Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

zen_hydra

First Post
Considering how I usually feel about death, I am surprised by how much I actually feel about Gary Gygax’s death. While I never met him in person, I exchanged several letters with him. He was a considerate and gracious man, and he was a father of a hobby, which I love. I offer my condolences to his family. Thank you Mister Gygax.

skinnydwarf

Explorer
I saw the news out of the corner of my eye as I closed my email earlier today. My jaw dropped, and I felt awfully sad to read about the death of someone I had never met, and only posted a message or two towards in my life. But like many of you, my life would have been very different if not for EGG. My gaming shelf, and the ridiculous amounts of D&D books there (not to mention all the fantasy books on the shelves behind me) wouldn't be there without him.

I've had so many great times because of the guy.

He will be missed.

I've been trying to find something new to read since finals ended, but nothing is grabbing me. I think I'll dig out some Gord the Rogue tonight.

Wolv0rine

First Post
Like Henry, I'm this late, and like Henry there's nothing I can add that hasn't been said for 9 pages so far.
I owe a great part of who I am as an adult to Gary, I treasure the very few times I traded posts with him here, as I never met him in person. And I am deeply saddened. I think we all send out our deepest condolences to his family, and wish there were better condolences for them, and ourselves, to send and receive.

I hope the designers of 4E do a double-check of the new edition, asking themselves if it has met the bar as the Official current incarnation of the work he began. While he was denied a voice in D&D for these many years, D&D should never, never forget it's father.

We miss you already, Gary.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I learned of his death minutes after it hit the 'net at just before 9:30AM. When I announced his death to the rest of the household the stormclouds lingering since yesterday afternoon opened up. Within 30 seconds of my telling my gf that he'd died three loud strokes of thunder that rattled the windows sounded. They were the only thunder of the entire storm and it only stopped a bit after 6pm. It was kind of creepy, like the storm had been waiting for the news to drop.

All I can say is that I wish I'd gone to last year's GenCon just for that last chance to tell him how much I appreciate the hobby he created. The years of fun, and good friends, it's brought to me. Gary Gygax you will be remembered, you touched the lives of millions and that is a thing not many achieve during their life. Wherever you are I'll raise a pint for you, and hope your family an untroubled future in your name.

Remove ads