• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon Indy 2007, let's shake the male/female ratios--or not, they seem fine here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
No, I'm not the one saying I want to change the ratio either way. You are.

I think you are shooting the idea without realy considering it,

Most female gamers I have talked to,
  • are Excellent roleplayers
  • are easy on the eyes
  • bath regularly

So anything that would increase the ratio of people like that at Gen Con sounds good to me.

:)

Oryan77

Adventurer
I like where you're going with this.

About 75% of gamers are pretty creepy, but it's down from the 95% of creepy gamers that the hobby used to be made up of.

I would like to see some effort at the Cons to generate a less creepy crowd. Mind if I setup a "Normal Guy" booth next to your "No men allowed" booth? :heh:

The_Universe

First Post
Wyn A'rienh said:
Wait - are you a virgin?
What are you talking about? I was talking about natural d20's. Did you think that I would intentionaly objectify and devalue women by making some sort of crude reference to breasts? UNBELIEVABLE!

I just have to say that I am very disappointed in you.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Also, while we're targeting women, we should also setup a "No White Gamers" booth. Most gamers are caucasian and it would be nice to have more minorities visiting the Cons.

And because us white men are already singled out of everything in life because we have it so good already....there should be a "No White Male Gamers" booth. That'll show us.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
The thing is, you aren't going to recruit women into a hobby or lifestyle (heh) by saying "We need more women." There is no reason we *need* more women in gaming or at GenCon. As QueenD said, the girls got together and had a great time. Over on CM, we have a pretty great group of gals and the ratio of women to men is the highest in any gaming community I've been involved with. I do like having the girls around and being girly myself, I enjoy it.

That being said, you can't change who goes to GenCon. You can, on a local level, try to get more women into gaming if you'd like to. But dragging women who care less about gaming to the convention isn't going to make anyone happy.

To be frank, I didn't realize GenCon was a "men's" convention.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Seonaid said:
I would love to be in an all-female game. Especially with ENWorlders!
barsoomcore said:
You had your turn.

barsoomcore said:
Okay, here's the Story Hour associated with the game I run for a bunch of friends, most of whom are Air Canada flight attendants. The group also included Mrs. Barsoom and a geography teacher. All women, all in their late twenties, early thirties, all smart and funny and more than ready for a little butt-kicking action.

Just_Hal

First Post
This is like a car wreck, I am enjoying TB and Buttercups comments, want to stop reading it but can't stop

By the way, stop being so freaking sensitive, sheesh so many people getting offended or worried they will offend.

Game
Have fun
And wear any :):):):)ing shirt ya want!

Hussar

Legend
Ok, I think those taking this a trifle too seriously need to take a couple of deep breaths.

There's nothing wrong with trying to increase the female attendance at Gen Con. It's not like there's a max limit on the number of attendees. Evening out the ratio doesn't mean less men, it just means more women. Personally, I think that's a pretty decent goal. Our hobby is pretty dominated by guys and it would be nice to bring in more gamers. If appealing to women a bit more equals more gamers, that's groovy.

I don't think the OP is saying we do this things instead of what's already being done. Just that we add to it. Perhaps a bit of poor choice of words and easy misunderstanding due to the internet, but, I think her heart's in the right place.

((On a side note, I think the d20's shirt is bloody hillarious, but I can see how it might raise some hackles.))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads