GaryCon '22 Planning

Retreater

Legend
It looks like GaryCon tickets are going on sale towards the end of July, so I think it might be useful to plan what's going on. I've seen some posts about special ENWorlder games (with @Rob Kuntz ) and meetups.

I've never been, but it looks like I'm probably driving up from Kentucky - provided I'm able to make it. (Flights seem like they'll take as long as driving.)

Any tips for a prospective first-time attendee (I've attended Origins and GenCon)? What sort of events do they have? What has your experience been? Who is planning on going and what do you plan to do?

It looks like GaryCon tickets are going on sale towards the end of July, so I think it might be useful to plan what's going on. I've seen some posts about special ENWorlder games (with @Rob Kuntz ) and meetups.

I've never been, but it looks like I'm probably driving up from Kentucky - provided I'm able to make it. (Flights seem like they'll take as long as driving.)

Any tips for a prospective first-time attendee (I've attended Origins and GenCon)? What sort of events do they have? What has your experience been? Who is planning on going and what do you plan to do?
There's 5E, 3.5 and a great mix of others old and new, miniatures games, demos (Legends of Wargaming and Legends of Role Playing (created and sponsored and overseen by Paul Stormberg with many people from the Old Times (like my brother, Jim Ward and others) running the vents in those. There are special events over the days at Gary's old house (upstairs RPG OS) and down stairs Sand Table games as part of the LoWG and LoRP. Paul wants me to do one of the main RPG events at the house, maybe two times, haven;t commd on that yet. It's about 800 people so you can;t get lost, but the energy and number and type of events are great and diverse. My understanding is that 5E games occupied about 40% of the table space last con. Pretty big share.

Sacrosanct

Legend

I'm going. Got my flight already. Also, first time for me as well (coming from the west coast is a bit of travel expense, but I definitely am more motivated to go now).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
GaryCon aligns with my son's spring break so it hits at a convenient time. We had fun the last time we went, so I'm not opposed to going. But the issue is my wife's health. She suffered a bout of COVID-19 in January 2021 and, while the worst of it resolved, she's one of the lucky recipients of long COVID and suffers much like people with chronic fatigue syndrome. She can't walk terribly far and there's often a lot of getting around the resort to get from one game to another. That's our primary issue as far as going/not going.

We've been lucky, historically, in getting a room at the resort. But we'll see this time. It's my understanding the block of rooms becomes available at the same time as the tickets. If so, I'll try to nab one. That will alleviate some of our issues in getting around, but I fully suspect I'll have to rent a wheelchair for the event for my wife.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Just look for a guy wearing a shirt with this graphic :D

1625247146990.png

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
AirBNBs have been exceptionally well priced. There are a lot of them, the town being a resort down, and GaryCon is off season.
Have you had luck with them in previous years? And how has the parking worked for you coming to and from AirBnBs?

Remove ads