Games Workshop And Cubicle 7 Announce Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play 4th Edition

While details are still forthcoming, Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announced today that Cubicle 7 will be publishing a fourth edition of the classic British role-playing game, Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play. The new edition will launch "later this year." The new edition will take direction from the first and second editions of the game rather than the third edition recently published by Fantasy Flight Games.

According to Cubicle 7 CEO Dominic McDowall, "Like so many gamers I grew up on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. It's an iconic setting and I'm thrilled to be working on this new edition of the game. Our team have a huge breadth of experience with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and I’m excited to be able to bring the Cubicle 7 approach to the Old World. We’ll be revealing more of our plans in the coming months, so subscribe to our newsletter and keep an eye on our website!"

More details will come as we learn them.

Mercurius

Legend
It seems like Warhammer is following a similar, ah, career path as D&D: moving away from the traditional form in an attempt to innovate and/or break from tradition, didn't do all that well, and now are coming back to a re-vamp of the traditional form.

vivsavage

Explorer
Very excited about this, especially the mention of the Old World (as opposed to the Age of Sigmar). I hope they go with the fluff of 1e; it was less focused on the chaos invasion and was even grittier than 2e. One request: I hope they address the infamous "whiff factor" of skills and combat. Love to see some of the old artists do some work for it as well.

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
Very excited about this, especially the mention of the Old World (as opposed to the Age of Sigmar). I hope they go with the fluff of 1e; it was less focused on the chaos invasion and was even grittier than 2e. One request: I hope they address the infamous "whiff factor" of skills and combat. Love to see some of the old artists do some work for it as well.

One of the artists who did work for the books back in the day is now the Creative Director of Cubicle 7.

Barantor

Explorer
One of the artists who did work for the books back in the day is now the Creative Director of Cubicle 7.

That's wonderful, I hope they can capture that spirit in this new iteration.

Hopefully it is configured in a way that makes it easy to digest for new players as well. I know getting new folks into 1E is not always the easiest unless they have a bit of knowledge of GW's other IPs.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Interested in seeing how this develops, Warhammer is/was a niche game but with games like Shadow of Esteren, Symbaroum and maybe Trudvang Chronicles (not out yet) have to feel the material is getting dated and what is done to keep the setting fresh and appealing to players.

doctheweasel

Explorer
Interested in seeing how this develops, Warhammer is/was a niche game but with games like Shadow of Esteren, Symbaroum and maybe Trudvang Chronicles (not out yet) have to feel the material is getting dated and what is done to keep the setting fresh and appealing to players.

Not to mention pretty direct competition from Shadow of the Demon Lord, which a lot of players are now using to scratch that Old World itch.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases