D&D General G4's New D&D Show Is Called 'Invitation to Party'

The D&D show that US digital network G4 announced earlier this year has a title -- Invitation to Party.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 2.43.32 PM.png

The show launches this month, and will be an actual play show with B. Dave Walters as the Dungeon Master, who will be running the game for Kassem Gharaibeh, Fiona Nova, Indiana Black, and Ify Nwadiwe. It launches on streaming services Friday, 19th November at 6pm ET (11pm GMT) and then re-broadcast on G4TV on the Monday.

invtoparty.jpg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I really wish other games than D&D got such hype and production value. I'd kill for a well done Shadowrun game.

Makes me think of MMOs. "Lets make a new MMO!" "How about a fantasy one, there aren't already several that 1-2 of already dominate the genre, right?" "Good idea!"
All other games combined are less popular than D&D 5E. D&D has a greater than 50% market share.

Let's remember those shows are relatively low-budget but very useful to promote the brand, and the players who are profesional actors in the real life can be known by the audence.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Big pass for me. I absolutely can't stand B. Dave Walters. Getting through LA by Night with him as a player was hard. Nothing against him, but there's something about the way he speaks, his faces, his energy. Must remind me of someone.
Funny, I found LA by Night similarly hard to watch, but because of Jason Carl. I thought B. Dave Walters was pretty good on it.

I wonder about any game-live show with virtual tabletop and avatars, where you don't watch the players but the avatars of the characters in a virtual tabletop, giving a look like a machinima video.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I think actors who never played dnd before find playing dnd like an improv class to improve their ability to get into and create a character…if they find out they actually enjoy the game, all the better!

Staffan

Legend
Big pass for me. I absolutely can't stand B. Dave Walters. Getting through LA by Night with him as a player was hard. Nothing against him, but there's something about the way he speaks, his faces, his energy. Must remind me of someone.
Huh. I liked his work on the show, and I had a much harder time with Xander Jeanneret and Josephine McAdam (though I can't really tell if it was because they had annoying characters or that they played them in annoying ways).

Norton

Explorer
Not sure on which side of this ItaP applies, but I have a new rule: only watch actual-play tabletop if the players are in the same room. I can no longer abide remote play with its fractions of delay, monitor staring and disparate production values. It slaughters the energy for me and inevitably the DM is forcing good vibes rather than letting a genuine mood sink in to keep spirits up. Critical Role benefits greatly from a number of things, but playing in the same room—even socially distanced—makes all the difference in the world to me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder about any game-live show with virtual tabletop and avatars, where you don't watch the players but the avatars of the characters in a virtual tabletop, giving a look like a machinima video.

The technology does not exist to do real time animation of avatars to match what the players are saying (and in some cases doing - gestures matter too). Staring at static avatars while unseen people talk does not sound like a good show.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases