• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

Satin Knights

First Post
You list your purchases of mundane items in the Mystic Pearl, but you don't have to roll to see if they are available unless they are made of special materials like mithral.

jkason

First Post
Blarghy blargh, and again my rules-fu is weak.

The Inquisitor Discern Lies class feature: it says "as per the spell," rather than "as a spell-like ability," but the rounds / day and immediate action nature of it sort of suggest the latter.

I think it's only important in determining the Will save DC, though, and I can't find a lot of discussion, let alone consensus. Folks who say it's an SLA say the DC is Charisma based. Others point to the "as per the spell" phrasing (and the fact that the ability will be pretty useless pretty quickly otherwise) to suggest it should be Wisdom based.

Thoughts?

GlassEye

Adventurer
I've been thinking about and working on the wiki a little lately. The Adventure Tracking page is becoming unwieldy with all the sundry adventure informations on it. I'd like to make a couple of format changes if there is no major objection. The changes I'd like to make:

• Keep only the Submitted, Upcoming, and In Progress lists on the Adventure Tracking page.
  • Link Active Adventures and Adventure Timeline pages on the Adventure Tracking page. The Adventure Timeline page is a list of all adventures by start date, with currently playing games highlighted.
  • Move all DMC related information to the specific users profile page (like I've done on my profile)

Alternatively I suppose the DMC information could be left on the page but I think the info about DMC earned/spent would be easier to keep track of if it was together in one spot.

Comments?

Satin Knights

First Post
I like it all together as it is currently on one page. I would rather it stays there.
a) It's a bit long, but all the information is there.
b) Switching between multiple pages to track the DMCs will lead to info getting lost.
c) With all the data in one place, an audit is quick and easy.
d) I would prefer others to not be editing my "Personal Profile" page. Yeah, I haven't done anything with that in more than a year, but it seems to me the one page that others should not be editing.

If it wasn't for the fact that one can click on the game link to find the first and last dates of a game, I would say copying that data from Adventure_Timeline back to the Adventure_Tracking page would be good. As it is, that is unnecessary.

The Adventure Logs is what needs work to be finished out. A second or third sentence about the storyline of the game as to what BBEG was defeated would be make the page more interesting than "here is a list of adventures". After the adventure logs are filled in, then they need to be added to the top menu. Right now, you have to chase through three pages to get to the info. In other words, the interesting page of our adventures is pretty much hidden.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I can live with that. Having the information on one page was the one thing I figured would be the deal breaker. Didn't really think about the profile page as being an issue since most people probably haven't even done anything on it at all. But I see your point about it being personal space.

I agree that adventure logs need work. I've been experimenting with some ideas there also as I'm sure you've noticed on Qalabash's pages.

So, how about I mention what bugs me the most about the Adventure Tracking page and see if we can work out a usable format that is a little friendlier than what we have currently.
a) The page is long. I can handle that if we can organize the information a little better because working on those really long sections can be confusing when it is a massive block of wiki markup.
b) No organization to the 'Completed Adventures' list. It started out alphabetical but then adventures were added to the bottom of the list as they were completed. When looking for something specific it's hard to find.
c) Browsing through the long 'Completed Adventures' list to audit what DMC I've earned I could easily miss something.

What do you think about the following format:
Submitted Adventures
--
--
Upcoming Adventures
--
--
Adventures in Play
--(all like we do now)
--then...
Adventure Timeline (tabbed)
2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013
[Takes the place of the Completed Adventues list minus DMC info which would be listed by DM below. Adventures added when they begin play here and by specific DM below. This could be a simple list with the links to Adventure Logs when finished.

DMC Tracking
SoandSo (tabbed)
Total | DMC Earned | DMC Spent
I really like having earned and spent DMC listed together. The only issue I worry about is how device friendly the tab stuff is. I'm also not sure how a list of tabbed information would look. What do you think of the DMC block that I added on my profile page and do you think that would work for our DMC tracking?

Satin Knights

First Post
b) I think that part should be resorted to be chronological. The order in which games finished up has just a smidgeon of more use than being alphabetical to me.
c) I would simply do a CTRL-F search for your name, then repeat until I had walked the full page. So, chasing all the values is not too difficult there.

The link going from the Adventure Timeline section should go to the game itself. I use the tracking page a lot to find the games a player has been in in order to verify the XP they have earned.

The wiki section tabs don't allow searching by the browser's search function in a tab that is not the current view. That is my strike against them. Having to open each of the tabs to look visually for the info you want is time consuming. The collapsible tree format like I have with Tasanto's expected feat progression is also not useful for the same reason.

Let me think on it for a bit. At the moment I am not coming up with a better proposal, so we might go with the tabbed design.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads