Gauging interest in a M&M game

Voda Vosa

First Post
You're a sneaky one, that you are. :p

I've actually have been thinking about the possibilities of using M&M in for various genres and one idea that keeps coming to mind was retro-futurism ("post-apocalyptic" steam diesel punk pulp to be exact). If anything, what I have is a rough sketch of a setting:

An arid world with huge fortified cities/city states. Heli-carriers. Aerodynes. Mad Max styled marauder gangs and small walker styled mecha.

To that end, I've actually started combing through various source books during my free time to get a good sampling of rule options.

Wow nice setting, I love all sort of pulpy games! Reminds me to Last Exile, if you saw the anime you know what I'm talking about. I'd really love to play that instead of anything else. Really :)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
If you do this, I want to be a diesel powered Iron Man! :D
I always wondered how different deisel punk ironman would look from steampunk ironman; however, I'm pretty sure it would look like Iron Monger.
Wow nice setting, I love all sort of pulpy games! Reminds me to Last Exile, if you saw the anime you know what I'm talking about. I'd really love to play that instead of anything else. Really :)

I loved that series, especially the design on the vanships and the battle ships. Though the one thing that bothered me was how the Anatoray ships didn't fit their Civilization. I personally would have gave them the sleek Disith battle ships and not the ultra modern looking real life inspired ones. :)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
An arid world with huge fortified cities/city states. Heli-carriers. Aerodynes. Mad Max styled marauder gangs and small walker styled mecha.
In full agreement with Voda Vosa on this one: niiice! How do the walkers fit in? Are they the equivalent of military tanks? Beasts of burden? riding beasts maybe? In the last two cases, would you perhaps consider steam/Diesel augmented animals instead/in addition to? The thought of riding a steaming cyborg camel equivalent is very appealing to me for some reason. ;)

For a character concept, how about a sword-wielding touareg? Robed and veiled, his main weapons would be a pair of steam-driven telescopic swords (short range attacks, bullet deflects, jump/pole vault) with a back-up pistol tucked into his belt.... What kind of Power Level were you thinking about?

Voda Vosa

First Post
I always wondered how different deisel punk ironman would look from steampunk ironman; however, I'm pretty sure it would look like Iron Monger.

I loved that series, especially the design on the vanships and the battle ships. Though the one thing that bothered me was how the Anatoray ships didn't fit their Civilization. I personally would have gave them the sleek Disith battle ships and not the ultra modern looking real life inspired ones. :)

Yeah, great series. Plus the way they killed each others in a musketeer fashion was both funny and desperating! I mean, get some cover/armor!

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
In full agreement with Voda Vosa on this one: niiice! How do the walkers fit in? Are they the equivalent of military tanks? Beasts of burden? riding beasts maybe? In the last two cases, would you perhaps consider steam/Diesel augmented animals instead/in addition to? The thought of riding a steaming cyborg camel equivalent is very appealing to me for some reason. ;)
They were mainly going to replace tanks, however, as I was thinking about it more, I realized that maybe using tank sized walkers would not be an advantage in a desert environment compared to using a tank.

Though I have to say, that idea of a cyborg/robotic beasts of burden does sound interesting.

For a character concept, how about a sword-wielding touareg? Robed and veiled, his main weapons would be a pair of steam-driven telescopic swords (short range attacks, bullet deflects, jump/pole vault) with a back-up pistol tucked into his belt.... What kind of Power Level were you thinking about?

That was were I was going to have some fun. I was thinking PL 6 [110pp] with a +/- 4 dynamic trade offs. Meaning trade-offs are placed on individual powers/abilities and not on the character's stats. Sadly, I do realize this means there will be some additional book keeping, however I do like the idea of an everyday shlub being able to jump in a tank and fire it's howitzer knowing it will do +10 damage when it eventually hits something (at -4 to hit).

The important question is of course: Will there be Mutants? :D
Yes. "They are horribly disfigured degenerate monstrosities that practice the 'dark-arts' and 'demon granted' abilities. If you cross one, you are likely to be savagely raped and devoured alive. They live in the wastelands and in the tunnels under the city. Therefore, you do not want to leave the city or explore the under-city unless properly authorized to do so or armed to the teeth." ;)

Now if you are a mutant who looks like a 'normal human,' you probably wouldn't want to disclose that fact to anyone, especially in 'polite society' to anyone you don't trust.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
It looks like I have to put together a recruitment / consolidated info thread during the next couple of days. :)

But before I do, let me just say:

Warriors and Warlocks feats.
Ultimate Power
"Golden Age" equipment (most ground vehicles are not faster then speed 4)

I will allow mecha from Mecha and Manga with some caveats (I have not decides on the restrictions)

Last edited:

Remove ads