• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting a Green dragon out of a lake of acid

VirgilCaine

First Post
Send one or two people to get a druid from the town and have the rest keep watch at the lake.

Another thing to do is get lots of rocks and throw them in the pool, randomly. It might make the dragon so cross it might make a mistake--like coming out.

Eltern

First Post
Wait, the waterfall is going right into the pool of acid?
Have any of you ever taken high school chemistry?
Add Acid, or Do What you Otter, Add Acid to Water
Adding acid to water allows the reaction between the two to occur in small doses and not cause any problems, but if you have a WATERFALL of water going into acid (the wrong way) then the reaction between the two is going to cause a lot of boiling, very quickly, that's going to be very nasty to be anywhere near.

First website I found describing it: http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/safety/faq/always-add-acid.shtml

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
The Fire Elemental is the only one who can get near the water (ironic, isn't it?) If anyone else does, they start taking making Fort saves to not take con damage from the fumes.

And the waterfall isn't directly going into the cavepool itself, right at the entrance to the cave, where the pool becomes a river. It's still creating lots of noxious vapors.

jerichothebard

First Post
Liolel said:
About the base thing, I think that it didn't work, because it at least to me seemed to be getting to much into the realm of science and some dm's limit how much science work's and other's would just assume its out of the knowladge of your characters. Someone can correct me and tell me that its more basic then it seems, but I doubt it was well know science at the time period D&D is partly based on, and with magic in the world a lot less science would be studied.

my response to that would be, make an Alchemy skill check, DC something reasonably high, but not out of reach of 2nd level characters, maybe 17.

Make it? Then you know about acid / base reactions.
Didn't? Then you don't.

acid/base reactions are the fundamental building block of a huge part of chemistry. Chemistry as a science is based on the work that alchemists did trying to discover the Philosopher’s stone and turn lead into gold, and all that. Therefore, it is pretty logical that someone with alchemy skill would know to use limestone to counter hydrochloric acid.

And since Alchemy cannot be used untrained, it limits the lucky-roll syndrome.

The skill system is there to be used, folks! ;)

jtb.

guedo79

Explorer
Ao the Overkitty said:
I missed the session with the Nixies, so I don't know for sure. I believe that they need the Nixies as character references or something (Guedo, want to fill us in on this?)
The villagers of the near by town have been bothered by the Nixies and want them moved. Someone in town lost a green dragon egg a few weeks or months ago. We can get references from both the villagers and egg person which would let us into the adventures guild. So we want to make the Nixies happy by giving them back their home(the cave) and capture/kill the dragon for two references. With the two that we already have it should get us in.

MutantHamster0 said:
How big is the entrance to the cave/ the river? If you could do something to seal off the entrance of it he would eventually suffocate and you wouldn't have to worry about fighting it.
The problem with plugging up the hole would be the Nixies could live there. If we don't move the Nixies they will start a 'war' with the villagers again.

epochrpg said:
He is in water and won't come out? Blast it with lightning! If you cannot cast that spell, go find the local druid (hey you said you were miles from any town, there has to be a druid in this wilderness, right?) and tell him about this evil dragon that is polluting the water! Then have him cast call lightning on it (1 blast every round for # round = to his level, right?). Lightining will conduct electricity in there and burn him!
I like this idea. I beleave, we found bits that could be traced back to a low level druid that is missing. Ivan, my holyphant, can fly to town and snag a high level druid easy with this information. mmmmm, toasty dragon.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Unfortunately, none of is have alchemy.

The bard has knowledge arcana & spellcraft and perform type stuff. the druid/ranger has nature type stuff. The rogue has sneaky type stuff. the barbarian can hide, spot, and be imposing (funny that he has no ranks in hide and it's by far his best skill). I think the cleric is diplomatic and knows about religious stuff.

scholar

First Post
suggestion that got over looked in game, take the hoard, and eventually, the dragon will come to us...
thus spoke the lawful pragmatic hobgoblin with no name
j
oh yeah, btw, I wasn't there for the deal with the nixies, so I don't feel I'm required to honor it :D :D

Last edited:

Kandor

First Post
Go Fishing

Get a grappling hook and chain (something the acid won't corrode quickly) Take a small boat (again, protect from acid) out onto the pond. Use 1 or 2 people in the boat, but keep most on shore anchoring the chain. Throw the grappling hook over the side of the boat, pull towards shore, and try and snag yourself a dragon.

Once caught, pull ashore and fight.

May take a while, but I've seen patient fishermen do this all day - day after day - and call it fun.

Thanee

First Post
Erm, and you don't think that the dragon might just capsize the boat from below? ;)
Besides, they would be exposed to the fumes the whole time.

Unless I was immune to acid, I would not want to be in such a boat! ;)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads