Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

evildm

Explorer
I'm in shock. I don't post here often, but I'd often read Gary's posts with great interest. He was quite simply the creator of the game, it’s premier personality and figurehead, as well as it’s ardent defender and one of it’s most colourful characters.

This is the saddest GM's Day ever. He will be missed.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
I've never been choked up about the death of someone I've never met until today...DM's day...

Been playing for 22 years thanks to my cousin, and easily the bulk of that has been with D&D. May it live on in whatever incarnation it does for many, many years to come as a testament to what Gary gave us.

Flynn

First Post
Of all the days, it somehow seems appropriate that it would be GM's Day.

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary Gygax outside the Ram at Gen Con last year. He was considered the Father of Roleplaying by many, and I have felt his influence in my life. Twenty-one years of gaming is pretty much directly due to his works. I wish him well in the journey that lies ahead for him, and I know that he is in good hands now.

With Bright Blessings,
Flynn

Wycen

Explorer
One of my 2 goals at Gencon last year was to meet Gary face to face and thanks to his signing at the Paizo booth I was able to get a picture with him. I'm glad I got to do that. Even though he is not family or a friend, he feels like a close friend and I'm depressed.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Wow, this is sad. DnD and its spawn brought a lot of great moments for me and my friends, right through college. Not much else I can say, other than to offer my condolences and a big thank you for those great times. I don't get to play anymore like I did, but I keep hoping that will change.

mearlus

Explorer
My condolences to the Gygax family and friends. Gary has brought much joy to myself and many others. We all will morn and remember him.

-mearlus

armac

Long Live the Legion!
Thank you Gary for giving us this game that I've been playing for over 20 years.

Condolences to his family and friends.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
That's a sad day. Condolences to his family.

...and thanks for a great game, for visiting ENWorld, and making us dream of other worlds, Col. Pladoh!

LT.

Sad news indeed...

I am a "later-generation" roleplayer, with no experience in editions before 3rd, so I don't know Jack about the specific influences of Gary Gygax - but I know that without him, my favorite hobby might not even exist.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Remove ads