from the world, would all of the current minorities problems be solved? I only ask because apparently whitey is the devil in everyones eyes.

No, but all of the racism that whites levy against minorities would be gone. Each race has its own prejudices: look at the Japanese and the Ainu. Those prejudices would still be present. White racism is just a big deal in the US because whites are the majority, and because whites are often in charge of things like hiring, academic admissions, and make up the bulk of representation in national politics.

Valador

First Post
You have adequately illustrated one of the common barriers to equality. You equated people asking for equal treatment with accusations of devilry. Asking for equal treatment is not an attack. That some folks think it is is a major problem on the road to an equitable world.

I am 110% all for EVERYONE having perfect equality regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation. What I am not for are people blaming me, even if it's indirectly, because of the color of my skin, for offenses I took no part in. If you want me to treat you fairly and with respect, DO NOT insult me by blaming me for things I had no part in.

All I'm saying is that society has made it acceptable to be racist against white people yet condemns it if it's the other way around. All racism, from both sides, should be handled the same. How about that as a first step towards equality.

Also the media only promotes more racism. If a black cop shoots a white kid it's never labeled the same as if a white cop shoots a black kid. The media always makes it a point to emphasize the fact that the white person killed the black person and that their skin color is important some how. However if a black guy kills a white guy it's simply "a guy killed a guy."

Valador

First Post
Do you honestly believe that?

Or are you just trying to rile folks up because this is the Internet?

I ask because I've met and know a lot of people of color who have been raised to, and firmly believe that white people are the root of all their problems as a whole. It's literally instilled into them from childhood. So I know some people think it's true.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I am 110% all for EVERYONE having perfect equality regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation. What I am not for are people blaming me, even if it's indirectly, because of the color of my skin, for offenses I took no part in. If you want me to treat you fairly and with respect, DO NOT insult me by blaming me for things I had no part in.

I am all for equality as well. However, I feel its important to point out that I have never felt blamed for slavery. The United States as a country is to blame for the history of slavery in the U.S. The country probably should make some manner of reparations for that, even if it comes in the form of things like interest free housing or education loans.

All racism, from both sides, should be handled the same. How about that as a first step towards equality.

Sure, but let's start with the stuff that is resulting in actual death and the ruining of lives first. Let's start by repealing mandatory minimums, by creating a single punishment for using all illegal drugs instead of harsher punishment for crack and lighter punishment for coke because of the urban/white-businessman divide (I would prefer simple legalization or decriminalization, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon).

Also the media only promotes more racism. If a black cop shoots a white kid it's never labeled the same as if a white cop shoots a black kid. The media always makes it a point to emphasize the fact that the white person killed the black person and that their skin color is important some how. However if a black guy kills a white guy it's simply "a guy killed a guy."

I agree with you that the media promotes more racism, but I have only ever see it work in the reverse of what you described:

1) A white guy shoots up a school or a planned parenthood and he's a disturbed individual and not a terrorist.
2) A kid brings a homemade clock to school for his engineering club and he's immediately a terrorist because of his skin color and his name.
3) An unarmed black kid is shot by a vigilante-wanna-be who was told by the police not to follow the kid and gets off scott free when he shoots the unarmed kid.
4) A cop shoots a black guy and the black guy died "while resisting arrest."
5) A black guy shoots anyone and it's automatically "gang activity is suspected" while it's an "accidental discharge" when a white guy shoots someone.

Now that's not to say there aren't people who exacerbate these issues: for example, maybe there was a time when he was helpful, but Jessie Jackson only seems to make things worse when he shows up. But, real activists often get conflated with those people so they can be dismissed by the media.

I'm curious, who has blamed you? Do you have any examples of this happening to you?

All I'm saying is that society has made it acceptable to be racist against white people yet condemns it if it's the other way around. All racism, from both sides, should be handled the same. How about that as a first step towards equality.
So the first step to equality is to treat the group that suffers the least?

Sometimes there are significant differences in the circumstances which lead to a cop shooting a person. There seems to be a pattern when it comes to police shootings of black individuals. There are times where prejudice and discrimination against certain groups is part of the culture in certain police departments. You can deny it all you'd like, but it's the truth. Now, I'm not saying all police departments are full of rampant racism, nor am I saying that all White police officers are racist... but some are. Pointing it out is not an attack on White people, or on you for being White. If you were really interested in everyone being treated equally, you'd probably want Black individuals to be treated the same as White individuals. As some others have pointed out, that isn't what happens. When in an open carry state a black male in a Walmart gets shot holding a toy gun, you should wonder why he was seen as a threat. Or maybe you would want to know why minorities are more likely to get longer jail sentences than their White counterparts for the same exact crimes.
But lets talk about how the media promotes racism, as you say.
Shooters of color are called terrorists and thugs. White shooters are called mentally ill

The media smears Black victims of shootings

The media treats White shooters better than Black victims

I think you have a point, just not the one you thought you were making. The media does promote racism, just not the way you believe it's happening.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No, but all of the racism that whites levy against minorities would be gone. Each race has its own prejudices: look at the Japanese and the Ainu. Those prejudices would still be present. White racism is just a big deal in the US because whites are the majority, and because whites are often in charge of things like hiring, academic admissions, and make up the bulk of representation in national politics.

Too true, unfortunately. Hell's bells- some racism is infraracial: a lot of my family is fairly light skinned, and some of my cousins caught hell for dating significantly darker-skinned guys.

Or, to put it differently: "This just in- people suck!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads