• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

game conduct...am i being anal?

night_lord

First Post
after last nights game I'm putting in some game conduct rules at my table. I kinda hate to do this as i feel like I'm treating my group like a bunch of kids (we're 25-35), however i think this is gotta happen.

#1. No reading books or drawing at the table ( unless you're looking something up for what is happening in the game). Too many times i have people who are reading books and planning ahead. Then are like "What's going on? Who is that guy?"

#2. No talking about other campaigns while we're playing. We have other people in our group who DM. I think it's rude when players ask question about the other guys game. This just doesn't happen when i'm DMing. I just think this is rude, you come to play one game don't waste time talking about an another.

So what do you guys think...am i being anal? or are these good conduct rules. Let me know some conduct rules you have at your table

Bloodsparrow

First Post
night_lord said:
So what do you guys think...am i being anal? or are these good conduct rules. Let me know some conduct rules you have at your table

I don't think you're over the line here at all.

There's nothing wrong with wanting people to pay attention to what's going on in your game while it's happening.

Reading a book while gaming? If I'm reading a book, I already have something better to do then game and vice versa.

(Sounds like some people in your group have been playing, or rather macro'ing, too much Star Wars Galaxies. ;) )

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
If the palyer is doing something self involved and loses out, that's his loss so I really don't see a point in punishing 'em. Table talk, games, movies, other GMs, should be curbed but friends talk so I don't know if rules are really appropriate. It's a good thing to ask them to pay attention but if people are ignoring your campaign, there might be some other issues at stake too.

MarauderX

Explorer
Your rules are fine. But try to keep the game moving a bit faster so you don't lose them. It's easy to do the same thing when watching a movie that is plodding along slowly; don't do the same with your players. Even if your game is 90% plot/10% action, keep it moving along as long as you don't lose them.

nHammer

First Post
night_lord said:
after last nights game I'm putting in some game conduct rules at my table. I kinda hate to do this as i feel like I'm treating my group like a bunch of kids (we're 25-35), however i think this is gotta happen.

#1. No reading books or drawing at the table ( unless you're looking something up for what is happening in the game). Too many times i have people who are reading books and planning ahead. Then are like "What's going on? Who is that guy?"

#2. No talking about other campaigns while we're playing. We have other people in our group who DM. I think it's rude when players ask question about the other guys game. This just doesn't happen when i'm DMing. I just think this is rude, you come to play one game don't waste time talking about an another.

I've been in some games that had similer things going on.

Your two rules are reasonable. I don't think you should feel bad about using them.

night_lord

First Post
paying attention

"It's a good thing to ask them to pay attention but if people are ignoring your campaign, there might be some other issues at stake too."

Yeah i know that this is something that all DM's need to be aware of. I understand that if I'm boring the hell group then it's not fair to force them to pay attention. I'm not saying that I want all table talk to disappear either cause I realize that that is unrealistic, part of the game is being with friends. What I was asking is if all other factors are Ok am I being anal about these table rules. And what are some conduct rules that others have?

Last edited:

dave_o

Explorer
They're way reasonable, I'd say.

But then again, I had a player who regularly brought a GBA (Game Boy Advance) to sessions. :rolleyes:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads