• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming across the generation gap

Breakdaddy

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
  • An inability to create a character that doesn't emulate current urban/black/rap culture.

I'm not sure why, but the sheer number of guys who seem to think that their Elf needs to be named "DaShawn" or "G-Money" or something akin, and speak in a "Whassup Dawg?" type patois is just beyond me. Fantasy, Western, Star Trek...no difference. Easily half of the youngsters I've gamed cannot seem to get their minds away from the notion of tyei characters being themselves, but "the Baddest Gangstas at the Mall":)

• In Canada, no less. What the hell is the world coming to, eh? :p

nyrfherdr

First Post
Here are some anecdotes from my experiences:

In Portland, Oregon I ran an FLGS campaign. It was open to all comers (dangerous!) and went pretty well. The young players, under 18, were generally well behaved and mature. The 18-21 were pretty disruptive. I don't know why.

In California, as a newcomer to the area, I ran another FLGS game. It was almost exclusively young players. Same as above. The high school grad was the disruptive teen.

When I met more players, I retired the game in the store. Several of the boys wanted to join my home game. Because I didn't know their parents, I declined. I was not comfortable with that and I didn't want their parents to be uncomfortable either. Something to consider if a minor joins your game.

I currently run a game with 4 adults and two children (10 and 14). The 14 year old is the son of one of the players. My son (the 10 year old) doesn't play every game. Some story lines are boring to him. His character is a simple Halfling Rogue/sorceror. He has a lot of fun and it is easy to play as an NPC when he isn't there.

The game is decidedly PG. A couple of the other players would like more adult themes, but that is not possible in the current structure.

It all comes down to style, flexibility and maturity.

My suggestions:
If the kid is a minor, talk to his parents.
If the kid is over 18, let him know that he plays on your whim. You can cut him loose at any time. If you set a 4 session trial or something, make sure that it doesn't imply that he is 'safe' afterwards. His play style may very well change after the 'grace' period is over.

The potential for finding a good player is too high not to give the guy a chance.
Most of us started as teenagers. I think many of us were mature enough to play with the adults.

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

The_Universe

First Post
This is interesting. I'm in the midst of recruiting for my game due to some player departures, and a couple of the potential players are more than a few years older than me (I'm 24 - they're in their 30's or older). I tend to think it's harder to run a game "up" a generation rather than "down" a generation. I don't mind a little silliness now and again, but I honestly think it wonder if it would be difficult to maintain authority as a DM when your players are significantly *older* than you are.

Psion

Adventurer
The_Universe said:
This is interesting. I'm in the midst of recruiting for my game due to some player departures

If there was someone that lived about halfway between us (Indian Head, maybe?) that could host, I'd say we should totally merge groups into one super-group. ;)

The_Universe

First Post
Psion said:
If there was someone that lived about halfway between us (Indian Head, maybe?) that could host, I'd say we should totally merge groups into one super-group. ;)
hehehe. That would be an interesting exercise. Perhaps we should try it some day - I'm sure there's a gaming store with some gamespace somewhere betwixt or between where we could meet up.

And then we would merge like the cat-robot-things from Voltron.

Or something.

;)

fafhrd

First Post
The_Universe said:
This is interesting. I'm in the midst of recruiting for my game due to some player departures, and a couple of the potential players are more than a few years older than me (I'm 24 - they're in their 30's or older). I tend to think it's harder to run a game "up" a generation rather than "down" a generation. I don't mind a little silliness now and again, but I honestly think it wonder if it would be difficult to maintain authority as a DM when your players are significantly *older* than you are.

I moved a few months ago and ended up joining a new, already formed group. I'm 27 and the rest of the guys are all in their 30s, the oldest being 38. Within 2 gaming sessions, their DM resigned and suggested that I run the game. I had some of the same concerns you've mentioned, but in truth it hasn't been an issue at all. So long as you can act in an authoritative manner and know your stuff, I think the game experience itself hides the differences. You might be surprised.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I'm the oldest in my group, at nearly 42. The rest of the guys fall into the late and mid 30's range, except for my son, who's 11. He's begun to join the group occasionally. It helps he has a near genius IQ (yup...bragging) and is more mature than several adults I know. He doesn't get all the pop culture references we throw around, but he has a good time, anyway. Plus, he's got a great handle on the rules and is a really good roleplayer.

I also run games for him and a couple of his buddies. They crack me up, especially the interplay between him and his friend Ken. They play brothers, and they constantly fight and bicker (in character); sometimes stopping in the middle of some crucial moment to argue about something.

But aside from my son, everyone in my group has always been roughly the same age relative to each other.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This has been an interesting thread...especially the emerging trend of older (college age) players actually seeming more immature. Something confirmed by own memories (though it was fun at points).

The late teens and early twenties tend to be "socially dynamic" for people. They can be your best, most die hard players, putting in the time, thought, and effort that gamers with more established lives canot, but they probably also have a certain attitude(s) and issues--from there point of view very big issues--and these can spill over into the session. I looked through some old campaign notes recently...all that venting...

I am very glad to play with 30 somethings that are my freinds. And while we don't play as much, and sometimes are not quite as "creative" or "serious" about it as we used to be, the overall game definatly runs better.

But Psion, you have gotten the right advice. Meet the guy, trust your first impressions...and in turn give him an idea of what to expect. Maybe he won't want to play with a bunch of Grognards ;)

fafhrd said:
I moved a few months ago and ended up joining a new, already formed group. I'm 27 and the rest of the guys are all in their 30s, the oldest being 38. Within 2 gaming sessions, their DM resigned and suggested that I run the game. I had some of the same concerns you've mentioned, but in truth it hasn't been an issue at all. So long as you can act in an authoritative manner and know your stuff, I think the game experience itself hides the differences. You might be surprised.
The age difference gets even more drastic when you look to the younest member of our party (which happens to be me at 21). Some of the people we've talked to are at least 15 years older than me...

Not sure how I feel about gaming with someone that much older... we'll see... :)

kenobi65

First Post
I got interested in D&D at age 17. After playing a few games with the neighbor kids (who were considerably younger than me, both chronologically and emotionally), I was invited to play a session with a group that was mostly in their late 20s and early 30s. It was the most fun I'd ever had, and they accepted me whole-heartedly. I still play with some members of that group now (with me at age 40, and them in their 50s).

(After about a year in the group, when I was 18, I started dating one of the other players, who was 32 at the time. But, that's another story... :D )

I was probably an atypical 17-year-old, however. I'd always been more comfortable with adults than with my peers, and that probably had a lot to do with my ability to mesh into that group.

Since then, we've had another younger person join us. He started playing regularly with us when he was 15 or 16...and again, he was probably fairly mature emotionally. He's been with us for a decade now.

To concur with many of the other posters: it depends on the player.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads