Games with "terrible" follow-up editions

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
sure, but stating that shadowrun 5e was a confused mess that adds nothing new is anyless edition wars than comparing dnd editions

Oh, yes it is less a war. You seem to be conveniently forgetting history. You are calmly eliding over the vehemence and vitriol of the discussion around 4th edition D&D that made use refer to "edition war" in the first place. People were horrible and hurtful to each other as human beings. And they remember that.

That has not happened around Shadowrun.

So, really, I recommend that 4th edition be left as the elephant off in the corner of the room, because this community treated each other so incredibly badly before, that we are not really able to be civil about it to this day.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I think the absolute worst must be Paranoia 3e and 4e - two editions so bad that even the internet has suppressed knowledge of their existence.
Not sure if you're joking or... (if not joking, which edition are you calling 4e?)

Seriously, they have fewer fans even than "Highlander II" and "Star Trek V" - that's how bad they were!

Paranoia "Fifth edition" (which is actually the third edition) definitely fits this discussion. I'm trying to think of another example of a company so thoroughly misunderstanding the entire premise of a game that they'd been publishing for years and I can't think of any that come anywhere near Paranoia "Fifth Edition". Comparing it to Highlander 2 is really appropriate in that respect - a similar kind of misfire by people who owned the property but didn't understand why people liked it.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Oh, yes it is less a war. You seem to be conveniently forgetting history. You are calmly eliding over the vehemence and vitriol of the discussion around 4th edition D&D that made use refer to "edition war" in the first place. People were horrible and hurtful to each other as human beings. And they remember that.

That has not happened around Shadowrun.

So, really, I recommend that 4th edition be left as the elephant off in the corner of the room, because this community treated each other so incredibly badly before, that we are not really able to be civil about it to this day.
But with a little effort this thread could incubate NEW edition wars!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Paranoia "Fifth edition" (which is actually the third edition) definitely fits this discussion. I'm trying to think of another example of a company so thoroughly misunderstanding the entire premise of a game that they'd been publishing for years and I can't think of any that come anywhere near Paranoia "Fifth Edition". Comparing it to Highlander 2 is really appropriate in that respect - a similar kind of misfire by people who owned the property but didn't understand why people liked it.

I didn‘t include it because that Product never existed.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For me, Hero System 6th. (And it's earlier name Champions.)

I started playing Champions back 3rd edition, with all of the little softcovers, but ended up playing 4th edition for years and years, the Big Blue Book. I didn't really do as much with 5th and FREd (Fifth Revised Edition) but I know those that did. But I have 6th and ... it just doesn't hit the nostalgia bones. No figured characteristics, rampant power and adjustment renaming for no real reason, etc. Just did not do it for me - rather play an earlier edition.

No idea how well it works for people just picking it up - might be great. but as a newer edition it didn't continue the traditions well.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Hm. I think anything I say will be subjective, but I felt that the original Legend of the Five Rings game was pretty sharp. The 2nd Edition really only made a few rules tweaks (the big one was making Skills roll and keep instead of Rings). The Oriental Adventures version was...eh...and the new version of the game feels pretty clunky to me.

Dragonquest 3rd edition.
Both WHFRP 3rd and 4th caused some eye brow raising. I'm really not getting on with 4th.
I believe some Vampire edition had some issues.

And the jump from BECMI to Cyclopaedia just added too much complications for me!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases