Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

dnd3dm

First Post
I was shocked at this news. I had always wanted to meet the founder of my favorite hobby (tabletop RPGs, D&D in particular). I would have liked to shake his hand and thank him for creating a new medium for our imaginations. It is amazing to think that a former insurance salesman from Wisconsin could have influenced publishing and entertainment as much as he did.

He will be missed. Condolences to his family and friends.

Shalom, Mr. Gygax. Thanks for a gift that will last lifetimes beyond yours.

Dr. Harry

First Post
Eosin the Red said:
Hey Gary,

It is a little late but thanks for helping me through those teenage years. It would have been much harder if you hadn't shown me how to fight monsters.

Randy

I read all of the tributes up to where I am posting, and this (along with one another) was what I thought was the most like what I would have liked to have said. Please allow me to second this, if I may.

Harry

darrell I

First Post
Just like so many of us Gygax's works have been a prime factor in the shaping of my life since I discovered RPGs 25 years ago. For that I owe him much.

I was lucky enough to have met him when he came over for Gen Con UK back in 2000 for the launch of 3E. He was fun guy to chat to. I just regret missing what happened on the Sunday. My wife was with our son in the trade hall, and he playfully attacked someone with a toy sword. The "victim" turned, and duelled across the room with him, finally stopping to give him some pointers on his swordsmanship. My son was only 18 months old at the time. His opponent was Gary...

Rest in peach Gary. My condolences to your family.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads