TSR Gary’s Immersion in Castle El Raja Key: The Four-Way Footsteps

(Very early 1973, 1st level of my Castle El Raja Key) -- In November of 1972 four stalwarts of the LGTSA (Lake Geneva Tactical Studies Association; of which I was then its current president)--namely Gary Gygax, myself, Ernie Gygax and my brother Terry Kuntz--experienced our first, and also comprehensive, RPG adventure via Dave Arneson’s Blackmoor setting. During it we also experienced the...

(Very early 1973, 1st level of my Castle El Raja Key) -- In November of 1972 four stalwarts of the LGTSA (Lake Geneva Tactical Studies Association; of which I was then its current president)--namely Gary Gygax, myself, Ernie Gygax and my brother Terry Kuntz--experienced our first, and also comprehensive, RPG adventure via Dave Arneson’s Blackmoor setting. During it we also experienced the various levels of DM interactive strategies that Arneson could and did wield.

A very important one that both Gary and I learned from Arneson and were to forward on our own during the play-tests of D&D (in both Castle Greyhawk and Castle El Raja Key and their shared environs used by Gary and myself) was what I refer to as “Immersion”. In other words, the ability through the DM’s properly deployed and timed descriptions in interaction with the players to excite the latter’s emotive states via the imaginative impressions made upon them during such interactions.

#1Castle El Raja Key concept art:notice.jpg

I have written and been interviewed about this in the past (most recently for the Secrets of Blackmoor documentary). In essence Arneson had us scared to death (and running) during the latter part of the adventure into Blackmoor.

Now let us skip forward a few more years of Gary and I DMing players and DMing each other and while considering what we had learned and knew between us (all of the DM secrets shared between us); and then place my PC, Robilar, in front of the primal Tomb of Horrors via an invite by Gary for me to “play-test a new level” he’d just finished... There should be no wonder whatsoever why I was so cautious then, for the proof of Gary’s “design” was in how he initially described that foreboding place to me. Anxiety. It was a staple for both of us, but you could not relieve such a tension unless you faced your building fears...

Several years before that ToH play-test, in a mind far, far removed in conceptual time, I had affected Gary’s perceptions and worked in this same doubt and anxiety. This was during Gary’s earliest forays into Castle El Raja Key with his PCs Yrag and Mordenkainen.

#2_Morden1_small.jpg

The interchange between EGG as player and myself as DM went like this as he entered a four-way:

R: “You hear footsteps to the east.”​
G: “We beat it north and stop to listen...”​
R: “The footsteps recede to the south.”​
G: “Huh? We go back to the four-way...”​
R: “You hear footsteps to the west.”​
G: “We run back north and stop to listen.”​
R: “The footsteps move off to the east.”​
G: “Heh? We go back to the four-way...”​
R: “You hear footsteps to the south.”​
G: “We run north and prepare for battle...”​
R: “The footsteps enter the four-way and proceed north, right towards your position.”​
G: “What do we see?”​
R: “Nothing...”​

This was a magical noise activated by entering the four-way. In each case its origin and exit points were determined by separate d4 rolls. This may seem a simple, “Heh, gotcha,” but thereʼs much more beneath the surface. First, note Garyʼs anxiety factor is on the rise. The real is substituted for by the imagined in this instance. Are the next footsteps he hears, perhaps hours later and at a different point in the adventure, then real or a hoax? And... If one encounters these future footsteps and we describe them with the same cadence and tone as at the four-way, what are the possible mental affects on a player experiencing this combination?

#3lv 1 cerk fw foot.png

Also compare: If it had instead been an encounter with goblins, for instance, this “physical” encounter would not have fashioned itself as anxiety in fantasy immersion terms but primarily in game terms only, and then only briefly as the mind moved to focus on the combat and statistics side through immediate evaluation of circumstances. In the former instance evaluation occurred after anxiety and doubt had been fully achieved. The repetition of the footsteps continued to grow anxiety and doubt because Gary could not relieve these by identifying the source and thereafter dispensing with it through combat. The initial anxiety is removed at the end, but a greater doubt (and respect) for the environment now exists.

Where does this early immersive aspect that both of us utilized as DMs derive from? Well it starts many places in life, when one is spooked as a child by “those shadows in the room,” or when one is reading a scary bit in a story, or when being affected by scenes from a movie. Both Gary and I were big Alfred Hitchcock fans and Hitchcock was the master of suspense and, due to that, of anxiety.

Both Gary and I immediately recognized, and separated, the game parts from the immersive world, the latter which we concentrated on. Itʼs Fantasy after all; and one doesn’t summon fantastic moods by having PCs strolling down dungeon corridors as if they are doing a Sunday walk in the park. This idea had been re-initiated when this new, immersive medium had been made known to us by Arneson in 1972. It was just a matter of using staged, verbal elements (as in film or story) for making striking (and well-timed) visual impressions upon the playersʼ minds. Gary and I never let up on our players in this regard; and that included when DMing one another.

This particular encounter occurred very early in the 1st level of my castle. From that point forward Garyʼs usual daredevil approach became much more restrained. I had earned a respect (for me and the environ) by placing doubt in his mind: not everything could be assumed to be what it first appeared to be. So the Gygax and Kuntz credo was: Always keep your players guessing; and the best way that is accomplished is to always keep them at the edge of doubt through rising and falling anxiety.

#4 EB Castle final web:notice.jpg

Consider my last (for now) commentary on this strategy that Gary and I held as a sacred rule of thumb (all of which I fully expand upon in forthcoming works):

Imagine: You’re in this foreign environment with decrepit rooms, cobwebbed walls and uneven and stained floors, and wherein the smell of decay and other foreign scents are constantly assailing you; where noises are at times close and closing or far-away and receding, with both instances offset by periods of eerie silence; then a pitter patter of something scurrying; then a wretched squeal, more silence, and then a gust of wind filled with the stench of ages that blows out your torch... And so it goes. We can either work particles such as these into the adventure and achieve immersion or ignore them as inconsequential and continue in game mode to the “next door or room.” One route leads to Fantasy plus a die roll, while the other leads only to the latter.

Image and Text Copyright 2019, Robert J. Kuntz.

Robert J. Kuntz

Robert J. Kuntz

TSR Veteran

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Perhaps taking the line of thinking to the extreme – it suggests that by omitting a ‘call’ option from the mechanical apparatus or severing the link between the conceptual game component and the mechanical component – the players are left with doubt (overburdened with conceptual possibilities). Not knowing the ‘fixed’ rule to apply leaves not only fear and doubt but immersion by blurring the distinction between player and character (as both are in doubt).

More and more I am a huge advocate for the original game and methodology. Many years of fiddling with this and that rule, all in order to somehow capture more of the essence of reality?

The more rules people fill their heads with the farther they get from the active ingredient such as you describe in this article. It makes me think of games like Cthulu where one has an actual mechanic to define fear. Once you turn experience into mechanical properties you've actually lost the essence. It just vanishes.
It's a delicate balance.

Not enough mechanics can leave the DM without hooks to work with and, furthermore, game mechanical consequences can definitely ratchet up the players' experience if well-implemented and employed. However, too many rules goes the other way. I know some players who seem to be unable not to play the character sheet rather than a character. I've found that others have a much easier time with going off the sheet. I know there have been times I got caught up in the sheet too, so there's definitely a problem that happens with too many defined rules.

Also, I do think that the more rules-heavy games often arose out of the desire to have rulings that cut down on arguments and to protect players from arbitrary DM rulings. Certainly that was a big motivation for both 3E and 4E in their own way. The authors wanted to have the system sufficiently defined so as to avoid many of the kinds of problems and exploits that had often plagued badly worded spells and such in prior editions. However, quite ironically I felt that both systems really encouraged rules-oriented thinking among players, even ones who'd not been that way before.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Immersed players: great. Players who spend ten minutes opening a (every) door because it might have a magical trap: whoops, I might have overdone it.

Yeah, I think that's a real potential problem. Unfortunately when the DM says something many players (quite rightly) suppose that it's relevant. This means that atmospherics can, if one is not careful, become momentum-killing red herrings.

My last word on Immersion lest I write a chapter on the subject. Perhaps I can meet some players from here some day to demonstrate during a game session how we implemented this open approach. It would be thrilling!

From A NEW ETHOS IN GAME DESIGN. ©2013-2019 Robert J. Kuntz. All Rights reserved

There are many reasons for summoning and sustaining immersion in a fantastic environment. A major one is that it’s a fantastic environment. It begs to be treated as such; and the complete absence of this keeps the players psychologically in real world/game mode. There, they tend to treat elements as merely disposable objects, flat statistics and immovable types, i.e., as cardboard cut outs of the game component present for their fulfillment as gamers only.

By immersing the players these components instead take upon their Fantasy world duties, so to speak. They become alive, just as the PCs are “alive” within the immersion. Cause and effect are brought to the surface. There is now the possibility of consequences for every action; and every element can take upon real world proportions, for these are now passively understood in terms of the immersion whereas they had been perceived previously as causal resources in game terms.

This can be accomplished “in” the players whether they are interfacing with organic non-organic, or supra-elements in the environment. Thus a simple object may be of consequence. Then again, it may not. In either case establishing mood achieves doubt, and doubt will tend to slow the players’ resolves to treat your environments as mere walks in the park, just another room and encounter after the next. It will also make the encounters less numbers and statistics in their minds; and thus there will always be a measure of uncertainty regarding them, whether it is a single goblin found wandering in the corridor or a drop of water on an otherwise dry wall.

Therein also lies the path for making your elements speak things to the players without a voice, without acts, and not just in meaningful game terms, but in a riot of meanings imagined and sorted out in Fantasy world terms. Thus wonder takes upon its duties and fulfills them. And wonder cannot achieve its tasks that you set out for it through the Game component in a Fantasy Role Playing Game, but only through an immersion that leads to the Fantasy part of that title. And only through specifically affecting your player’s moods and thereby getting them to invest in your environment will the latter ever be summoned.

When all of these elements conjoin, that is, when you successfully sustain immersion, there grows an acute respect for the environment and for you as GM which is otherwise sacrificed to the game component; and if the latter persists, a pattern develops wherein player expectations become geared to that interface alone. In other words they tend to then start taking things for granted. If one establishes respect early on there is a greater chance that they will also become cautious players and thinkers; and thus the immersion tends to direct players away from standardization and to specification, i.e., growth. And as they mature, you mature as a GM, and so will your fantastic environments.

Hussar

Legend
Heh, it's kinda funny how different groups react to the same thing. I know that our groups back then (and today) would react very differently to the "noise in the hall" thing. We'd be the first to head toward the noise! After all, there's something there making noise, so, let's find out what it is.

I've never really played in groups that actively tried to avoid stuff before. Would make for an interesting change.

Heh, it's kinda funny how different groups react to the same thing. I know that our groups back then (and today) would react very differently to the "noise in the hall" thing. We'd be the first to head toward the noise! After all, there's something there making noise, so, let's find out what it is.

I've never really played in groups that actively tried to avoid stuff before. Would make for an interesting change.
It would have been easy to kill you guys off in Castles Greyhawk or El Raja Key. Just put a noise maker on the opposite side of a secret pit trap with spikes... :) I really believe that the difference then<>now is the fall of the dungeon crawl due to the rise of the mission adventure and the given that such latter modules, paid and bought for, were to be challenging yet defeatable, with this knowledge being up front and already taken for granted. BitD there were no such guarantees; and it's not that we stacked the cards level wise against the players, but we introduced enough uncertainty in encounters and their levels/tricks to make our players more cautious and circumspect in their long term investigations of our climes.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I really believe that the difference then<>now is the fall of the dungeon crawl due to the rise of the mission adventure and the given that such latter modules, paid and bought for, were to be challenging yet defeatable, with this knowledge being up front and already taken for granted. BitD there were no such guarantees; and it's not that we stacked the cards level wise against the players, but we introduced enough uncertainty in encounters and their levels/tricks to make our players more cautious and circumspect in their long term investigations of our climes.
Y'know, that's an interesting contrast, because neither of those approaches - neither the challenging scenario with a win condition, nor the paranoid treasure-hunting - bear all that much resemblance to the usually called-out sources of inspiration. Not myth/legend, not pulp like Lovecraft, S&S like REH, High Fantasy like Tolkien, nor even Vancian sci-fi, or irreverent 70s genre-benders, or rollicking action movies.

I can see how the module, with a defeatable scenario, was inspired by wargaming and even boardgaming, and may have inspired/fed-upon videogames and CRPGs as they came into the mix.

But, were there some other sources of inspiration drawn upon in those early days, for the dungeon-delving paradigm?

But, were there some other sources of inspiration drawn upon in those early days, for the dungeon-delving paradigm?

Sure. You named one of them, in part, REH's Conan. But let us not go down that literal-to-lineal path too soon as it was Arneson who abstracted it into game form after, according to his interviews, after reading Conan stories and then taking some graph paper and drawing dungeons for his haunted castle, Blackmoor. So the form he revealed to us in 1972 was a 'crawl which we literally translated and which Gary pursued in D&D, and which we all experienced in the play-tests. The idea of linkage to set-in-stone stories, then, was actually an afterthought inspiration taken to an abstracted Nth degree. There is probably no where in fantastic literature where one enters, re-enters and continues exploring a Castle ad infinitum or for treasure as reward (though there is that too, especially in Folk tales, et al). So it really is an amalgamated form distinct from but yet drawn in part from inspirational swaths of literature, folk tale and legend, stamping it with its own pedigree as a new form of fantastic expression.

After I was done typing, Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser also occurred to me as feeling somewhat similar in tone, though more daring.
But they were often given missions, too.
Sure. As the 'crawl proceeded in the playtests, we made up stuff which linked to solid history, which could then go this way or that within the conceptual sphere and with that was eventually born the solidified and standardized Mission adventure (by way of Palace of the Vampire Queen through Wee Warriors). Even though Robilar, my PC, had specific missions we did not sense the fantastic surround as being just that alone. Times have changed regarding such options.

Yenrak

Explorer
This is great, Rob. Thanks for sharing.

Here's some immersive fun I've had recently. The party found a wand of lightning bolts in an ancient tomb built for knights whose order was dedicated to ridding the area of a blue dragon. The order is gone but the dragon is still around. Lately, the character wielding the wand has started to have dreams about an army of statues worshiping the dragon. And sometimes he sees things, flashes of lightning illuminating figures that aren't there.

This was all just meant to be atmospheric but it creeped the other players out enough that they decided to steal the wand from him and lock it in an iron box.

Remove ads

Remove ads