• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gencon 2006 - Best. Convention Game. Evar.

Ilium

First Post
Is the Seer allowed to say "I'm the seer and I KNOW he's a werewolf"? Only works once (the remaining wolves are sure to kill you next night) but it seems that when you're down to 1 wolf it's all over if the seer is still around. I guess that's the real goal of the wolves?

Sounds like fun, but I have to agree with Teflon Billy. I don't see that logic comes into it much.

Mazlo

First Post
There are different roles that can be introduced into the game that can make things a little more interesting...

Using the mafia terms...

Guardian Angel - a guardian angel in disguise, when everyone else is sleeping points to one person to protect. Can choose to point at self. If the protected person is killed by the mafia, then the hit fails and the person lives. The Guardian Angel's protection offers no protection from lynching.

If the sherriff/detective (Seer) speaks up about a werewolf (ala "I'm the seer and I KNOW he's a werewolf"? ) then the guardian angel might want to choose to protect the sherriff. BUT there's nothing stopping a mafia member from claiming to be the sherriff and accussing someone.

The first two turns are really just "kill a random townsperson" since no one has any information but after that the bluffing and deduction comes into play.

--Mazlo

IcyCool

First Post
Ilium said:
Is the Seer allowed to say "I'm the seer and I KNOW he's a werewolf"?

Sure, but so are the werewolves. :D

In the few times we've played, there was plenty of interaction, and after the first couple of turns, deduction.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Ilium said:
Is the Seer allowed to say "I'm the seer and I KNOW he's a werewolf"? Only works once (the remaining wolves are sure to kill you next night) but it seems that when you're down to 1 wolf it's all over if the seer is still around. I guess that's the real goal of the wolves?

Sounds like fun, but I have to agree with Teflon Billy. I don't see that logic comes into it much.

Not really.

For one, the Seer can only check one player per night cycle - and the wolves kill one player per night cycle. So in that sense, it's a race against time.

Moreover, the seer is in the position where it is extremely difficult to use the knowledge he or she has. How do you do it? Propose durng discussions that someone is a werewolf? As soon as you do point out that the werewolf is a werewolf - the other wolves will target you the next night cycle. It becomes very hard to act on the information without "showing your hand" as it were.

As for deduction - it's not that kind of game. It's about reading body language, confronting people because they are quiet - confronting them because they are loud - confronting them because is suits your fancy. How they react to being accused is the game; watching and analyzing how people vote is another. It's all information that flows into the hopper.

Billy - the logic is there but it takes time to get going and start to take on a life of its own in the circle of players. The first few rounds does tend to be random instinct based lynching before the circle tightens and the werewolves start to feel the heat.

It's not a game of deduction in that sense. It's far more like Poker meets Survivor than it is like Clue or a murder mystery game. But learing how to read when people are lying and when they aren't is a difficult skill to master. And as you are learning how to read a liar - you are also learning how to lie more convincingly. As you link the voting patterns and body language together, it all starts to fall into place - but the liars eventually start to get better at it too. It's a dance where the balance shifts over time as the players become better at detecting a liar, then later as the # of games pass, they start to become much better at lying and playing so as to stay beneath the radar in the circle.

In the end - it is easier to detect a liar than be one - but that's what makes it a cool game!

As far as a game you have a chance to play at home? No. I agree totally. Does not happen. Getting that number of interested people together is extremely difficult.

But as I said, at something like Gencon, it was as easy as it could be. It's the perfect Gencon pickup game.

There were two or three pickup games conducted in the hall outside where boardgames were being held in the main convention hall. There were 40-50 willing players all involved into the wee hours of the morning most every night.

Last edited:

thatdarnedbob

First Post
This sounds exactly like mafia with different names, and so I'm going to have to respectuflly disagree about "best convention game ever". I can regularly get a crowd together for mafia here at college, and they don't even have to be gamers to appreciate it. If I'm at a con, I'll use the opportunity to play things I wouldn't be able to with my standard group of friends, like Mutants & Masterminds or such.

Remove ads