Gelatinous Cube vs. Swap Places

see

Pedantic Grognard
There are, of course, three, exactly three, and only three, ways to handle this.

1) It's what the rule says, it happens. Don't ask how!
2) It's nuts, it won't work, and if you try it anyway, it will backfire!
3) Um. Let's see, it won't work as written, logically . . . but I'll let it have the effect of Warlord's Favor in this case (or another similar level 1 Warlord encounter power).

Anyone suggesting a fourth way is actually a terrorist.

Time Machine

First Post
Thanks to everybody for your input. This seems like an issue that will require a healthy dose of DM discretion, which is fine.

I'd like to extend the original question. What if you're adjacent to another creature that is ALSO adjacent to the cube and attempt a "swap places" maneuver against the GC? If it was most large creatures, you'd be prevented from forcing it into a space occupied by another creature. However, the cube has the ability to occupy the same space as other creatures, so it's a little less black and white.

This will again come down to DM discretion, but I'm curious about which of these options you prefer:
1. It doesn't work. You can't force/lure the cube into the space of another creature in this manner.
2. The cube moves into the space formerly occupied by you plus the space of the other creature. The other creature is engulfed/grabbed as per the Cube's usual attack.
3. The Cube moves into the space formerly occupied by you plus the space of the other creature. The other creature is engulfed but not grabbed. It takes ongoing damage at the beginning of its next turn, but doesn't need to make a check to escape.

LEHaskell

First Post
frankthedm said:
No, the DM just says, "you can't trip oozes."

If we interpret "tripping" as unbalancing or causing your opponent to over reach, I can see an ooze being tripped. The prone condition just seems like it could cover unbalanced or any awkward position where you fight at a severe disadvantage.

Similarly, I can picture "trade places" as the ability to take advantage as an opponent charges past you and you slipping behind them.

However, when I consider the Gelatinous Cube in either of these situations, I get a headache I usually reserve for contemplating Escher prints. I think this might be a place to apply Hong's First Commandment: "Thou shalt not think too hard about fantasy."

Larrin

Entropic Good
LEHaskell said:
If we interpret "tripping" as unbalancing or causing your opponent to over reach, I can see an ooze being tripped. The prone condition just seems like it could cover unbalanced or any awkward position where you fight at a severe disadvantage.

I like it, so maybe "tripping" an ooze involves kicking it hard enough to make jiggle uncontrollably, impeding its ability to move/act/whatever. so a "prone" Gelatinous cube is a quivering jiggling mound of ooze that's not quite able to properly orient itself......

as for switch places...in tight quarters its a tough situation, and logic would almost require you to somehow end up inside it....hmmm

Lizard

Explorer
Larrin said:
I like it, so maybe "tripping" an ooze involves kicking it hard enough to make jiggle uncontrollably, impeding its ability to move/act/whatever. so a "prone" Gelatinous cube is a quivering jiggling mound of ooze that's not quite able to properly orient itself......

as for switch places...in tight quarters its a tough situation, and logic would almost require you to somehow end up inside it....hmmm

D&D has always been a bit loose about size/space requirements. In 3e, anyone with a high Tumble could move through the cube and not provoke an AOO, no matter how big the cube was.

I'd simplify the issue thusly:

Acidic Aura (Immediate Interrupt, At Will)
Trigger:Whenever any enemy uses forced movement to both move the creature and enter the creature's former square as part of the same action.
Effect:Attack +X vs Reflex, 2d6 Acid Damage

Give this to any blob, ooze, slime, etc. Any time you do-si-do with a thing made of corrosive acid, you risk getting some on your hands.

Scribble

First Post
The cube has to "change shape" in order to move/ attack. It can't always be a perfect 10x10 shape. There's 10x10 worth of "cube goo" so if it attacks, some of the cube goo moves forward, leaving space elsewhere.

The warlord leaps through that space, and the attack's momentum carries the cube forward.

LEHaskell

First Post
Larrin said:

Watch it wiggle;
See it jiggle;
Big and Scary;
D&D brand Geli Cube!

Of the blobs they'll hate the one,
that fills up halls and weighs a ton
Use D&D brand Geli Cube and
Eat someone!

Dausuul

Legend
I think my way of dealing with this sort of problem will be to tell the player, "If you can explain to me, in the next twenty seconds, how in heck your PC makes this work, you can do it. Otherwise, you do not get to switch places with the gelatinous cube."

(If the PC said he was going to lure the cube forward and then plunge through it to the other side, I'd probably let that happen but give the cube a free attack on the way through.)

Not that my players are apt to be fighting gelatinous cubes in the first place. Although I have to admit, since my campaign takes place in an ice-age setting, it would be a rich source of "ice cube" jokes.

Remove ads