Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The most fitting eulogy I could find was this (originally from Knights of the Dinner Table #11):

The Empty Chair
Eulogy for a Gamer

There is an empty chair,
at the table this day.
A hallowed place where,
a friend once played.
The roll of his dice,
my ears long to hear.
Or perhaps it would suffice,
if he should suddenly appear.
With character sheet in hand,
and a bag of Cheeze-doodles to share.
All his friends would stand,
as he sat in the empty chair.
I hear his voice a-callin’,
and it ties my heart in a knot.
For he cries, “Though a comrade has fallen,
You must play for those who cannot.”
We conquered worlds on the run,
he and I in the name of fun.
And as others may come and go,
I make both both friend and foe.
But what I long for most,
is our past now long a ghost.

Goodbye Gary. Thank you for all that you gave.

Bit choked up about this, like most people I imagine. :(

Outside of my immediate family, Gary probably was the single biggest influence in my life, and although I already thanked him for that via some swopped emails its sad to think I'll never get to thank him in person now. Although I suppose no thanks would ever be sufficient for the wonders he has given us all.

Sincerest condolences to his family.

DariusOfCT

First Post
My condolences to the Gygax family. They have my sympathy.

May Gary rest in peace and with the knowledge that he changed the lives of millions.

Krellic

Explorer
Three books and a supplement called Greyhawk had an immesurable effect on my life. Let's hope Gary's legacy continues to bring a lot of FUN for decades to come.

Rest in peace.

This is a hell of a thing to wake up to. :(

I didn't always agree with Gary's theories and ideas about gaming. But I never forgot that, if it weren't for him and Dave Arneson, there wouldn't even be the sort of gaming we disagreed about. Without him, I wouldn't have the only career I can even imagine myself having, because that career wouldn't exist.

When I was first trying to get into this gig, I e-mailed him--out of the blue--for a bit of advice. And he was kind enough to give it.

I could say something appropriately cheesy, like "Welcome to the next adventure" or "Have fun exploring the Great Wheel," but somehow--as much as I think he'd get a kick out of it--it feels a little flippant.

So I think, instead, I'll just say "Thank you."

Last edited:

Father of Dragons

First Post
I started with D&D about when it first came out in 1974. It has been a part of my life for so long I suspect I'd have been an entirely different person without it. In that time Gary has always been there. I didn't know him well, but we had several spates of correspondence over the years. I'll miss him.

Remove ads