• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E GAMA Trade Show and Game Developer Conference start Monday - announcement Tomorrow?

darjr

I crit!
I think we're working from different definitions of "vibe". Here is the dictionary definition, "a person's emotional state or the atmosphere of a place as communicated to and felt by others." It's not a solo-act thing. You have to experience it, to pick up on it. Tone isn't the same as vibe, as tone is a much more generalized word connoting, "the general character or attitude of a place, piece of writing, situation, etc.". You can pick up on general attitudes without touching on vibe. Vibe is the the different subtle "tunes".
Rules are communication with others, I agree with Abbasax on this narrow topic, you can get a vibe from just reading the rules.

edit: ah didn't see his response.

Hussar

Legend
Tell me which 1e/2e modules could not be converted to 3e, or which 3e modules could not be converted to 1e/2e?[

Could not be converted is too strong. But I always found that conversions only barely resembled the originals.

3e mechanically is just so different. In an AdnD module you might have twenty orcs in an encounter which just doesn't work in 3e. I found that most modules you had to cut encounters to about 1/4 size because of the differences in balancing.

Plus the higher level stuff just didn't work at all. Try converting Land Beyond The Magic Mirror or Isle of the Ape and it really doesn't work. Plays completely differently

Heck even something like Tomb of Horrors becomes a cakewalk because the capabilities of a high level 3e party is just so different.

Stormonu

Legend
Could not be converted is too strong. But I always found that conversions only barely resembled the originals.

3e mechanically is just so different. In an AdnD module you might have twenty orcs in an encounter which just doesn't work in 3e. I found that most modules you had to cut encounters to about 1/4 size because of the differences in balancing.

Plus the higher level stuff just didn't work at all. Try converting Land Beyond The Magic Mirror or Isle of the Ape and it really doesn't work. Plays completely differently

Heck even something like Tomb of Horrors becomes a cakewalk because the capabilities of a high level 3e party is just so different.

Ugh, having run some 1E modules I converted to 3E (Lost Shrine of Tamoachan, Ravenloft, Lendore Isle series), I agree. A 1-to-1 conversion between AD&D and 3E doesn't work; you end up with something very different. Of course, 4E is even more pronounced (having attempted a conversion of RQ01 - Night of the Walking Dead). I haven't tried a 3E or 4E back to 1E/2E, but I imagine that it wouldn't come across without some major revisions that seriously changed the tone of the adventure.

Hussar

Legend
I've never tried 1e to 4e conversions. I would have thought it easier simply because of the numbers. 20 orcs would be 16 minions and 4 regular orcs. That sort of thing.

Iosue

Legend
I've never tried 1e to 4e conversions. I would have thought it easier simply because of the numbers. 20 orcs would be 16 minions and 4 regular orcs. That sort of thing.
IMO, the biggest issue with 1e to 4e conversion is not the monster numbers, but the design of the rooms. For example, in B2 there is a room with 13 goblins. However, the room is roughly 20' x 50', without much in the way of features. Throw in a party of 4 or 5 PCs, and that's pretty cramped. It's fine for a pitched battle AD&D style, where generally you're going to form battle lines and resolve combat quickly through attrition over a few rounds. For 4e's granular, movement-based combat, I think things get pretty staid pretty fast.

Remove ads