Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Castellan

First Post
I'm shocked and saddened at losing such a great influence on my favorite hobby.

Gary, thank you so much for inviting us all into your imagination to play. I've never had so much fun anywhere else.

eleran

First Post
GodSpeed Gary

In 1985 I went to Milwaukee for my first GenCon. My best friend and I were staying at the Hyatt. We went down to the hotel bar on Thursday night to have a couple of pre-dinner drinks. We sat up at the bar and as I looked to my right I realized the man sitting next to me was none other than Gary Gygax, the Creator. I introduced myself and my friend and thanked gary for bringing about such a rewarding pasttime. We talked for an hour or so and he is the one who made me realize I don't like Gin & tonic. Every year from that day forward i made it a point to seek him out in the exhibitor's hall, thank him, wish him well, and get my PHB signed.

We are all very saddened by the loss, and we are all very grateful for the memories his creation has brought to us.

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
Rip

I've played since I was 10, in 1979. To say that Mr. Gygax had an impact on my life would be an understatement. I met him at GenCon a couple of times in the '80's and even played in one of his games. Thank you for giving me many hours of fun with family and friends and thank :( you for giving me Gord, he will always be one of my favorites. Happy GM's day. :(

Severson

First Post
I remember the Basic Edition Red Box under the Christmas tree in 1984, I think. My brother was in 5th grade and he ran our first game for the neighborhood. Years later, the game helped me transition into high school, college, and adult life in successive campaigns. Today, the game keeps me close to friends I may not see otherwise. It keeps me creative in ways I would not be otherwise.

All the best wishes of peace to Gary's family and friends. His gifts live on in our actions.

Remove ads