• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon 2011 - who's going?

Bacris

First Post
I'm trying to convince the wife to go.

Can't really afford to go as a vendor (this year...), but as a gamer, it's looking like a distinct possibility...

Panthanas

Explorer
So, those of you who have gone before, if I'm not being too nosy, how much does a hotel cost for the 4 days/5 nights?

In my 21 years of gaming I've never been to a Gen Con and I would love to go if it were within my means.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So, those of you who have gone before, if I'm not being too nosy, how much does a hotel cost for the 4 days/5 nights?

In my 21 years of gaming I've never been to a Gen Con and I would love to go if it were within my means.
Hotel cost is highly variable, depending on how far out of town you're willing to stay.

Right by the convention centre, expect at least $150 US a night and probably a fair bit more. If you drive there and thus can commute, you can cut the hotel cost in half or better by staying 5-10 miles or so out of town and driving in each day; parking is maybe $20 US a day on the weekdays and a bit less on the weekend. I've done both.

Best to check out the Indianapolis tourist website and look at some hotel listings. Note that hotels jack up their rates for that week, and the rates you see - particularly for hotels right downtown - will be different (i.e. higher) than what you'll get through the GenCon housing system...with which I wish you luck; housing opens tomorrow. I hope you have the day off. :)

That said, apparently there's a massive new hotel just opened right near the con. centre that should ease the demand a bit.

Lan-"around here VIG stands for Vancouver Island Gamer"-efan

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
That said, apparently there's a massive new hotel just opened right near the con. centre that should ease the demand a bit.

Lan-"around here VIG stands for Vancouver Island Gamer"-efan

That would be the JW Marriott. It looks like the UN Building.

The Convention Center expansion has officially opened now.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I'll be there.

I'm shooting for the Westin tomorrow. I've stayed in just about every hotel within two blocks of the convention center, and the Westin is my favorite. (Managed the Embassy Suites last year for the first time, and wasn't as enamored as most folks. It's a good choice if you're staying four or five to a room, though.)

I'll be running "An Old School Adventure," the 3.5 last hurrah I ran two years ago, updated for Pathfinder. If I get off my ass, I might also run a session of Mutants & Masterminds.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Will not be there, conflicts with work that seem to be falling at the same time as GenCon for the next few years. So, looks like my next GenCon will be 2015! :rant::(

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Oh, and a FYI

1st look at the almost finished ICC expanision. - Gen Con LLC Community

It's been stated elsewhere, but apparently bears repeating, and I want to make sure everyone is clear on this. I really have concerns people will not pay attention and will be upset booking a hotel they consider "too far away." Gen Con WILL be using all of the "expansion" area, first and second floors, and new large exhibit halls. Gen Con will NOT be using Halls A-D, which is the area that the Exhibit Hall was in this year, nor will they be using, as I understand it, ANY space basically in that whole area, including the Wabash ballroom space, and those further down rooms where events like the auction were. So, I would say, coming down from the Westin escalators, essentially, the convention space used for Gen Con will be straight ahead, and to your left, and nothing down that large hallway to the right will be used. However, of course, there will be space utilized in hotels like the Mariott that are further down past the Westin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads