• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Games you were turned off of and why

EdL

First Post
Hmmm... I can't say that I really hate any RPG that I've played. But...

Magic, never got into it.

Timeship. Read the rules. Read them again because I couldn't believe that anyone could seriously be proposing it as a real game. To play it 'properly' you had to do some of the things that the religious groups thought we did, that were Bad for us! (Light candles and intone incantations when rolling dice, etc.) Never played it, never will.

Rifts, never played it. Too power-gamey. And I usually don't have anything against some power gaming. (On the other hand, I do like the original Palladium RPG.)

Lots of other stuff I've never played, but that's because I've never had the chance to.
(CoC and Paranoia I can only take in small doses, but I gather I'm not the only one.)

Sejs

First Post
engrishonly said:
Sort of a black reputation? Vampire?! :lol:

I got tired of the brooding and angst with vampires. If I were immortal, what would I be brooding about? It's party time!

But if you want to "have fun" with your immortal power, then you're not playing it right... or something. You break the angst-ridden vampire drama queen genre.

Heh, actually I think the problem that stands is that if you want to "have fun" with your immortal power too much you're going to go and get your ass caught, which in turn goes and royally screws everybody's meal ticket.

You do that and all of a sudden you're going to find all your fellow fun-havers raining down on your little tea party like the vengeful strikin' hammer of God.

:p

Lets see....

Vampire (or really any WOD game) - the tone I game at, whether Supers, Fantasy or SF is the "bright and shiny heroes" kind of game - in a supers setting it's all Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain America, Spidey. No Cable, no Spawn. the WoD just does not fit my playstyle tone.

I get a lot of superhero RPGs for source material (I play a lot of HERO). I always read through the rules, to see if they are more my style than the game I play now... none of them are. M&M almost was, and I appreciated the elegence of Character design in 1st ed (haven't got 2nd yet) - but the Damage save stopped me... I just don't like that mechanic at all. Gurps had similar problems, I liked character creation, but the combast system just didn't feel like one I liked.

I play M:tG but don't buy a lot of cards. A pack here or there, and the singles I need for a deck. I work at a game store part time, so getting the singles usually isn't a problem.

Henry said:
Just kidding. I've known several people who love D&D, and everything from apocalypse to prehistory, but just don't do superhero genres...

I'm one of 'em. Can't stand the superhero genre -- I'm not particulrarly sure why. Or vampire/werewolf stuff, for that matter.

The Shaman

First Post
sjmiller said:
Boot Hill. Do I really have to explain why?
Yes, actually - I'm curious to know.

BH was my favorite roleplaying game (followed by Top Secret and Traveller) until d20 Modern arrived.

Games that turned me off?

Dungeons and Dragons 3e. The sanitized, safe, techological approach to magic leaves me ice cold - give me quirky exceptions to the rules anytime if it makes things interesting, and make some spells dangerous again (haste, I'm looking at you). Even just using the core rules, I found I couldn't find a group of players other than my own 3.0 group for which I GMd that didn't involve some major powergaming, something that I just wasn't used to as a 1e AD&D player. I can't stand the item creation rules. And it's a bear to prepare for as a GM once you get above 8th to 10th level.

Star Frontiers. Couldn't hold a candle to Traveller. SF felt like a B sci-fi movie - Traveller felt like THE FUTURE...

Sidewinder: Wild West Adventures. Not really all that bad, but just not as cool as the Modern-powered Sidewinder: Recoiled.

Dragonbait

Explorer
CCGs: It never fails, I keep away from them for a while, then spend hundreds on them in a three month period.

Palladium: I used to love this game, but after playing other games I saw how the mechanics were flawed. I thought that it was great for superhero/epic small fights, but large battles that take 3 hours... Now all those books collect dust on my shelf.

D&D 1E & 2E: Got tired of the whole THAC0 thing, save or die, and a good deal of the game past level 6 or so. I'm finding that the massive crunch level of 3.X is taking its toll on me too... I miss the ease to create an adventure that came with the old editions, but I like the balance-minded 3ed.. I'm never satisfied. :(

Rolemaster & MERP: If I have to reference four charts for a single action, there is a BIG PROBLEM.

devilbat

First Post
Games I never want to play again:

Anything WoD: The angst bugs me.

Magic: Played it early on. My friends caught the bug, but I didn't. My cards will sit in the basement until my son can read.

Every other CCG: Absolutely no interst in them at all.

Call of Cthullu: I'd probably enjoy it if I played under a good GM. My experience with the game was a horrible failure, but I think it had to do with the guy running the game.

DungeonMaster

First Post
Vampire. Anything close to vampire. Like say...
Werewolf the apocalypse. The whole "I am a night creature" was fun for about oh, 30 seconds.
d20 modern. I have a life in this world already.
3.5. Had promise until it turned into a hanful of "designer's" houserules thrown into print without any real playtesting. The trend non-core 3.5 has taken towards feat-race-oxymoron class is disgusting.

Remove ads