G1 Tactics

shilsen

Adventurer
Odysseus said:
Awesome blow sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.
Something else which I see nobody has suggested yet - Combat Reflexes. It seems a bit of a waste for giants, considering most have low Dex and anyway are unlikely to get a bunch of AoO opportunities per round, but the feat has a sometimes overlooked benefit which synergizes very well with giants - it allows one to take AoOs while flatfooted. So even if the PCs surprise some giants or beat others on initiative, if they have Combat Reflexes they'll be able to take AoOs while the PCs move through their threatened spaces.

diaglo

Adventurer
exotic weapon ( weighted net)

nothing hurts like being immobilized. make it a net so heavy your avg str 10 pc can't move. :p

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I ran G1 recently for a party of 10th-11th level PCs plus a small army of cohorts. The huge party room generated enough of a fight that it took us over 1 month to actually play it out (we play for about 3 hours a week on Thursday nights).

Keep in mind that the fort is a big loop, so if the PCs aren't very careful, it's not hard to get attacks going on them from multiple directions. The giants, particularly the cloud giant at the party, are smart enough to use that to their advantage.

frankthedm

First Post
Improved Overrun was nerfed in the 3.5 errata, now the overrun can't be used to get past one foe to charge another in the same round. Switch the feat to something the giant can make use of.

Depending on how strong your PCs are, the Numbers called for in the classic module will giga-splat them. This post may help keep the amount of foes the same, but withought being a slaughterfest.

Garnfellow said:
Daniel R. Collins had a similiar notion a few years ago and built regressed versions of the true giants, moving them back to their 1st edition HD. I updated his work to 3.5 and posted it on my website:

I'm using these stripped down versions in my homebrew conversion of G1, G2, and G3 and so far I've been pretty happy with the results.

Remove ads