Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Ipissimus

First Post
In life there is, perhaps, no greater calling than the easement of a fellow traveller's burden. In this, I believe, Earnest Gary Gygax was particularly blessed having pioneered a form of entertainment that has enriched and even saved the lives of so many, including myself. For me, DnD has been a light in the darkness.

The heavens themselves blaze fourth the death of princes.
Rest in peace Earnest Gary Gygax.

the Jester

Legend
I'm such a geek. I'm crying like a baby over a man I have never met. The Order of the Stick tribute really turned on the waterworks for me.

Gary Gygax had a great effect on my life, from the time I first discovered dnd in 1981 onward. I enjoyed reading his posts here, and I send my most sincere condolences to his loved ones.

:(

RPG_Tweaker

Explorer
First I hear that Bob Bledsaw has terminal cancer, and now the grandaddy DM of D&D has passed. Damn... this has been a tragic year for we alumni of old-school D&D.

Gary's contributions to my personal betterment are quite profound. Beyond offering me a great form of entertainment that nurtured my social growth, he inspired my fascination of obscure words and deepened my appreciation for mythology.

We didn't just lose a pioneer in the RPG industry, we lost a favored tutor of nerdy humanities.

I really hope SOMEBODY remembered to buy a scroll of ressurection.

For some reason, I am amazed at the level of coverage in normal media. I shouldn't be. Gary's influence on the world was just hard to put in perspective. I never got say it in person, so I'll say it here. "Thanks, Gary."

Attachments

• egg_on_yahoo.jpg
    egg_on_yahoo.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 147

Aikuchi

Transient
Gygax

I saw this one Penny Arcade comics in memory of.
And I decided to make one now, at work.
It be nice know each one of us has met, played, fought a red dragon and to count each one into a fleet of red dragons who would mourn his passing.
This is my red dragon.

GygaxMemory.jpg

- - -

In Memory of Gary Gygax, Father of Role-Playing (Table-Top)
1938 - 2008

I remember my first Gnome Rogue 20 years ago. Created at level one, died at level one. I hope he makes good company for Gygax in ‘The Seven Heavens’.

To a great GM, who’s passing most aptly departs this world on GM’s day to tnother world. He will be missed and he legacy will live on.

A few words: Gaming inspired me to read. To learn more than what school curriculum books had to offer. It was a gift that could be passed on and cherished through the years. It helped me feel included into a world where children and awkward teenagers often felt excluded. It made me appreciate my rich fertile imagination. Thank you.

Keep Rolling.

- -- ---

Fedifensor

Explorer
There are so many things I could say, but really, why not let Gary have the last word?

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/538/538820p3.html

GameSpy: Last question. I hope this doesn't sound morbid, but what would you like to have written on your tombstone? How do you want the world to remember you?

Gygax: I was gonna say, "Better here than Philadelphia," but I think somebody already did that. [Laughs] I would like the world to remember me as the guy who really enjoyed playing games and sharing his knowledge and his fun pastimes with everybody else.

RuminDange

First Post
Until the next campaign, you will be missed, this is not goodbye, only a moment in which we are all parted with one that influenced our lives so much and gave us all so much to enjoy. We shall all meet again in the next campaign.

Until then, thanks for all the joy and stories.

RD

Remove ads