D&D 5E GAMA Trade Show and Game Developer Conference start Monday - announcement Tomorrow?

fjw70

Adventurer
One thing I typically do when converting 1e modules to 4e is double the sive of the rooms. It has worked well for me. I am also not completely tied to the number of monsters presented in the module.

I've never tried 1e to 4e conversions. I would have thought it easier simply because of the numbers. 20 orcs would be 16 minions and 4 regular orcs. That sort of thing.

I converted Return to The Keep on the Borderlands (2E) to 4E for a campaign I ran a few years ago. I did mostly all custom monster stats in the MB and it worked fairly well.

Hussar

Legend
IMO, the biggest issue with 1e to 4e conversion is not the monster numbers, but the design of the rooms. For example, in B2 there is a room with 13 goblins. However, the room is roughly 20' x 50', without much in the way of features. Throw in a party of 4 or 5 PCs, and that's pretty cramped. It's fine for a pitched battle AD&D style, where generally you're going to form battle lines and resolve combat quickly through attrition over a few rounds. For 4e's granular, movement-based combat, I think things get pretty staid pretty fast.

Yeah, I could see that. The whole "interesting room features" wasn't much of a thing in a lot of those old modules.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
IMO, the biggest issue with 1e to 4e conversion is not the monster numbers, but the design of the rooms. For example, in B2 there is a room with 13 goblins. However, the room is roughly 20' x 50', without much in the way of features. Throw in a party of 4 or 5 PCs, and that's pretty cramped. It's fine for a pitched battle AD&D style, where generally you're going to form battle lines and resolve combat quickly through attrition over a few rounds. For 4e's granular, movement-based combat, I think things get pretty staid pretty fast.
Yeah whenever i did a 1E conversion and was prepping it on the virtual table, i was seeing the same problem when placing monsters in room way to small to accomodate their numbers + party. I always had to either reduce number of enemies or enlarge room size.

Hussar

Legend
Yeah whenever i did a 1E conversion and was prepping it on the virtual table, i was seeing the same problem when placing monsters in room way to small to accomodate their numbers + party. I always had to either reduce number of enemies or enlarge room size.

Heh, funny how the rules were being ignored back then too. Think about it for a second - all those weapons had a space requirement. IIRC, a longsword needed 3 feet of space - not too much different from a 5 foot square that we use now. So, we pretty much were ignoring most of those rules back in the day because it was TOM play, by and large. :D

I mean, you generally had a much, much larger AD&D party than you see now. 6-8 PC's, plus henchmen and pets, it wasn't too much of a stretch to have 15 combatants on the PC side and 20 on the other.

Heh, funny how the rules were being ignored back then too. Think about it for a second - all those weapons had a space requirement. IIRC, a longsword needed 3 feet of space - not too much different from a 5 foot square that we use now. So, we pretty much were ignoring most of those rules back in the day because it was TOM play, by and large. :D

I mean, you generally had a much, much larger AD&D party than you see now. 6-8 PC's, plus henchmen and pets, it wasn't too much of a stretch to have 15 combatants on the PC side and 20 on the other.

That 3 feet of space meant that 3 fighters could fight in a line in a standard 10x10 area. Also, there could be a row of spearmen behind them for a total of 6 fighters in what is now 4 squares.

More people can fight in a smaller area if they are properly equipped to do so. The introduction of the 5' personal bubble had a huge impact on room sizes.

Halivar

First Post
All in a 5' square broom closet marked 135 with the read aloud description "There is nothing of note here."

Remathilis

Legend
I've never tried 1e to 4e conversions. I would have thought it easier simply because of the numbers. 20 orcs would be 16 minions and 4 regular orcs. That sort of thing.

Back in the day, I had tried to convert some old TSR-era stuff to 3e and 4e. Here was my results.

3e usually didn't work as written, but I found it a lot easier to recreate. The general abilities of a 5th level party weren't too much different; they had access to flight, +1 weapons, and 3rd level magics. You might tinker a bit with the balancing ELs and treasure values (or you might not) but I tended to find for the most part, it worked the same until around 9th level.

4e, the biggest concern was what level did you set it at. For example, a 5th level 4e party had a different power level than a 3e or 2e one; in some areas they had abilities you couldn't get til later (short-range teleport) but in others they were far behind (flight). You had to really scale monsters (for example, drow in a 5th level module) to convert them, and treasure usually went out the window.

And that doesn't even begin to touch grid-combat and room layout.

I guess for me, 3e still felt loosely connected to 2e/1e, enough that it appeared close enough to allow conversion-by-rebuilding. 4e always felt like "redesign in the spirit of", which at that point felt like why bother; I'll create my own module plots.

YMMV and all that.

Remove ads