GF9 is updating the D&D 5E SPELL CARDS

The spellbook cards from Gale Force 9 were generally positively received, but they did have their fair share of criticism. Gale Force 9 has heard that criticism, and is updating the cards. The new ones have rounded corners, and a concentration notation, which were the two main complaints about the cards. These new cards should be headed to stores right about now. Finally, tow missing spells have been added, and small add-on packs will contain archetype cards. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop).

The spellbook cards from Gale Force 9 were generally positively received, but they did have their fair share of criticism. Gale Force 9 has heard that criticism, and is updating the cards. The new ones have rounded corners, and a concentration notation, which were the two main complaints about the cards. These new cards should be headed to stores right about now. Finally, tow missing spells have been added, and small add-on packs will contain archetype cards. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop).

Here's GF9 on the new cards:

Hey everyone,

The new versions of the cards should be making their way to stores now.

To answer some of your questions, These cards will have a large C (in a coloured diamond) in the duration field to denote spells that require concentration.

The easiest way to identify the new cards also relates to one of the issues people had, the sharp corners. The updated cards will have lovely rounded corners on them.

In regards to ritual tags, you'll find that ritual spells have always been labelled as such. On each card, directly underneath the spell's name, is a line that reads, "1st-level divination (ritual)" to use Detect Magic as an example.

Finally, the two spells that were missing (Destructive wave for Paladins, and Mislead for Arcane casters) have been put back in their rightful place.

And in some exciting news. We've heard the complaints from people who are disappointed that archetype cards are missing from the decks (Light Cleric's Fireball etc.) so we are currently looking at ways that we can produce small, add-on packs that will contain these cards.

Spellbook-cleric-Cover.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think it would be a great PR move if GF9 would post a pdf of the two missing cards. Anyone who bought the first printing could print them out and at least be playing with a full deck (sorry). It would cost GF9 very little, and would also show potential new customers what the cards in general are like.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did that.

machineelf

Explorer
For folks with the previous decks (I have the Druid one, for instance), has anyone tried using permanent marker on them? I'm thinking of just adding a "C" to the concentration spells in that deck and then buying the new decks for all of the other classes.

Yes I did this. I used a Sharpie fine point pen and it worked just fine. I put a "C" in the concentration box. Won't need to do this for the new cards, so that's nice.

edmud

First Post
Oh no, I just ordered all of these a few days ago but have not received them. Any chance my sets of cards will be the new versions?

Flames Of War Order #000-92335-120400-20150128

S

Sunseeker

Bit late on that front. I have myself complete text (pita to enter), every spell, all for under approx $10 USD, and if one gets damaged, I can replace for pennies.

They released their cards almost as soon as the PHB launched, so they're certainly not late.
Their cards are also much more durable than simple paper and also colorful and have nice backgrounds. Of course if you don't care for asthetics, well that's up to you, but it's also nice that they'll fit in standard MTG card sleeves for extra protection.

edmud

First Post
Oh no, I just ordered all of these a few days ago but have not received them. Any chance my sets of cards will be the new versions?

Flames Of War Order #000-92335-120400-20150128

Safe! Appears I am down for the new version of cards. :)

Sacrosanct

Legend
What I did with mine was put the ones in my PC's spellbook in protector sheets. You know, like what we used to do with baseball cards; 9 card slots to a sheet, and they fit in any binder. Thus is my PC's "spellbook" ;)

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Thanks for the sharpie tip!

How will stores and customers differentiate between the sets? Are they going to have a new cover, or state "Revised" on the box or anything?

S

Sunseeker

I'm using card stock, in the form of cheaply available common 3x5 index cards. The pretty formatting takes up space that goes towards making sure the full text vs a reference is present.

I'll be honest, I read each spell I use once. Then I break it down to the useful bits. I had one player who always read off the full text of any spell he used when there was a question and seriously there's just too much fluff and it wastes a lot of time.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I'll be honest, I read each spell I use once. Then I break it down to the useful bits. I had one player who always read off the full text of any spell he used when there was a question and seriously there's just too much fluff and it wastes a lot of time.

As DM, I need a fast way to know all my player's spells, as some of my players don't always interpret them correctly (Moonbeam spell, looking at you). I much prefer flipping through an alphabetized deck of all spells than flip through the PHB, risking the binding. I need to see the exact text to grok how my players misunderstand the text and point out how it really works.

Remove ads

Remove ads