Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

mac1504

Explorer
I was lucky enough to serve with Luke Gygax in the Wisconsin National Guard- and on one summer training exercise was treated to the story of Luke's recollections of his father and the birth of D&D (and GenCon). A few years after I left the National Guard, I corresponded with Gary after our gaming group broke up due to us losing a close friend. In a way his correspondence inspired me to seek out a new gaming group, and I've been playing with that group for over 7 years now.

As a fellow Wisconsinite and gamer- Rest in peace, and thank you Mr. Gygax for this wonderful hobby you have given us.

dougmander

Explorer
I had the pleasure of spending a rainy morning with Gary at the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, MA, back in April '03. He was a soft-spoken, gentle, friendly man, and his legacy is to have created the template for what is emerging as the dominant form of entertainment of the 21st Century -- interactive games. What an incredible legacy!

Harmon

First Post
Treebore said:
As much as I want to refuse to believe it, The Troll Lords announced that they were called by Gary's son, Ernie, and told about his passing.

This feels very much like losing a close family member.

I can't express how sad this makes me, or how much I will miss him.

God, I hope this is a hoax.

We all pass, some of you will go to meet him, and some of us will not. Speak kindly to him for me, he saved my life, gave me a place to feel normal, and in a very round about way gave me my family.

I, too feel like i have lost a close and dear friend (that I have never met). I doubt he would have liked me, but I think he would have felt pride in what he did for someone like me.

Thank you, Gary, you helped more then you can ever know.

Good bye.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
geekcat-gary.jpg

When we were writing the Kids Colouring Book (celebrity edition), I had the pleasure of working with Gary and Ernie on an introduction about growing up with a gamer dad. I think we're all going to miss the Daddy of D&D.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Thank you so much for what you have done for us all, for those few others who have passed on, and for those many who are to come. Your vision and ingenuity lit a way that will not be forgotten, nor lost.

You will be greatly missed.

Remove ads