• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming W/Jemal: Planar Quest! (Closed)

Which Setting would you prefer Jemal to DM?

• Meh, Neither grabs my attention.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Shayuri

First Post
Using HIPS has never been a standard action.

In fact, I remember seeing this specific question addressed before. I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Anyway, sounds like we're finally getting through this rough patch, and that's a relief. A huge, huge relief.

Hmm...not sure if this is what I was thinking, but in the current version of the v3.5 FAQ on the WotC website on page 45 there is a question to which the answer includes this text:

A character with the hide in plain sight class feature
(described on page 48 in the PH) can make a Hide check even
if she’s being observed. This doesn’t require any extra action to
accomplish (unlike the sniping maneuver). The character could
attack a foe, then move to a place with sufficient cover or
concealment to allow a Hide check, making the Hide check as
part of movement.

It's not a direct answer to the question at hand, but the implication seems pretty clear...

Last edited:

D'Raven

First Post
I'm done running the show. Jemal it's all yours now that's all the info you gave me. And that better not be wade as in ...well wade. I don't think darrian could handle the stress.

And the other quote is "Any suffifiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from science." not based on.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Thank you for handling the primary exposition, D'raven, I've been a bit busy lately. I was hoping it would go a bit smoother, but everything seems to be going OK for now.

On another note, here's a few examples of abilities like HIPS that are Supernatural but don't state a specific action, and thus by RAW, must therefore be Standard Actions.
Monk's Ki strike/Arcane Archer's Enhance Arrow - Does this mean that if they use this ability they can only make a single, standard action attack?

Monk's Quivering Palm/Paladin's Smite Evil - These ones are grantedly arguable, but I've seen articles from WOTC talking about using both of these as part of a full attack. I think I've seen a feat that REQUIRES Quivering palm as a full attack, and I know I've seen references to Charging while Smiting... things that would be entirely impossible were these Standard Actions.

And that's ignoring most of the 'passive' Supernatural effects like Divine Grace, Diamond Body, Aura of Courage, Darkvision..

Far as I see it, There are two scenarios:
A) They didn't consider the 'supernatural=standard' thing when making HIPS, since hide already has an action.
B) They thought "Hey lets make this require a standard action, but instead of pointing out that unlike a normal hide check, this requires a standard action - we make it supernatural and they'll all just understand, right?"

Personally, I think scenario A is the most likely.

ALL : I know the characters are all gung-ho to do this NOW, but OOC we need to make sure that everybody's ready to go before we continue onto the Statue, so until then we'll be 'waiting' IC. If you have questions ask them, but William and Darrian have told you pretty much everything they know about the Power.

I'd like to get an update on characters.
A) Who thinks they're done, but hasn't received an ok from me since their most recent character update, and what have you changed?
B) Who needs to do work still, and what needs to be changed?
C) Who's waiting on something I've skipped over answering?

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Waiting on an OK re adding the Blindfold power to Ur's goggles (and wether "turning it on" would be a Standard or a Move equivalent)?

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
VV - Whenever's fine. We probly won't start the 'full game' till after the holidays.

d'Raven - Don't worry too much about the followers, just stat william 'in case'.

Scott - could you repost what your current build of the headband is so I can make a final decision?

BF - It's OK tentatively as a standard action to change between the two 'modes'. Basically a 'pull down' lens that covers the goggles, I'm thinking. Actually swapping out two different items would be more time consuming, but if you're paying the 1.5X extra cost to stack I'll give it some leeway.
May change depending on how it works out in game.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
work in progress . . . . .

work in progress . . . . .

[sblock=base info]
Intelligent Items are allowed (In fact, I encourage at least one in the party), but with the following caveats:
Any intelligent item will have: 18 in one mental stat, 16 in another, 14 in the third; 3 lesser powers, 1 or 2 greater powers; 120 ft. darkvision, blindsense, and hearing, Speech, Telepathy with wielder; AND a special purpose. Base price of +10,000GP + powers. You will NOT have to pay the special power cost (But see below).
Also, if it's your weapon, it can be a special material (Adamantine, Cold iron, etc) as a free upgrade.

Player picks the Lesser/Greater powers and stat distribution. (Alignment will be same as Character)
DM picks the personality, Languages, and special purpose/power UNLESS the character made the item with the appropriate Item Creation Feat. (Don't worry I wont screw you over.). We'll decide between us who roleplays the item.
[/sblock]

[sblock=wish list]
* Intelligent item: headband of mental superiority [+6 to int, wis, cha]
* Mental Ability Scores:
* * Int: 18
* * Wis: 14
* * Cha: 16
* Communication:
* * Speech: Languages to be determined by DM Jamal [common +4 more]
* * telepathy: to be run by DM Jamal
* Capabilities: Four lesser powers and three greater powers
* Senses: 120 ft. darkvision, blindsense, and hearing
* Base Price Modifier:
* * item stats: +15,000 gp
* * lessor powers: +20,000 gp
* * greater powers: + 30,000 gp

Lesser powers:
* 10 ranks in knowledge planes
* 10 ranks in knowledge arcane
* 10 ranks in spot (1)
* 10 ranks in listen (1)
(1): both combined to give 10 ranks in perception

Greater power:
* Item can use dismissal on a foe 1/day
* Item can use Arcane Eye 1/day
* Item has continuous Detect Scrying effect

Special purpose
* to be determined by DM Jamal

Special purpose power
* to be determined by DM Jamal

this might be all that is known [to give dm caveat] to enact, gems must be
inserted in blank spots to equal to what is needed to activate power

This headband was found as part of what was left of the bones and equipment
of the defeated Archlich Iredex. It seemed to call to Gerard while the dust of the
battle was still settling. It or rather SHE revealed some of her knowledge to him.

****was wanting the 15,000 gp item level for the 4 lessor powers as I have listed****
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
K,we've been doing intelligent items differently than the book, I've posted the rules on the first page, and again more recently. Please check them and make any required changes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads